Line-up I'd like to see in Oct.

• Replies 298
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Do you guys think that we can attract 2 top UFA d-men if we can't or won't re-sign Souray? Rafalski and Hannan could really help this d-corp ... dunno if any of this UFA's would like to play for the HABS though.

If we can switch Samsonov for D'Agostini and get rid of Aebischer and Bonk, then yes we can with the cap increasing.

If we can switch Samsonov for D'Agostini and get rid of Aebischer and Bonk, then yes we can with the cap increasing.

jeez, you make it sound easy !!

aebischer and bonk won't be back but I don't see how gainey will get rid of samsonov...unless he picks up another dead body elsewhere whicjh by any means would not help us that much.

What if we signed Souray for $6.75, then traded him for Marleau and the rights to Hannan (assuming they can't sign him)?

IMHO, he could be a No.1 C, with a decent price tag, who would fit in with his size, speed, and leadership.

Hell, maybe they'd take Samsonov, given his success with Thornton. Although y'all know he'd break all kinds of records .

Samsonov-Thornton-Cheechoo ... I'm quaking in my boots.

I was just going off Eklund's guess. But you're right, he doesn't deserve as much as Pronger or Niedermayer.

I wish we could clone Ray Bourque...

I saw that Eklund "guess" as well. For those of you who didn't here ya go.

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=7975

Some values are close and some are way off, but its all in fun anyway, and it gives something to compare to.

There was also on on how much money teams had to spend to get to the cap. Here is the northeast:

"The first number is the Cap space to 50 million each team has left, the second number is how many players they have under contract going into the season, Then you have the key RFA's they have to still get in, and finally assuming they can sign their RFAs, we have listed, by position, exactly what they are starting with prior to signing any UFA's...

(please note, these numbers are constantly changing, difficult to verify 100%, and not all teams will indeed spend to the cap, so consider this a reference guide only...and put a bookcover on it if you expect to sell it at the end of the semester...)

THE NORTHEAST

Boston: 11.672 to spend, 16 signed, 4 RFA's. 12f, 6d, 2g

Buffalo: 21.566 to spend, 14 signed, 5 RFA's. 12f, 6d, 1g

Montreal: 21.893 to spend, 14 signed, 7 RFA's. 12f, 6d, 3g

Ottawa: 9.435 to spend, 15 signed, 4 RFA's. 11f, 6d, 2g

Toronto: 13.028 to spend, 19 signed, 1 RFA's. 11f, 8d, 1g "

the entire list is here

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=7973

jeez, you make it sound easy !!

aebischer and bonk won't be back but I don't see how gainey will get rid of samsonov...unless he picks up another dead body elsewhere whicjh by any means would not help us that much.

If I was Gainey I'd accept a 6th rounder and a Molson Dry for Samsonov.

6.75 million for a guy like Souray ... dmd this league is going crazy! He isn't bad but surely not good enough for a Nr.1 blueliner salary.

Markov already has our #1 man salary.

:hlogo:

I think we need reinforcement on the D coaching level... I really dont know what the situation id on the D line... foes Jarvis have D assistant coaches? Even with the likes of us getting a real good Dman next year we are probably getting a bulldog or two in the lineup. We need some more Brain matter in the tactics arena .. specially with the Anaheim experiment showing how with good coaching the D rookies looked good out there

Anaheim doesn't have any D rookies in their starting 6.

And all of our coaches are defensive, I don't think it really matters what position they play. They have the mindset.

Anaheim doesn't have any D rookies in their starting 6.

And all of our coaches are defensive, I don't think it really matters what position they play. They have the mindset.

true I mis-used the rookie term... I was basing my idea on the Young Ducklings article in the 2006-07 Hockey news magazine... where Beauchemin, Bryzgalov among others where highlighted

I will argue the D mindset will not entirely address coaching Dmen caoching a Two way forward isnt the same as coaching a D into a Markov or Niedermayer (natural talent apart)

I dunno how much of a difference it makes.

Even if Beauchemin were a rookie, I think it's Pronger and Niedermayer who are the real coaches on that blueline. Markov is the one who will teach Emelin. Having Hannan or one of the other bigname UFA would be a big help. Or else rookies have to be the heros and we don't want that to happen.

Currently under contract for the Habs are:

Begin, Bouillon, Dandenault, Halak, Huet, Kostitsyn, Koivu, Kovalev, Lapierre, Latendresse, Markov, Murray, Samsonov, and Streit. They total 30 million. That's 2 goalies, 4 D, and 8 forwards.

