£1 million reward offered in search for British girl

Athlétique.Canadien

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/05/11/m...l-portugal.html

Karen and Gerry McCann of Rothley, Leicestershire, told police they had left their daughter alone with her younger twin brother and sister in their ground-floor room on the night she disappeared. They said they were 100 metres away having dinner and had been checking on the children every half-hour.

HAVING DINNER? :blink:

I hope she is safe but to any wanna be parents out there - take heed that this behaviour is dumb

Come on man lighten up on the parents. They were at a resort (felt safe) and left thier kids 100 meters away. Your parents never left you 100 feet from thier sight at a movie theatre or the mall.

I hope she is found.

Come on man lighten up on the parents. They were at a resort (felt safe) and left thier kids 100 meters away. Your parents never left you 100 feet from thier sight at a movie theatre or the mall.

I hope she is found.

100 feet is a lot different than 100 metres. You can't see or hear the kids when they're 100 metres away. Either way, as a parent I wouldn't leave my 3 year old (and younger) kids unsupervised where I couldn't at least hear them, even at home. Resorts aren't known to be particularly safe (especially Mexican resorts for Canadians lately, it seems).

http://www.cbc.ca/world/story/2007/05/15/m...ine-070515.html

Portuguese detectives have questioned a 33-year-old British-Portuguese dual citizen and are treating the man as a suspect in the disappearance of a four-year-old British girl.

PS. Sorry JMMR, but FOUR years old?

Hopefully this jerk they captured has the answers and she is back home soon. This should serve as a lesson to wannabe parents out there of what NOT TO DO.

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I hate how rich people get such special treatment when it comes to crimes. If someone in my neighborhood killed their wife and tried to hide the body, it wouldn't be all over the news like Laci Peterson. If somebody kidnapped someone in my neighborhood, it wouldn't be international news like this. But because the people affected are rich, they get all this coverage. Just not fair.

I hate how rich people get such special treatment when it comes to crimes. If someone in my neighborhood killed their wife and tried to hide the body, it wouldn't be all over the news like Laci Peterson. If somebody kidnapped someone in my neighborhood, it wouldn't be international news like this. But because the people affected are rich, they get all this coverage. Just not fair.

I didn't know Laci Peterson was rich. I think her story, like this one, received more attention because a child was involved (an unborn one, in Laci's case). I also don't see any indication that the couple in this case were rich - only that they happened to attract a rich businessman's interest, who put up the million pound reward. Doing that is designed to get media attention.

That's not to say I disagree with your point, but not sure if it applies here.

I didn't know Laci Peterson was rich. I think her story, like this one, received more attention because a child was involved (an unborn one, in Laci's case). I also don't see any indication that the couple in this case were rich - only that they happened to attract a rich businessman's interest, who put up the million pound reward. Doing that is designed to get media attention.

Laci's family offered up a pretty big reward, so I assume they were rich. I haven't been following this case enough to have noticed it wasn't the family themselves that put up the reward.

Either way, if a rich person hadn't heard about it made such an offer, nobody would have heard about this aside from the local medias. It's ridiculous that it takes money for this kind of stuff to get all over the media.

• 3 months later...
Wait, they confirmed her death? Did they find the body or something or are they just assuming now?

This could be a case of, "having exhausted everthing else, let's go after the parents, or wife or husband" etc. BUT, if they suspect the parents, I have to believe there is a bona-fide reason to do so.

Whether the parents acted irresponsible or not and whether they are involved or not, it's still a very sad and tragic story. :(

Edited by Doktor Kosmos

blood was found in the rental car of the parents.

Police gave the mother a plea deal that would have seen her and her husband face less then 2 years if they agreed they killed the girl on accident and then tried to rid the body.

They denied this plea.

Portugal is going to go after them hard now. I bet the two parents got drunk and did something really stupid which led to the death of the girl. Then tried to cover it up.

Blood in the rental car is a dead giveaway to this scenario.