Jagr defends Kovalev and Samsonov

Tony

The Answer to montreals problems are coaching, even with Julien we were losing but then again wasnt the right style of play, Quinn maybe not have as much patience but he knows how to communicate with his players, he got the best out of old players who we all think should have retired and only one did recently. So why not Carbo Go back to a A.Coach

For God's sake. We MUST end the rotating coaches in Montreal. Firing Guy would make us a final joke and cost Gainey some vital respect. Since Gainey's rep is about our only ace when it comes to luring UFAs, that would be a disaster. Guy is here to stay - unless he shows an inability to learn and adjust from his failures, which we won't know until next season. Sitting down with Kovalev and being OPEN to the possibility that he might have some reasonable concerns about the team's system, or player management, or whatever would not be a bad idea. This isn't 1964. Players are grown ups who should be listend to if they have bona fide concerns (I don't say they should be automatically accommodated. But a rookie coach might consider consulting with his vets now and then. Pat Burns and Jacques Demers did).

Jagr is practically a generational talent. He's a bit of a prima donna, but he can lead the league in scoring (and always cracks the top 10) without hurting team chemistry or anything like that. There's no doubt about it that he's a great guy to have on your team and should be considered one of the top 10 players in the league today, if not top 5. Was he ever as good as Lemieux? Nope. But he never quite had the same teams either. Last year Detroit lost i nthe first round to Edmonton. Does that mean Yzerman choked and couldn't lead them? No, it means the other team won. It happens.

Alright, All this stuff about Jagr being a lazy player or wtv...does he get 100pts...last time i checked he does so does it matter if hes a little lazt...100pts is very good. Then we have Kovalev i really wouldnt mind seeing him gone, BUT i rather see carbo gone over him since carbo doesnt know how to control his players.

Are style of play is 100% not what it should be it should be a skating, hitting, pressure type of team like buffalo. Not defense that's why Kovalev and Samsonov had so much trouble the style of play is just not what they can play, You dont sign a UFA that can't play your style of play its just usless.

If you want to get a coach that will make something great happen with montreal, Who's very well noted in the NHL and still out there...Pat Quinn yea he coached the leafs but wow the guy can do wonders behind the bench, Toronto was never as good as it should have been. I still belive Samsonov has it in him to be what hes sapose to turn into but under carbo i don't think it's going to happen.

NO! Not Quinn, pls pls pls... I was still following the Leafs quite closely when he was there, and he's DISASTROUS with the young players, never gives them a chance, etc. Considering the Habs best aspect right nowis they're deep on prospects, and need someone who can let them make a few mistakes and DEVELOP, Quinn wouldn't work at all. I know Carbo hasn't been ideal with all the rookies / prospects, but if you think he's been bad, you'd go nuts watching Quinn play the same older players who have practically nothing left in the tank while all our talented young guys are nailed to the bench. I'd rather Carbo got a chance to improve, if he doesn't, then we figure out who to get instead, but NOT quinn.

Quinn would be interesting but I don't know if he has enough patience with the younger players.

NO! Not Quinn, pls pls pls... I was still following the Leafs quite closely when he was there, and he's DISASTROUS with the young players, never gives them a chance, etc. Considering the Habs best aspect right nowis they're deep on prospects, and need someone who can let them make a few mistakes and DEVELOP, Quinn wouldn't work at all. I know Carbo hasn't been ideal with all the rookies / prospects, but if you think he's been bad, you'd go nuts watching Quinn play the same older players who have practically nothing left in the tank while all our talented young guys are nailed to the bench. I'd rather Carbo got a chance to improve, if he doesn't, then we figure out who to get instead, but NOT quinn.

Not that I think he will ever leave Detroit but I would love Steve Yzerman. He played almost 10 years coached the coach of coaches Scotty Bowman :D If Carbo cant get this team going (I wont give him a full season to prove it, more like a month or two next season) I would love if we would get Yzerman.

Sorry Dalhabs, the days of canning coaches for lazy players is over. They already fired 5 and it hasn't helped. The players are leaving not the coaches. I know that it's much easier for alot of to blame the coach but in reality and the facts say, it's clearly the players.

The first quote was Jagr won nothing without Lemieux...and it is true.

The next quote was Jagr did not have a good team without Lemiuex...and it is not true.

He had a 98 point team that could not make it out of the first round and underachieved.

He is an All-Star, but he is overrated.

Well, Jagr has the most points in the NHL since he came into the league, so I don't think he really can be overrated unless someone elevates him to Mario/Orr/Gretzky level. And secondly...

And let's face it, Jagr never had as good of a team during the years without Mario. And no one in their honest opinion thinks that Jagr is at Mario's level of player. Mario is one of the top 5 talents ever to play the game, if not the #1 talent.

The word "as" is very relevant. And don't pretend to think off-ice issues such as the team's bankruptcy and Mario being forced to take over didn't wear on the on-ice team.

For God's sake. We MUST end the rotating coaches in Montreal. Firing Guy would make us a final joke and cost Gainey some vital respect. Since Gainey's rep is about our only ace when it comes to luring UFAs, that would be a disaster. Guy is here to stay - unless he shows an inability to learn and adjust from his failures, which we won't know until next season. Sitting down with Kovalev and being OPEN to the possibility that he might have some reasonable concerns about the team's system, or player management, or whatever would not be a bad idea. This isn't 1964. Players are grown ups who should be listend to if they have bona fide concerns (I don't say they should be automatically accommodated. But a rookie coach might consider consulting with his vets now and then. Pat Burns and Jacques Demers did).

Yes - patience is always a virtue.

Carbonneau had a rough year, but he was a rookie coach so there is a learning curve associated with this aspect that must be taken into consideration when evaluating his performance = plain & simple.

This team cannot afford to axe a coach right now. Do do so based on the past season, well that would be plain stupidity.

Common sense must prevail and thankfully Gainey is not in the habit of being easily swayed by either the media or the fans......

Time for a valium people! :(

Edited by beliveau1

Well said ,.......yet I cant be helped but to ponder a little more,......about the negative implications involves with keeping the statu quo going.........or about the opposite choice.

Personally, I believe that the choice should be decided following the premise dictated by one

crucial factor,.........which option could best be an IMMEDIATE UPGRADE to get the HIGHEST PERFORMANCE

from this team next season.

Keeping Carbo, as you said, might preserve a certain image of credibility to the organization,.....on the other hand, I would suggest that failure to adequatly compete next season and missing the playoffs again will be of

worst consequences than PR imagery.

He did let Carbo in the whole season after all (thats more than Lamoriello did with Julien) but Gainey needs

to be sharp on his commitment to the club next season.

Maybe the best compromise would be that Gainey himself be the coach next year.

Edited by PB

I would LOVE if Gainey coached next year, but he won't. IMHO, He's got enough on his plate GMing and his personal tragedy as it is.

Besides, I get the impression he'd have no plans to coach longterm, so if he coached next year, the year after there would be a new coach again, and we'd be starting all over. I'd rather whoever coaches this year stays and we have some continuity.

I didn't say Carbo is untouchable. But he has to be given a chance to grow with the team.

Although I had my doubts about his handling of the youth, by season's end every single young guy except Perezhogin was looking good. That is EXTREMELY important, much more than making the playoffs last season. And I also strongly think that Higgins, Komi, Plekanec and maybe even Latendresse feel ready to start assuming a greater leadership role. In a year or two, Carbo could start looking like a genius, as the old farts (Kovy, this means you) are shunted aside by players loyal to Guy and moulded in his image.