Add Higgins and Komisarek and we're now at 33.4 million for 2 goalies, 5 D, and 9 forwards.

Fill the blanks game

so with Sammy out what are we looking for? to complement the 2 top forward lines?

will we see Kovy and Koivu together and if so do we need to get another LWinger? I too liked the Higgins Plek Kosty line...

Option 1

______ - Koivu - Kovalev

Higgins - Pleks - ______

Do we put Lats or Kosty up on the top line? or we make Ryder the off wing forward so as to keep the Hamilton line intact? or what about trying another hamilton or Finn Player on there? Or sign a UFA winger or trade for one?

Option 2

Higgins - Koivu - Ryder

______ - UFA - Kovalev

keep the Koivu line from last year and make a complete new line for Kovalev? and put the rest of the kids on the bottom two lines?

the addition of the new finns could cause a nice headache if they surprise us in training camp... I still say we sign ONE UFA but what kind is it that we need... We've tilted the balance in favor of speedy smallish players on our roster.. I ponder if a Drury and Briere type of player is what we still need.. but there aren't any big bona fide Big power forwards outhere (Yashin not being one) A trade is needed in order to get that PF who's not available through free agency. or do we go for 3-4 Mil players...

Remember Gainey promissed Koivu we were not rebuilding ... how does that translate in signings?

Edited by CoRvInA

I'm so hyped about this... I dont know any other team that has moved so much in the offseason?

I just thought WHAT IF... the Finns (Koivu and the new two) click from the get go.. this equals depth in case original lines dont work. but imagine this

Lehti-Koivu-Salme (top 2 line)

Higgins-Plek-Kosty (another top 2 line) alla Ottawa 3rd line

were left with Lats, Ryder and Kovalev (smells like one of these RW is either playing off wing or traded)

this is a remote possibility but it could happen... You dont know what the Koivu factor might mean to these Co-nationals

you said reshaping.. I used the verb To Do... if u wanna underestimate the sammy issue that your opinion...

anyways the guys I HOPE are working on improving their minuses this summer

Steve Begin: Get those injuries healed and get that cardio back in track (cause of the injuries)

Christopher Higgins: how's the ankle? skate skate and get back to 100%

Andrei Kostitsyn: same here, somehow I think he needs to slightly turn a bit more fat into muscle fibres. could be mistaken.

Saku Koivu: The eye... other than that i don't worry about this man he's always training

Alexei Kovalev: Argg... I don't know.. fix the knees (its two knees now right?)go get some psycho therapy and become the leader u were brought here to be!

Guillaume Latendresse: Skate Budyy Skate!

Garth Murray: All of the above! you cant improve on talent but if u improve the cardio and maybe boxing lessons

Tony Salmelainen: Don;t know enough For your benefit come in to training camp at your peak...

5 Defencemen

Francis Bouillon: injuries a past thing we hope...get back into shape and come into the training camp at your best

Mathieu Dandenault: same here you shall be fighting for your stint in Habsland with the Cube so for your sake Get back to your best

I'm so hyped about this... I dont know any other team that has moved so much in the offseason?

I just thought WHAT IF... the Finns (Koivu and the new two) click from the get go.. this equals depth in case original lines dont work. but imagine this

were left with Lats, Ryder and Kovalev (smells like one of these RW is either playing off wing or traded)

this is a remote possibility but it could happen... You dont know what the Koivu factor might mean to these Co-nationals

Yeah, I mentioned that yesterday. I also wonder if us getting Lahti and Salmy could help attract Selanne and/or Timmonen.

Only way Selanne comes is if he divorces his wife who refuses to live in a cold climate.

As for Timmonen it is well known he and koivu are great friends and Kimmo has the upmost respect for Koivu.

Lehti-Koivu-Salme :lol:

would do well in the SM-Liiga yes...

in NHL? never.

Only way Selanne comes is if he divorces his wife who refuses to live in a cold climate.

As for Timmonen it is well known he and koivu are great friends and Kimmo has the upmost respect for Koivu.

enough to "surrender" $1-2M per year?

^_^

Timmonen is rumoured to be going to Philly though. If that happens, watch out. They are not nearly a bad as the standings would indicate. Had they played the entire season with a puck-moving defenceman like Timmonen (in addition to Pitkanen) they may very well have been a playoff team. They are also the front-runners for Gomez, I believe, and are pushing hard for pretty much every big-name free agent out there.

Also, Jeff Carter has 1st line C potential. If he stays healthy this season, that's a huge plus.