Souray Has Successful Shoulder Surgery

JMMR

Don't forget locker room and leadership. Souray is a PLUS not a minus on this team and even Hannan couldn't replace him. Also, with Markov facing the top lines everynight, he's not 100% on his offensive play as Souray. Why get rid of our top scorer ???

Vlasic is O.K. defensively, but Carle? The guy is awful in his own zone, pretty much a PPQB and not much else. I don't think you watched the Sharks play if you feel that Carle, or even Vlasic, is a shut down defender.

We must be watching different games because last time I checked Carle is good in his own zone. San Jose loves playing him in all situation because he's already that good and only getting better.

Vlasic is already a solid dman, he plays like an NHL veteran and SJ has no problem throwing him against the top lines.

There's a reason why San Jose didn't deal any of these guys for Rivet and why they traded for him for that matter. Rivet is a veteran who brings leadership and experience. Not to mention that while both Carle and Vlasic are good, they are still rookies and any good cup contending team will always have a solid blend of rookies and veterans.

We must be watching different games because last time I checked Carle is good in his own zone. San Jose loves playing him in all situation because he's already that good and only getting better.

Ask any Shark fan if they think that Carle is good defensively. As for "playing him in all situations", he has only been averaging around 16 minutes per game lately, so I don't see how that can be the case. Pretty sure Josh Gorges averaged more playing time per game in S.J. than Carle did. They are similar in a lot of ways, size, age, style, etc., but Gorges has been concentrating on being a good defensive player while Carle was used mainly in offensive situations.

Yeah, Carle has been 6th or 7th in playing time per game among Shark defensemen both in the regular season and in the playoffs. He averaged 18 minutes per game in the regular season which was about identical to Gorges, and has averaged just over 15 minutes per game in the playoffs in comparison to over 26 minutes for Rivet.

Last playoffs, when Carle made his NHL debut he was the one of the dman logging the most minutes and was played on all situations. The Sharks coach wasn't afraid to use him at all positions because not only did the team lacked a good offensive dman, he also showed maturity and a quick adaption into the NHL (and in the playoffs too).

This season it's only normal he doesn't get so much time, his play hasn't be up to par as in last year's playoffs but still played good nonetheless. Something the Sharks management and coaching staff weren't to thrilled to see.

That pretty much resulted into Carle and Bernier getting both assigned to Worcester at some point during the season and you don't magically send someone down when they were playing good hockey (in Carle's case) unless you want to send some sort of message across. It's only normal that upon his return to San Jose he won't get the same ice-time again unless he shows up and proves himself and changes his old habits.

While his play is still good, it's only normal that his ice-time gets cut down when he didn't play up to his potential. This isn't the first time it happens in the NHL, ask Sergei Samsonov, I'm sure he'll agree.

Okay a few points.

1. The young all left handed Sharks defenders are all excellent and above average in the defensive zone.

2. Souray did not play top line (evenstrength or short handed) that honour went to Markov and Komisarek.

As for rather having Timmonen or Hannam lets just say it is much easier to keep the free agents you have compared to brining them in from the outside.

Vishnekski from Nashville is out there too, i read this morning he won't be back with the preds, a younger hard hitting D would be a nice addition as well.

I think Joel Lassiter mentioned leader ship, well i don't think anyone including Koivu or Souray are great leaders. For one thing they have led this team know where, being king of the losers still makes you a loser.

I see Higgins starting to become that leader, maybe Lapierre as well.

Yeah I wonder about him though he was a healthy scratch for I believe most of the end of the season and playoffs, could be that he just did not get along with Tortz but who knows.