Line-up I'd like to see in Oct.

ok what do I wanna see and (could potentially happen)

1- Higgins - Bergeron/Lecavalier/Drury - (Hamilton RW/Trade)

3- Lats - Lang/Nylander - Kovalev

2- Lahti - Koivu - Kosty

3- Begin - Plek - Lapierre

unfortunately I don't think it'd fit under the capé

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

How bout a quick fix for the uppcoming season while still improving?

Ok hear me out here. (I'll need a capologist to make sure this works as well)

Assuming that our remaining UFA's are gone (Janne Niinimaa, Sheldon Souray, Radek Bonk, Mike Johnson, David Aebischer, Aaron Downey.)

Using the money saved and the extra cap space why not add/sign Josef Stumpel and Brent Sopel to make up for lost assets of Souray and Bonk.

It would make the lineup look something like this

Ryder - Koivu - Lats

*Samsonov - Stumpel - Kovalev *If Sammy is gone add Lahti here

Kost - Plex - Higgins

Bégin - Lapierre - Chipchura/Grabovski/Dagostini

Markov - Komi

Sopel - Dandy/valentenko/O'Byrne etc

Streit - Bouillon/Gorges

Huet-Halak/Price

Now we have two solid second line centres (stumpel is 6'3 although plays smaller) and a defensive replacement for Souray.

What would Sopel and Stumpel cost us realistically?

around $7M total?

Edited by Habitforming

I was just thinking... had things turned for the best... (in our past season's line up)

how much would our salary mass be if the lines had evolved to the following

Higgins -Koivu -Ryder

Sammy-Yashin-Kovalev (assuming Sammy and Kovy played to potential and we saw it natural to put Yashin between them)

Lats -Plek - Kosty

Begin -Lapierre - (HamiltonDogs)

around 28 Mil? leaving us another 20 plus to fill in the D and Goalies

Edited by CoRvInA

I was just thinking... had things turned for the best... (in our past season's line up)

how much would our salary mass be if the lines had evolved to the following

Higgins -Koivu -Ryder

Sammy-Yashin-Kovalev (assuming Sammy and Kovy played to potential and we saw it natural to put Yashin between them)

Lats -Plek - Kosty

Begin -Lapierre - (HamiltonDogs)

around 28 Mil? leaving us another 20 plus to fill in the D and Goalies

what salary do you have for yashin here?

Also we have how much tied up in D and goalies 17-18 Million? Markov 5.75 <dandy and cube $2M each Komi $??, Huet $3M.? I'm not really sure

what salary do you have for yashin here?

Also we have how much tied up in D and goalies 17-18 Million? Markov 5.75 <dandy and cube $2M each Komi $??, Huet $3M.? I'm not really sure

I gave Yashin a 3 mil contract and gave ryder and higgins 5 mil (total)

plek another 1.25 mil

yeah our D is now 5.75+3+2+2+1+1+1 = 16 Mil (souray not being there)

Goalies 3 + 1 = 4 mil

all in all we would be at around 48 mil ( the forward computation included the one extra forwards that doesnt dress hamilton based)

48 not bad.. BUT It aint happening!

Edited by CoRvInA

plek another 1.25 mil

Goalies 3 + 1 = 4 mil

all in all we would be at around 48 mil ( the forward computation included the one extra forwards that doesnt dress hamilton based)

48 not bad.. BUT It aint happening!

lol i would give Yashin a 0$ contract. We're so often shitting on Kovy, what about Yashin LOL

plek another 1.25 mil

Goalies 3 + 1 = 4 mil

Ok

So you have $28M alloted for forwards and $20M for our current D giving a rough total of $48M and the cap ceiling max (Does this count a raise for Komi?)

All we added here was yashin and we are at the cap ceiling?

i don't mind going to the roof (it's not my cash ha ha ) But I don't want to do it for a guy like Yashin.

Any Idea what my suggestions in post #152 would cost us against the cap?

Edited by Habitforming

lol yeah you can substitute Yashin with any other Russian inclined Centre

my point was had BG's plan gone well we still would be pretty much tied up money wise perhaps the extra 4 mil would have summed with the 3 for the hypothetical Yashin, still leaves us with not much to do

therefor there is a high probability that were gonna see trades not only from hamilton (which is what I thought) but alot of our current roster is packing up

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

Lahti-Stefan-Kovalev

Samsonov-Lapierre-Begin

Markov-Komisarek

Streit-Poti

5 and 6 will be chosen at training camp.

Out of all the UFAs that are available I chose Stefan and Poti because I think they fill out needs best out of what is available (and are both underrated so they shouldn't hurt us too badly on the money side of things). Stefan has a good combination of speed and size, also plays well defensively and could fill the role that Bonk is vacating. Poti blocks shots and is mobile, he should be an upgrade from Souray (they both make defensive errors, but Poti won't be taken for a pylon).

