The Virginia Tech University Massacre

Pierre the Great

I would like to take this time to thank the media for sensationalism. Thank you for showing the pics and vids and the manofesto. I'm quite confident that other kooks out there will realize that the media will not sensationalize them should someone else decide to do this again...

Thank you media...

...NOT!

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Everything I don't need to know, shouldn't begin to know & never did really want to know!

all in the name of cash - oops excuse me, I meant to say freedom of speech etc, etc, etc.....

LONG LIVE SENSATIONALISM & GREED!!!!!!!!!!!! :puke:

p.s. people have forgotten that with freedom comes responsibility, with responsibility comes ownership.....

(sorry my computer froze up and I ended up with a double post - apologies!!!!!)

Edited by beliveau1

people have forgotten that with freedom comes responsibility...

Yep, I learned in Law Philosophy that (PTG will love this) "My right to swing my arm to punch the air is my right, but it ends at the point of airspace your head occupies"

A lot of people have no idea about this philosophy thinking their rights are paramount.

Going up against the Gun lobby is political suicide and impossible to win.

They won't do anything

Nobody said anything about guns. We're talking about fixing the system so that unstable people like Cho don't get to a point where they explode like this. We're talking about getting mandatory treatment for people like Cho who was deemed a danger to himself. We're talking about helping people who may be a danger to others overcome their problems.

Nobody said anything about guns. We're talking about fixing the system so that unstable people like Cho don't get to a point where they explode like this. We're talking about getting mandatory treatment for people like Cho who was deemed a danger to himself. We're talking about helping people who may be a danger to others overcome their problems.

It's hard to pick out who will be your next Cho Seung-Hui. It's almost a complete toss up. There are thousands of depressed, lonely and/or antisocial people around yet only a microscopic percentage of them turn out to be school shooters. I know plenty of people who I and others find creepy and I've heard people joke about other students being "the next Kimveer Gill" and stuff like that. But in reality, we all know that it would come as a huge shock if it turned out to be true.

It's like picking up five dozen eggs and then smashing the one that is home to the deformed chick. Chances are you'll be letting the real culprit go and smashing an innocent chick at the same time.

The only way to prevent stuff like this from happening would be with quicker reactions. Proactions are useless unless you're going to extremes - metal detectors, security guards watching every hall, etc. Personally, I'd rather have the 0.0000000000001% that a gunman is going to walk into my school and take a couple of shots.

It's hard to pick out who will be your next Cho Seung-Hui. It's almost a complete toss up. There are thousands of depressed, lonely and/or antisocial people around yet only a microscopic percentage of them turn out to be school shooters. I know plenty of people who I and others find creepy and I've heard people joke about other students being "the next Kimveer Gill" and stuff like that. But in reality, we all know that it would come as a huge shock if it turned out to be true.

It's like picking up five dozen eggs and then smashing the one that is home to the deformed chick. Chances are you'll be letting the real culprit go and smashing an innocent chick at the same time.

You're right - there is no definitive way of identifying who will shoot a bunch of people. But I think society in general treats mental illness as a personal defect, when in reality it's not something that can be willfully controlled. In Cho's case, there seems to be numerous warning signs, and the system worked to a point in that it identified that he was a risk to himself (if not others), but unfortunately there was no follow-up. This might be because he refused treatment, but the question becomes should a mentally ill person be making decisions about their own treatment? As Fanpuck says, some form of forced treatment could have made the difference. (Easy to say, harder to implement, because of course this opens up another can of worms relating to individual rights and the state's role in 'fixing' people).

At any rate, your egg analogy is completely off base. This isn't about smashing anybody. It's about getting treatment to people who need it. It's not a bad thing if ill people are helped even though they were not about to kill anybody.