Who's your hoped-for 1st round picks for the Canadiens?

shortcat1

In no way is Gillies a blue chipper. Even Chad Kilger showed more in junior.

Gillies would have better upside if he was converted back to D (his position in bantam). I've seen him play many times. He can dominate, mainly because his speed is exceptional, but he doesn't make his linemates any better and isn't good at finding open ice. I like how he carries the puck from the back end, along with his skating and his hard hitting would come in just as handy on D as it does on the forecheck.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In no way is Gillies a blue chipper. Even Chad Kilger showed more in junior.

Gillies would have better upside if he was converted back to D (his position in bantam). I've seen him play many times. He can dominate, mainly because his speed is exceptional, but he doesn't make his linemates any better and isn't good at finding open ice. I like how he carries the puck from the back end, along with his skating and his hard hitting would come in just as handy on D as it does on the forecheck.

I didn't say he was a blue chip prospect, he just has the tools to become one if he can develop more.

As for him moving back to D, it could be possible and it has worked in the past with other players (ie. Brent Burns in Minny)

Either way, I can't see him being on the Habs "must have" players list.

I didn't say he was a blue chip prospect, he just has the tools to become one if he can develop more.

As for him moving back to D, it could be possible and it has worked in the past with other players (ie. Brent Burns in Minny)

Either way, I can't see him being on the Habs "must have" players list.

I don't think the Blades want to move him back to D, but I don't understand why not. He played a little D this past year because by the end of the year the Blades only had 4 healthy d-men most nights. One game I went to was a great Gillies moment (which were few and far between). He started at C, but quickly took two bad penalties in the first period. In the second period, Lorne Mollekon (Blades coach/GM, former Blackhawks coach) put him on D. He worked his ass off and really helped get the team back in the game. Then in the 3rd, they put Gillies back at C, and he played exceptional, creating chances with his speed and even getting a breakaway in a tightly checked game. Eventually the game went to a shootout and he scored in that (no goals in regulation), but he definitely turned the game around. But these efforts just don't happen too often. I liked what he instantly brought to the D, though.

For the position the Habs will be making their first, first round selection, I really like C James O'Brien. I believe he has the potential to become an excellent #2 centre. He already has excellent defensive skills, and has good tools to round out his offensive side.

I think one player who is really slipping between the cracks is Bill Sweatt of Colorado College. At the very least he is going to be a good penalty killer and defensive forward, plus I think he has terrific offensive upside. He has mainly been cast in a defensive role due to his skating, but his numbers as a WCHA freshman were on par with Phil Kessel of a year ago if you adjust for the amount their respective teams scored. Sweatt had the identical % of his team's points as Kessel did last year. Billy had a better average within the conference where the toughest competition was. Sweatt is smarter and has less character issues than Kessel did as well.

I'm glad you talk about him, I really enjoyed his play at the WJC but was wondering what was happening with him. could he be a good late 1st round pick up ??

I think a combination of being one of the youngest players with the NTDP while he was there (even though he finished second to Pat Kane in scoring last season), the off season of CC this year, and the fact that he missed a chunk of the season due to injury and WJC play have left Sweatt ranked lower than he deserves.

This years is a tricky one.

Not to long ago Angelo Esposito where the one. Now people talk about Kane and Voracek.

At the same time Turris is the one thats ranked highest.

The teams that needs size will likley look at Alzner and Petrecki.

The Habs will start at 12. If the could move up to fifth or fourth they could be certain to get a real class player. But that same guy could be available at 12th as well.

Gagner would be a nice fit and will be my second choice.

My vote will be Alexander Cherepanov.

Also notice that there's a goalie named Lafleur this year. A must have if he's available in the third round.

There's alot of Swedes ranked high but only one has made huge impact on Elitserien and that's Joel Gistedt. Some people are talking about him beeing just as good as Henrik Lundqvist.

Three another big sleepers from Sweden is Linus Omark, Magnus Isaksson and Robin Lindqvist. They all play on the same line in Luleå.

Edited by ch_nl