Kovalev not interested in returning to Montreal,

bobby

Carbo SUCKS at coaching offense. Montreal has none compared to last year in that they are boring collapse back in and don't challenge team. He does not come up with any plays that the gifted players can use it is all cycle cycle cycle and my head just spinZZZZ :huh:

Carbo excels at coaching Penalty kill and defensive back checking in the other teams zone. Where he is weak is this collapsing in on the goalie.

Montreal has a very huge strength, TEAM SPEED, Wish he would use it. Also, he should use a little more common sense dealing with players. He was a player once so he should know how to handle this part of the job. Hope he can learn this part of the job real soon.

Go :hlogo: :hockey:

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Brobin, i think the 2 sides or whatever you want to call it just have different views on the problems with this team not contending in 10 years. It's ridiculous. I do think Gainey is righting the ship. Just a year or 2 longer then i had hoped.

You said the players who are whining were in the doghouse before. I would totally disagree, the last 5 coaches had this core and there was never consequences to there awfull play and effort. The coaches got canned. This is fact.

Your side also blames Carbo, the few on my side say it's about time these lazy slugs who never produce lose icetime and get sat down. If you can honestly tell me what the vets or core have accomplished i would be impressed. The fact is they have done nothing.

If players don't want to be a habs, that's fine with me, this team needs to add character, grit, size and work ethic. Without that, it's not going to matter who is on the roster. This is what Carbo is trying to change.

Well i think that sums up the few of us who hold the players accountable see it.

chris I may not always agree with you but I sure as hell agree with this. :clap::clap:

Wake up, people...the writing is really on the wall with Perezhogin signing in Russia: Carbonneau is killing the team!

I fully expect Markov to sign elsewhere now.

Damn shame.

How do you feel now that you know it was a false report?

chris I may not always agree with you but I sure as hell agree with this. :clap::clap:

How do you feel now that you know it was a false report?

Relieved. This team needs Markov.

Not as relieved as I'd feel if Carbo got axed, but every little bit of good news helps.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/columnist.j...427_085656_6328

this is a very good article on kovalev and his bs

habs rule thanks for the article link.

This sums up what I think of Kovalev and this is just another guy that Gainey signed in a panic move. Bob just has to take a breather and let the farm team develop and only pick up smart average paid players. $4-6 million dollar players who suck are on every team so brain cramps are rampant throughout the league. Look at T-Dot and their useless defence outside of Kaberle. Even he is suspect when clearing men from in front of the net.

Your know in a progression and considering what we gave for Kovalev...it wasnt a bad move in my mind in acquiring him by Gainey.

It's the long term signature that i'm questioning. However lets not put Kovalev situation out of the context like the title suggests...he isnt interested in comming back into the role that was given him during the last half of the season. Frankly, i'm not disagreeing with him. I have nothing against Lapierre and Latendresse but we are actually MISUSING his talent with the lines done, the offensive strategy 5 on 5 which is really pure crap.

I believe Samsonov will be out but Kovalev will be kept. Why? Because with a proper other winger and or center, hell do stuff. I might be in the only ones, but i think he'll want to rebound after this bad year...granting Carbo and him communicate better, he has a good meeting and maybe put with better linemates.

Bad season end of story for me, i think he can rebound. Will he put out 90 pts again? No...did we sign him for too much? Yes however he can still give stuff to this team.

Is he an asset on PP? YES people talk all the time about Souray, but Kovalev creates room for others just like Souray does...Some may disagree with this analysis but i think it's often too unidimensional without many nuances.

Can he give more? Surely but granting his 2 years left...i would still give him a chance for the following year...than buy it out next year if he collapse once again...

I agree with you partisan, Kovalev has tons of talent and no he should not be happy with the last half of the season. To have to put kovalev on the 3rd or 4th line is terrible. However he casued it by playing like a doofuss in the 1st half. Other players wanted to play more than him and put more effort into it.

If Mr kovalev wants to play on the 1st line the only person he has to talk to is Mr Kovalev. Blaming guy and Bob will not help. If he gets off his ass and plays like he wants to be here you can bet he will be on the 1st line in a heart beat. And I hope he does

Bob knew what he was doing when he signed Kovalev. He was quite public about the dilemma the player posed; I remember the press conference after the 2005 playoff, when asked whether he would sign a sometimes-game-breaking player with immense talent who was a headcase, Gainey replied in his laconic way: 'well...you understand the problem.'

Clearly he had no illusions.

So he thought about it and signed Kovalev anyway. Why? Presumably, he knew that the young guns were a ways away and the Habs desperately needed premiere talent, period; that the Habs might be able to get reasonably good performance out of him (this being a city where hockey really matters, Kovy anxious to bounce back after the Rangers debacle, etc.); and that signing him would send a signal to the fans, players, and league that the Habs were prepared to compete with other organizations for premiere talent. He also knew that Kovalev wanted to sign with us and that few other UFAs would do likewise.

So whatever else it is, that's not panic. And remember, he DID deliver a point-per-game season last year. That may not be enough for those who fantasize about Kovy the Superstar, but it's definitely worth $4.5 million. So we're 1/2 on the Kovalev gamble.

And...here's the real kicker. As aggravating as Kovy's behaviour is, I'm not sure that the Habs can afford to throw away talent on the scale of BOTH Samsonov AND Kovalev. You don't win that way, and such talent is irreplacable. If - and it's a big if - Kovalev's knee is functional and he's not just damaged goods (which I've long believed is the real problem here), Gainey should definitely sit down with him and Carbonneau and do the whole 'what will it take to re-commit you to this team' routine. There IS a human dimension to this and the Habs should seek to do what it takes to get the most out of their talent - within reason.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Guys,

Probably should have started new thread, but...

Found Russian website devoted to Kovalev. It seems like they post all his interviews to Russian newspapers and other stuff. It also has a "translate to English" option which might come handy.

Here is the address (I don't know how to put the link in yet :?- ): http://kovalev27.ru/news.html

Hi Guys,

Probably should have started new thread, but...

Found Russian website devoted to Kovalev. It seems like they post all his interviews to Russian newspapers and other stuff. It also has a "translate to English" option which might come handy.

Here is the address (I don't know how to put the link in yet :?- ): http://kovalev27.ru/news.html

Great - one stop for all our controversy needs. Thanks! ;)