Arguing over Hancock

Pierre the Great

If you had plans to watch the Cubs-Cards on ESPN tonight its been canceled because a cardinals relief pitch died in a car crash early this morning. My guess is that he was drunk. So anyway the game is canceled.

Josh Hancock

Very sad about Hancock. Condolences to his family.

Good move to postpone the game, baseball is very secondary today, I'm sure.

I don't think there is any evidence as to Hancock being drunk, let's not speak ill of the dead yet.

My guess is that he was drunk. So anyway the game is canceled.

You've completely lost any faith in society haven't you...

Really sad news. I didn't find out until the Jays had a moment of silence at the Rogers Centre today.

RIP Hancock.

oh and just to do a follow up on this Hancock thing.

- he was plastered

- he got plastered with Chris Duncan visited the strip clubs on the east side last thursday, ran through a stop sign got the front bumper of his SUV ripped off.

- him and chris duncan had such a hangover they couldn't play thursday night

- larussa fined hancock

-he got plastered at mike shannon's the night of the wreck. People at -Shannon's asked if he needed a cab

Hancock in the thursday wreck wasn't given a Breathalyzer.

Sounds like the Cardinals team has a major drinking problem. La Russa, Edmonds (he's in this as well), Izzy is a known drinker (big time), Hancock, Duncan.

- he got plastered at mike shannon's the night of the wreck. People at -Shannon's asked if he needed a cab

That story was countered by an ESPN analyst who was at the same bar as Hancock and said Hancock wasn't drunk. Saw it on Baseball Tonight.

- he got plastered with Chris Duncan visited the strip clubs on the east side last thursday, ran through a stop sign got the front bumper of his SUV ripped off.

He was edging out to see around a truck in the left turn lane. I've almost been clipped a few times doing the same thing.

- Hancock in the thursday wreck wasn't given a Breathalyzer.

If he'd been drunk, he'd have been given a breathalyzer. It's not like Hancock was a well-known guy. The cop didn't even know who he was. No special treatment here.

Sounds like the Cardinals team has a major drinking problem. La Russa, Edmonds (he's in this as well), Izzy is a known drinker (big time), Hancock, Duncan.

Aside from LaRussa, where is proof about the others?

That story was countered by an ESPN analyst who was at the same bar as Hancock and said Hancock wasn't drunk. Saw it on Baseball Tonight.

He was edging out to see around a truck in the left turn lane. I've almost been clipped a few times doing the same thing.

If he'd been drunk, he'd have been given a breathalyzer. It's not like Hancock was a well-known guy. The cop didn't even know who he was. No special treatment here.

Aside from LaRussa, where is proof about the others?

Campbell is not going to throw another player under the bus so of course he's going to lie. But when you've got restaurant manager's saying he said that he was plastered on Thursday and told him if he needed a ride. I take their word over an ex-ball player still going by the code of baseball players of not throwing people under the bus.

Of course Campbell would say he wasn't drunk etc. etc. because that would be in violation of unspoken baseball laws between players.

How do you drive through a stop sign to get side swiped by a semi, when you were just looking?

How do you drive through a stop sign to get side swiped by a semi, when you were just looking?

Easy. The person in the left hand turn lane is pulled up as far as they can go, so that they can see both ways. The person in the right hand lane then has to pull out further than the person in the left hand lane so that they can see around the other vehicle. You nudge out too far and BOOM.

Here, I even drew you a pretty picture:

2006292036816337320_fs.jpg

they found cannabis in his SUV.

Sources close to the crash investigation told the Post-Dispatch on Tuesday that a small amount of marijuana, in a small tin, was recovered from Hancock's demolished vehicle. A Cardinals source said the club was made aware of the finding Monday night.

aka a cop at the scene.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/st...7F?OpenDocument

there's a security camera video of the crash as well.

Don't ask me, the Post Dispatch is the one going after him with the 'Vince' story, the pot story, the drunk story from thursday.

And today the main sports writer Bernie Mikalasz said pictures of the accident should be plastered all over the stadium, all over town, in the clubhouse so people learn not to drink and drive.

Which begs the question, what if he wasn't drunk? (chances are he was, but still)

And with all due respect, trying to finesse the truth to take it easy on Hancock's family is of secondary concern now. His death could serve as a frightening, lifestyle-altering impetus to give caution to anyone who risks drinking and driving. Not only that, but this can motivate those who stand by and do nothing as they watch others drink and drive.

"I've seen different high schools, in fact my son's high school, where they have proms coming up," Jocketty said. "And they have a vehicle in front of that school that's been demolished. And it's a constant reminder to those kids that you shouldn't be drinking and driving."

Photos of Hancock's wrecked SUV should be strategically placed in areas around Busch Stadium, as a reminder of what can happen. That includes the locker room, and concession stands. And if the shocking image prevents someone from grabbing that extra beer or drink, so be it. Maybe this will save some lives. Hancock's death need not be in vain.

http://www.stltoday.com/stltoday/sports/co...BF?OpenDocument

Don't ask me, the Post Dispatch is the one going after him with the 'Vince' story, the pot story, the drunk story from thursday.

And today the main sports writer Bernie Mikalasz said pictures of the accident should be plastered all over the stadium, all over town, in the clubhouse so people learn not to drink and drive.

Which begs the question, what if he wasn't drunk? (chances are he was, but still)

The local newspaper is going after him so somehow that means you need to bring everything to us.

Sad story, shouldn't of happened, leave it at that. We don't need any more details.

We don't care though. Just let him R.I.P.

why? This town needs a poster child for drinking and driving. And since the Cardinals have no surpassed everything, and they're the most important thing ever. People would actually come to their senses.

When the manager fell asleep while driving and was arrested for DWI. Every news channel here spent the entire broadcast talking about it.

The Post lead with the story for a week on the front page.

Its nuts.

I care, though I hate all the speculation by PTG and the St. Louis media.

Thats my point, it's just full of useless banter in here so far.

I'd prefer to just see this stick to baseball and not why baseball players have died. Thats a whole other topic.

MOD: Breaking Out

- this really isn't a baseball discussion anymiore.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

Once again, regardless of local St. Louis media I don't see how it is productive for us to speculate about Hancock's accident. It is very possible that he was inebriated, but I don't see how it helps to accuse him before his toxicology report comes back. If he was intoxicated, it doesn't make his death any less tragic.

Again, PTG. HW is not St. Louis! We are not your neighbours! HW is not your blog. HW is not google news where we constantly upload whatever news story is being printed any given day. Sure we sometimes discuss hard news in the lounge, but not every damn thing. We usually don't post articles with very limited interest. We don't feel the need to constantly reiterate our political opinions.

I didn't post about Indiana's new license plate policy. You better bet I have an opinion on it, but you aint going to hear about it because its frankly not that interesting for non-indiana residents. I have some opinions about Bloomington area lawyers and judges. I don't talk about it though, cause it really wouldn't be interesting for anybody else and it really more the kind of thing that belongs in a blog, not a message board.

Hey who wants me to post my thoughts on ProCD v. Zeidenberg? EU database protection regime? How about Kelly v. Arriba Soft? No? I got some real insights on the MAI case and how it relates to the DMCA's narrow fair use exceptions. No? Really? Nobody cares? Didn't think so. I'll just not post on it.