The Score negotiating possible TV contract with habs

gelu88

The fact that it would only be regional is a shame for those of us outside of Montreal.

Personally I think making an english broadcast that is only available in/around the Montreal region is suicide.

Thier numbers would be huge anywhere other then in Montreal region because we are desperate to see the habs play.

Most of us watch the habs in french (even if we can't speak it) just to be able to see the game, I'm not sure the opposite is the same.

Yeah but to get national rights the score would need to go through the NHL not the Canadiens.

I am sure it would also cost a hell of a lot more.

Edited by JMMR

Unfortunately this is the best we can get. At this point, all National rights for Canadian teams are to CBC on Saturdays, and TSN everywhere else. So regional deals are all that available for the foreseeable future.

Unfortunately this is the best we can get. At this point, all National rights for Canadian teams are to CBC on Saturdays, and TSN everywhere else. So regional deals are all that available for the foreseeable future.

Not exactly, out East Sportsnet has the rights for all the Ottawa games and they show 20 or so games a year in the Maritimes. It is possible for the Score to get a larger viewing audience if they want to pay more and go through the NHL. We have to watch the agmes in French or wait for the odd game in English on CBC, TSN or Sportsnet. I watch regardless.

Yeah but to get national rights the score would need to go through the NHL not the Canadiens.

I am sure it would also cost a hell of a lot more.

I'm not sure about that. The deal with RDS is, for all intents and purposes, considered a regional deal, because it's the team's French-language contract. You remember that at one time, the team had a contract with TVQ to broadcast games as well as RDS. A few years ago, they decided to consolidate the French-language rights, feeling that it would be a better value for them and more consistent coverage for fans. The fact that RDS is part of the cable systems of most of the cable companies across Canada isn't relevant to the deal. If the team wanted to negotiate an English-language deal with The Score, Sportsnet, TSN or even Global TV, they could. But they wouldn't get the Saturday night games because they're already contracted to CBC.

As well, when TSN lost their national cable deal way back when, they broadcast Canadiens games regionally in Quebec and Atlantic Canada. The Habs could contract that same area with another broadcaster.

Funny, I know a lot of Francophones who would rather watch it in English because nobody wants to listen to Pedneault.

Agree,.....

Pedneault is over the top and Houde is all over the place and nowhere...... any other options

would make my day.

Agree,.....

Pedneault is over the top and Houde is all over the place and nowhere...... any other options

would make my day.

I am anglo but I watch the games on RDS even if they are on in english because the RDS broadcasters are better than the TSN/CBC guys (who are horrible). If another broadcast were to come along with better commentary (and camerawork) I would switch for sure regardless of which language it was in.

Like some french guys here have said, I think the same is the case for a lot of francophones who are also really starting to get annoyed with Yvon Pednault's antics. Houde isn't that bad, but the other guy is really starting to get under my skin.

There is definitely room for competition for habs broadcasts in quebec.

Edited by Dirty Harry

What is the Score?

The anglophone base to me anyway looks like its Atlantic Canada. As long as this Score showed games there the team will be fine.

The Score is a sports channel that started out dedicated to just showing highlights and scores...but over the last few years they have started to show live sports. I think they show some Raptors games and they are showing some MLS this season.

The Score also were the last national broadcasters for the Expos, only for the final season. Their coverage was horrible and on a tighter budget than the Expos themselves were.

They have a lot of work to do to catch up with other broadcasters. They do a decent job of CIAU coverage, though.

I can't complain about TV coverage for the Habs. Because of RDS, it is better than being a fan of any team in the league here in Sask, including the Oilers or Flames who get the regional Sportsnet broadcasts. Those teams have several games throughout the year televised only on pay per view. I can watch any game I want with a basic sports package through SaskTel Max, or more specialized packages through Bell ExpressVu or Shaw Cable.

I don't know how I lived before I had RDS... I could not get it on digital cable in Kingston but since I have been going to school in Ottawa I never miss a game. I can't ever picture myself not having RDS again.....as long as they show Habs games.

I don't speak French but it doesn't really matter to me. In fact I usually watch Habs Leafs games in French because I can't stand the CBC guys. I'd rather be ignorant to what they are saying then having to sit through Bob and Harry butcher the game. And I have actually picked up some french since Ive been watching on RDS.

I don't speak French but it doesn't really matter to me. In fact I usually watch Habs Leafs games in French because I can't stand the CBC guys. I'd rather be ignorant to what they are saying then having to sit through Bob and Harry butcher the game. And I have actually picked up some french since Ive been watching on RDS.

My favourite penalties are the "double check" and "re.... of the match".

P.S. I know what those terms mean, I'm just having fun with bad translations.

Edited by saskhab

The Score is a sports channel that started out dedicated to just showing highlights and scores...but over the last few years they have started to show live sports. I think they show some Raptors games and they are showing some MLS this season.

In the past few years, they've jumped into the live event broadcast. WWE came in as a minority partner a few years ago, not long after Smackdown came into being. They now air all the WWE's programming. They also started covering AHL hockey about three years ago, when the Roadrunners had their lone season in Toronto. They do need to get better play-by-play guys thought. They also had the NCAA basketball tournament the last couple of years, and they have various poker shows.

A long way from Headline Sports, when they weren't even permitted to show their own anchors live.