And yeah, I have Begin playing off-wing so that Samsonov can play with Lappy and him. Gainey might be able to get rid of him over the summer, but he might not, so I'm not going to count him out quite yet. His agent will probably start whining and we end up with this instead:

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

Samsonov-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

Higgins-Stefan-Kovalev

Lahti-Lapierre-Begin

So no matter what Begin will be playing the off-wing as no one else we have should be on the fourth line and plays RW. Lahti apparently only plays LW so it would seem to be easier to switch Begin since he's played just about everywhere anyways.

So I guess the main question is.. what do you think of the two UFAs (Stefan and Poti)?

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

Lahti-Stefan-Kovalev

Samsonov-Lapierre-Begin

Markov-Komisarek

Streit-Poti

5 and 6 will be chosen at training camp.

Out of all the UFAs that are available I chose Stefan and Poti because I think they fill out needs best out of what is available (and are both underrated so they shouldn't hurt us too badly on the money side of things). Stefan has a good combination of speed and size, also plays well defensively and could fill the role that Bonk is vacating. Poti blocks shots and is mobile, he should be an upgrade from Souray (they both make defensive errors, but Poti won't be taken for a pylon).

And yeah, I have Begin playing off-wing so that Samsonov can play with Lappy and him. Gainey might be able to get rid of him over the summer, but he might not, so I'm not going to count him out quite yet. His agent will probably start whining and we end up with this instead:

Latendresse-Koivu-Ryder

Samsonov-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

Higgins-Stefan-Kovalev

Lahti-Lapierre-Begin

So no matter what Begin will be playing the off-wing as no one else we have should be on the fourth line and plays RW. Lahti apparently only plays LW so it would seem to be easier to switch Begin since he's played just about everywhere anyways.

So I guess the main question is.. what do you think of the two UFAs (Stefan and Poti)?

I think this is what I love best... when I have no IDEA of who your talking about and I go search for them and get surprised! :) thanks :clap:

BTW what stefan is it? Patrick? 11 pts in 41 games?

Poti I like... but this stefan unless Gainey and Crabo Know him well and the "untapped scoring potential" is Untapped then yeah

The more I think about it the more I think that I think that O'Byrne is more in Souray's mold than in Komo's...

pts production in the playoffs... mean streak... fast skater for a big guy...

he's also taller and leaner than Komo... just like Souray... if that matters...

That being said, I'd invest on that kid and give him all the ice he wants. PK, PP, whatever he needs.

I would actually be happy with the following (young but maybe effective) D corp...

Markov - Komi

Gorges - O'Byrne

Cube - Streit/Dandy

Of course I'd be happier if instead of Dandy we had Rafalski or Preissing and instead of Gorges or Cube we had Hannan or Souray...

I'm aware that it's not a cup winning D corp... but it all starts somewhere... If the Sharks hadn't invested in their young guys the last couple of seasons... they wouldn't be where they are now.

as for the forwards, it's a big mess right now...

we have yet to see Lahti in NA... (he has a spot on the roster reserved as per canadiens.com)

we have yet to see what happens with Sammy

who makes the club, who doesnt... who gets traded?!

etc...

I still hesitate between having a 3rd offensive line just like Buffalo or having a KILLER anihilative 3rd line like Anaheim...

I'd guess that BG and Carbo would opt for the Killer anihilative one...

and with players like Lapierre, Chipchura etc. in the system, it's logical...

but there are too many ifs and what to be able to say anything concrete at this time...

Souray fast skater? You aren't series. But i do agree that O'byrne is being undervalued by alot of posters. I think he has a real shot. Plus I discount Gorges either. He was ok for a very good San Jose team. So i don't know why people think he isn't good enough to play on a bottom 5 D team.

I think Bouillon, Streit and Dandy are the odd men out. Dandy has the most flexibility with size, speed and the ability to be a great checking forward with size. Streit is similar but he is a hardworking, offensively better then Dandy but a smurf. The Habs have way too may smurfs.

As for the forwards, it is a mess, the young players are clearly the best on the club but the Habs have some real crappy contracts and lazy forwards. Ryder has trade value. What to do with Kovy and Samsonov.

You will see ateam with 2 (theoretical) scoring lines, a checking line and a energy line. These are the players that have been drafted.

Chipchura will be the 3rd line center next year, lapierre will be the 4th.

Kosty will be full time.

I think O'byrne and 1 more forward will graduate.

All the prospects at defense will have a chance to take a spot including O'byrne.

A only see two locks at D with Markov and Komisarek.

All the others will have to fight to have a regular shift in Montreal.

Players like Gorges and Bouillon wil have to prove better than Coté, Benoit, Jancevski maybe Emelin.

I agree that everybody deserves a fair chance at the camp, especially the players who fought like

Dogs all year long.

So last night I watched my first ever live Hamilton Bulldogs game (web-stream), and I have to share this important (yet fairly obvious) observation with you all:

Ever since his performace at the WJCs this year, I have been cautiously optimistic about Carey Price. Reading about almost every-game he played in Hamilton this year made me both happy and worried at the same time. Although it is obvious he has talent, I was worried that the hype would force BG and Co to rush him into the NHL (especially when BG says things like "I will only bring Carey over as a #1). This worried me because there are so many examples of amazing goaltending prospects who are rushed and then are set back for a long time, or even permanently. I did not want this to happen to our best propect and hoped that they would leave him in Hamilton for at least another year (maybe until Huets contract is up).

