Habs to Play in Europe Sept 08

JLP

This looks very cool but I wonder if the Habs would ice a full team. I am sure all of the euro's would be really jacked up to play in a mini tourney like this.

The only thing that concerns me about this is that fact that the tournament starts right when training camp is set to open up. Most guys like to ease into training camp, so how will they adapt to playing in games that have some meaning that early. Will it lead to minor injuries like muscle pulls, ligament strains, etc? And then there's the possibilty of the more serious injuries. Whatever team is chosen to go will probably open camp a little earlier than the rest of the league in order to counter that.

On the positive side, with a more competitive "training camp" overseas, it will be better for chemistry building, both as a team and for line combinations. But how close to the beginning of the NHL's regular season will the tournament be? For my money, the closer the better. You don't want to come back from a competitive tournament and then play a handful of exhibition games against prospects and bubble players.

What I'd like to see is the Stanley Cup champs play a tourney against the European League champions, like the Europe-only tourney that is in the works. Eight to ten teams, two pools, could be six or seven games. Main team goes to Europe, rookies hold camp at home. After the tournament ends in Europe, top rookies join main team for three of four games and final roster selection.

I think this is a pretty good idea, there are many good points when clubs play one another as opposed to the usual international format of all-star national teams. Thoughts?

If they come to Sweden, I'm there!

I'd like a traveling all star team better.

NHL vs. Sweden

or something.

I don't know if they still do it in baseball but every year an MLB all star team would go to Japan and play Japanese all stars.

Then Gary Bettman can grow the sport much like his idol and mentor David Stern did for the NBA.

Make NHL global.

Scotland already has curling, start hockey leagues over there.

Now that Bettman is done his conquering of the west and southeast of this country. Go to Europe, Japan, South Korea, China, the Baltic states.

Heck just get China involved and then it really will take off, the chinese want to be good at everything. Next thing you know you'll see a team of 7ft 300lb hockey players.

Link to the short article. Excerpt:

An NHL club would take on the best Europe has to offer in a three-team tournament proposed by the International Ice Hockey Federation.

IIHF president Rene Fasel said Tuesday that if he was given the choice, the Montreal Canadiens would represent the NHL in the inaugural Victoria Cup in September 2008.

It states that European club teams would have to compete (a la European football's Champions League) to earn a spot in the tournament. It would make sense that the Stanley Cup winner would earn a spot. Anyway, this is all speculative at the moment.

This is a great idea - almost a spin on the old All Star Game concept, where the Cup champ would play against the best from the rest of the league. Except that, instead of the champ, these guys want the Habs :lol: Shows their good taste. :clap:

This is a great idea - almost a spin on the old All Star Game concept, where the Cup champ would play against the best from the rest of the league. Except that, instead of the champ, these guys want the Habs :lol: Shows their good taste. :clap:

But we are the champs! :P

Link to the short article. Excerpt:

It states that European club teams would have to compete (a la European football's Champions League) to earn a spot in the tournament. It would make sense that the Stanley Cup winner would earn a spot. Anyway, this is all speculative at the moment.

One of the early articles I read stated the fact that they did not plan to have the Stanley Cup champs involved from the start as the NHL had not agreed to that, and that they may not just yet. It is already a long season, and they aren't going to be too interested in making it any longer for those teams at this point? Historically it makes most sense to invite the Habs to the first one - after all they are the oldest NHL team and the most storied hockey franchise in the world! :hlogo: :hockey:

After that it will be all downhill ('til the Habs win the Cup)..... :P:P:P:D

Edited by beliveau1

Hi guys,

According to Russian newspapers Sport Express NHL and IIHF reached the agreement to create new tournament. It is called Victoria Cup. Sport Express says that the first team to play in it will be Montreal Canadiens taking on European Leages Champion. They say it will be in fall of 2008. I will try to get some details on that later on.

Here is the link in Russian but Sport Express has English version as well (switch is in right top corner)

http://www.sport-express.ru/art.shtml?138636

Here s the English language link http://english.sport-express.ru/summary/1_1279/

Edited by HabRus

Not sure I like this idea very much... We don't need to have our team play in any extra tourneys and have a possibility of getting injured.

I guess whats in it for us.? If the win will count in some way toward our NHL season or it gives us some sort of better standing then sure.. but I doubt that option, so I say again... whats in it for us?

From the players' standpoint, probably a free trip to Europe and (more importantly) some team-building opportunities. I'd like to say that the competition will give the Habs an edge going into the regular season, but these will likely be glorified exhibition games.

I could live with glorified exhibition games.. but when do Canadian's ever feel like playing an exhibition game with russia? its always competitive and we don't like to lose, its about playing with pride for your country. now granted it will be the Canadiens (the habs) not team Canada but, nevertheless it will be very important to Russia and they will look at it as braggin rights...

Edited by Chips

It might not be a greatest idea but, on the other hand, it will give other people a chance to see NHL teams - I lived in Russia for 27 years and never had a chance...

I think it is a great idea for European hockey, the NHL and the Montreal Canadiens.

Hockey is a rapidly growing sport in Europe and it only makes sense for the NHL to expand its viewership overseas. The NHL may not be able to compete with the NFL or the NBA in the US, but we can make up for it by building a large fan base in Europe in cooperation with networks like NASN.

The owner of the LA Kings has taken a first step by organizing 2 exhibition games in London this september against the Anaheim Ducks (I will be there). This is partially a marketing ploy for a new venue that was built there, but is also great for Hockey in the UK (which is surprisingly popular).

For the Habs, this kind of tourny is indeed a team building exercise as well as a change from the usual boring pre-season routine. I would not be surprised to see the tournament garner much hype on either side of the Ocean (NHL vs Euroleague).

All in all...I vote yes to this idea and hope many people see the benefits of something like this. Even if the Habs were not chosen to play in the tourny, I would still watch it!

Look at what happened to Markov in the IIHF worlds. His knee on knee hit could have been career ending; in fact we still don't know for sure.. he will be examined by doctors in montreal in the next day or so. I would rather avoid injuries like this by staying away from exhibition games that would put our best players in harms way.

Nevertheless, I do see the value that some of you mention, it would be good for hockey. As long as its a exhibition game with a easy feel then fine. But in my experience seeing any international games played have always turned competitive. and a game again any Russian club will be exactly that...

Now, that Russian's have backed out the exchange deal for players, maybe this exhibition game will be put on the back burner...

I think it is a neat idea. I think it's real value would be in the habs being able to market better in Europe. As for the play it would give young players a chance to show what they could do, but I wouldn't play a full team.

This kind of thing happens with Soccer all the time in the summer. Big name European teams come to North America and charge an arm and a leg and usually just bring their B teams, or let the stars play for a few mins. As I said at first it would help market the Habs in Europe and sell a few jerseys but other then that it wouldn't be that valubale an excersie.

Edited by Habsfan24