How high is San Jose's pick?

Peter Puck

Now that San Jose has been eliminated, I believe their position in the draft is set. But I don't know what it is.

My understanding is that the teams picking 27th,28th, 29th and 30th will be Ottawa, Detroit, Buffalo and Anaheim in some order depending on the remaining 3 playoff seres. Thus S.J.'s pick is at worst 26th.

Is it true that San Jose will pick 26th? Or does that honour go to Nashville who finished ahead of S.J, in the season's final standings. Or maybe Vancouver picks 26th because they too lost in the 2nd round and they won their division?

Okay, since no else has answered me I'll have to do it myself. B)

My investigations (link) indicate that all the following teams will pick after San Jose:

Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Anaheim (made it to the final 4)

New Jersey, Vancouver, Atlanta (won their division)

Nashville (finished the season ahead of San Jose).

This would indicate that San Jose's first round pick is number 22 overall.

I believe 23, 24, 25 and 26 are decided by the order of the regular season point totals for the four teams eliminated in the second round.

Rangers - 94pts

Canucks - 105pts

Devils - 107pts (49wins)

Sharks - 107pts (51wins)

Therefore, Montreal gets the 26th pick.

I believe 23, 24, 25 and 26 are decided by the order of the regular season point totals for the four teams eliminated in the second round.

Rangers - 94pts

Canucks - 105pts

Devils - 107pts (49wins)

Sharks - 107pts (51wins)

Therefore, Montreal gets the 26th pick.

You're going off the wrong intial report. The actual change for this year (and years in the future) is only for the bottom 4 picks, #27-30. SJ had the 5th best record in the NHL, 1 team below them made it to the final 4 (Ottawa) while SJ did not make it. So, therefore, SJ gets the 25th pick, with Nashville (26th), Ottawa, Anaheim, Detroit and Buffalo after them.

I bet Gainey trades this pick, unless there is someone he absolutely must have at this selection.

unless he trades his 12th pick...but I don't see him pass on a 12th pick that can become a quality player.

a 25th pick ?? it's more of a crap shoot. and if a team is willing to surrender a good player for a 25th pick and maybe the rights to perezhogin( who was a 25TH !!) gainey'll do it I'm pretty sure.

but if he decides to keep his pick, thats fine too !!

unless he trades his 12th pick...but I don't see him pass on a 12th pick that can become a quality player.

a 25th pick ?? it's more of a crap shoot. and if a team is willing to surrender a good player for a 25th pick and maybe the rights to perezhogin( who was a 25TH !!) gainey'll do it I'm pretty sure.

but if he decides to keep his pick, thats fine too !!

Well, I'm answering my own question here but I believe the pick we got from San Jose is the 22nd overall.

According to the Hockey News Draft Preview which I got in the mail today, Montreal's pick from San Jose is the 23rd overall.

that actually was printed before the end of that series so the ranking probably changed.

that actually was printed before the end of that series so the ranking probably changed.

Also in the issue, is states that the six division winners pick from 25 through 30, with the Cup winner selecting 30th and the other finalist 29th. The bottom six goes St. Louis via Atlanta, Vancouver, St. Louis via New Jersey, Edmonton via Anaheim, Detroit, then Buffalo.

If Ottawa gets into the finals, they would drop from 21st to at least 29th, and the Habs would move up to 22. Anaheim and Detroit won't have any effect on where the Habs pick.