This all changed last night when I purchased Game 4 of the Calder cup finals. Carey Price looked out of place in that game...and I mean that in a good way. With the exception of one potentially dangerous giveaway, it was like watching an adult play net for a timbits hockey team. He was so cool under pressure, so well positioned, took up so much fo the net, I just kept thinking to myself: "self...this kid needs to be in the NHL next year"! The reason for my sudden change of heart (other than the fact that he is a great player)? I feel that if they leave him in Hamilton next year....the AHL may well STUNT hid development. It just doesn't look as if he is being challenged enough at thsi level.

My biggest regret for next year will be that I will be living in England and wont get to see him in action in the pre-season. GHG!

So last night I watched my first ever live Hamilton Bulldogs game (web-stream), and I have to share this important (yet fairly obvious) observation with you all:

Ever since his performace at the WJCs this year, I have been cautiously optimistic about Carey Price. Reading about almost every-game he played in Hamilton this year made me both happy and worried at the same time. Although it is obvious he has talent, I was worried that the hype would force BG and Co to rush him into the NHL (especially when BG says things like "I will only bring Carey over as a #1). This worried me because there are so many examples of amazing goaltending prospects who are rushed and then are set back for a long time, or even permanently. I did not want this to happen to our best propect and hoped that they would leave him in Hamilton for at least another year (maybe until Huets contract is up).

This all changed last night when I purchased Game 4 of the Calder cup finals. Carey Price looked out of place in that game...and I mean that in a good way. With the exception of one potentially dangerous giveaway, it was like watching an adult play net for a timbits hockey team. He was so cool under pressure, so well positioned, took up so much fo the net, I just kept thinking to myself: "self...this kid needs to be in the NHL next year"! The reason for my sudden change of heart (other than the fact that he is a great player)? I feel that if they leave him in Hamilton next year....the AHL may well STUNT hid development. It just doesn't look as if he is being challenged enough at thsi level.

My biggest regret for next year will be that I will be living in England and wont get to see him in action in the pre-season. GHG!

I am thinking about going to the final game tonight in Hamilton....to get a good look at Price myself

I live only 20 mins away

I am thinking about going to the final game tonight in Hamilton....to get a good look at Price myself

I live only 20 mins away

And your thinking about it because.........

If I were less then 4 hrs away I would have been there for all their games (in the finals anyway)

Do us all a service and go. Take notes on some players that impress you and tell us all about it when you have a chance. worst case scenario is You'll get to see the on-ice celebration and the presentation of the Cup.

Kovalev- Koivu- Ryder

Samsonov- Yashin- Smyth/Latendresse

Higgins- Plekanec- Kostitsyn

Begin- Chipchura- Lapiere

Markov- Komisarek

Souray- Bouillon

Streit- Dandenault

Huet

Halak

And your thinking about it because.........

If I were less then 4 hrs away I would have been there for all their games (in the finals anyway)

Do us all a service and go. Take notes on some players that impress you and tell us all about it when you have a chance. worst case scenario is You'll get to see the on-ice celebration and the presentation of the Cup.

I went to a second round game against Manitoba and we lost....it was a very bad game, nobody could make a pass and the defence was terrible...even Price looked shaky.

and oh yeah I am broke....getting married in a month can do that to you I guess...If I am to go I have to ok it with the boss first.

...but it would be nice to see the cup presentation, if I go I'll take some good notes for you guys.

Kovalev- Koivu- Ryder

Samsonov- Yashin- Smyth/Latendresse

Higgins- Plekanec- Kostitsyn

Begin- Chipchura- Lapiere

Markov- Komisarek

Souray- Bouillon

Streit- Dandenault

Huet

Halak

no yashin please we have too many lazy Russians already.......let just concentrate on the D this off season (1 good UFA D-man, not including Souray of course )

Edited by Davehab

No, sorry. He is still slow no matter what size is. You have seen him play right? Forwards go around him like he is a pilon.

I know where alexstream is coming from. Souray for a big guy has a good push stride and can gain impressive speed carrying the puck out. He's not fast but that stride provides good acceration.

I think this is what I love best... when I have no IDEA of who your talking about and I go search for them and get surprised! :) thanks :clap:
I have no IDEA what to say. Is it Poti or Stefan that you weren't aware of?

BTW what stefan is it? Patrick? 11 pts in 41 games?

Poti I like... but this stefan unless Gainey and Crabo Know him well and the "untapped scoring potential" is Untapped then yeah

Don't really want any scoring out of him. To make it clear, I though Bonk was amazing the first year he played here.

Don't really want any scoring out of him. To make it clear, I though Bonk was amazing the first year he played here.

You're probably in the minority on that issue. Personally, I thought Bonk wasn't as bad as many made him out to be, but he definitely played much better this past year.

I know where alexstream is coming from. Souray for a big guy has a good push stride and can gain impressive speed carrying the puck out. He's not fast but that stride provides good acceration.

Souray is WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY WAY faster than Hatcher, than Hal Gill, McGillis, etc...