Line-up I'd like to see in Oct.

Why do I get the feeling we are a little over committed on players? Maybe Bob IS trying set up a trade cuz this is our breakdown by position (List includes all current players signed as well as those most senior prospects):

At C:

1) Koivu

2) Pleks

3) Smoky

4) Begin

5) Chips

At LW:

1) Higgs

2) Lats

3) Lahti

4) Murray

5) Grabs (Also C)

6) Locke

At RW:

1) Kovy

2) Kosty

3) Ryder

4) Lapierre (Also C)

5) Milroy

6) Ferland

7) D'Agostini

At D:

1) Marky

2) Komi

3) Hammy

4) Dandy

5) Bouillon

6) Georges

7) Streit (Also W)

8) O'Byrne

9) Cote

10) Valentenko

Seems to me that we have a surplus of NHL ready and close to ready players. I would we are done shopping in the UFA market...but we may have a big trade looming.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After looking at that, we need to get stronger on the left side.

Bob likes internal competition. I think he prefers a scenario in which NHL-calibre players are riding the pines. This is especially true on a team that is trying to 'improve from within,' which he kept talking about during his press conference - i.e., the players we have need to play better. So roster overload does not necessarily mean trade. Although I do believe that Ryder's days are numbered.

Begin will no play centre on a regular basis if ever again for the Habs.

With his back and his playing style he is much better used as a fore checking winger.

Edited by JMMR

Latendresse - Koivu - Ryder

Lahti - Smolinski - Kovalev

Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

Begin - Lapierre - Streit

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Bouillon - Dandenault

Huet

Halak

As of right now, it seems that this is the most likely scenario. Another option is using Grabovski as 2nd line LW and then shifting Streit to defence. Also, this depends on O'Byrne being ready.

Latendresse - Koivu - Ryder

Lahti - Smolinski - Kovalev

Higgins - Plekanec - Kostitsyn

Begin - Lapierre - Streit

Markov - Komisarek

Hamrlik - O'Byrne

Bouillon - Dandenault

Huet

Halak

As of right now, it seems that this is the most likely scenario. Another option is using Grabovski as 2nd line LW and then shifting Streit to defence. Also, this depends on O'Byrne being ready.

As much as I don't like it (I really want to see Latendresse-Smolinski-Ryder and hate the idea of the Bouillon-Dandenault pairing) that seems to be a really probable lineup.

As much as I don't like it (I really want to see Latendresse-Smolinski-Ryder and hate the idea of the Bouillon-Dandenault pairing) that seems to be a really probable lineup.

Yeah, I don't like the third pairing either but there is nothing else we can do except for what I wrote at the bottom of my post.

Apparently Gainey is favouring O'Byrne for making the D squad this year.

L-side

Markov

Bouillon

Hamrlik

R-side

Komisarek

Dandy

O'Byrne

aye, from sportsnet:

"Currently, Gainey sees Mathieu Dandenault, Mike Komisarek and young Ryan O'Byrne on the right side, although O'Byrne may either win a job in training camp or join the team during the season."

Come to think of it, if O'Byrne does make the blueline - we're going to have tanks patrolling the blue line. The only small guy will be Bouillon.

Bouillon - 5'8" 201

Dandy - 6'0" 215

Markov - 6'0" 203

Komisarek - 6'4" 242

O'Byrne - 6'5" 215

Hamrlik - 6'2" 208

So whats up with Degon?

why is he featured in the Habs roster?

overzealous webmaster?

he he...

u know what now I get it.... I think all the Free agents are being put there for the Fans' sake so they can be easily identified

Smart Webmaster this dude or gal .. who knows

I really hope Streit plays defense and one of Dandiullion is gone.

I tend to agree, but I think Carbo likes using Streit as a F, unless he's on the PP. Too bad, because Streit's got a great outlet pass.

i dont mind bouillion he shows some spunk for a little guy, but i could definitely do without dandenault

exactlty. i'd trade him for a 3rd rounder anytime now we have Hamrlik and O'Byrne maybe ready. We will know by the training camp.

• 5 weeks later...

With the return of Brisebois, the Habs now have a glut of lower end defensemen.

Thus after Markov, Komisarek, and Hamrlik, there are: Bouillon, Dandenault, Streit, Brisebois, and Gorges. In other words 8 D-men.

In between the pipes, we have Huet and Halak.

Up front, we also seem to be set:

Higgins-Koivu-Ryder

Latendresse-Plekanec-Kovalev

Janne Lahti-Smolinski-A. Kostitsyn

Bégin-Lapierre-Kostopoulos

(NB: I have replaced Murray with Lahti)

So what does this mean for the 07-08 season?

I am concerned about the message which this portrays. In particular, where is there place for the better Bulldogs? Hamilton won the AHL cup in 06-07. Surely a number of their better players have earned a crack at the Habs. But, where are the spots available, unless a trade or two are made?

I would think that, at a minimum, Price, O'Byrne, and Chipchura would move up the ranks this Fall. Who will be pushed aside?

Here's my crazy theory:

Bob has loaded up on middling D-men so that we have credible yet beatable players in the available defense positions. This means that when our young guys show in camp or early in the season that they are better options, they'll force the managment into a position they are already aware of, they created it!

So the young guys get to: beat out what are essentially beatable cheap guys, feel good about their accomplishment and have that reflect in their on ice performance, continue to play super hard to stay on the big team knowing there is always someone there to challenge you. It's how BG is changing the nature of competition on making this team.

Keep in mind, I've had two sips of cooffee and I am still waking up...I may need to edit this later lol

Here's my crazy theory:

Bob has loaded up on middling D-men so that we have credible yet beatable players in the available defense positions. This means that when our young guys show in camp or early in the season that they are better options, they'll force the managment into a position they are already aware of, they created it!

So the young guys get to: beat out what are essentially beatable cheap guys, feel good about their accomplishment and have that reflect in their on ice performance, continue to play super hard to stay on the big team knowing there is always someone there to challenge you. It's how BG is changing the nature of competition on making this team.

Keep in mind, I've had two sips of cooffee and I am still waking up...I may need to edit this later lol

That's a very interesting theory.