HW Tennis Fanatics

Fanpuck33

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...

I'm not a big tennis enthusiast but it's nice to see Milos Raonic's success so far on the ATP tour early this year. His game still needs refining (a serve can only take you so far) but he looks like he's going to be for real. Caught pieces of the last 2 finals, not bad for a guy ranked 159th to start the season.

I'm not a big tennis enthusiast but it's nice to see Milos Raonic's success so far on the ATP tour early this year. His game still needs refining (a serve can only take you so far) but he looks like he's going to be for real. Caught pieces of the last 2 finals, not bad for a guy ranked 159th to start the season.

I totally gave up on the Habs game yesterday to catch the final set. He is promising.

• 2 years later...

I'm surprised I didn't wear out the last channel button on my remote tonight flipping back and forth between the Habs-Bruins game and the Canada-Italy Davis Cup doubles match. Canada takes the final set 15-13 (I think the last set took two hours), what a tense one. Canada can advance to the semis by winning one of the singles matches tomorrow.

I'm surprised I didn't wear out the last channel button on my remote tonight flipping back and forth between the Habs-Bruins game and the Canada-Italy Davis Cup doubles match. Canada takes the final set 15-13 (I think the last set took two hours), what a tense one. Canada can advance to the semis by winning one of the singles matches tomorrow.

Done. This is great. But forget about it. Djokovic is just too strong for Milos.

Done. This is great. But forget about it. Djokovic is just too strong for Milos.

They could line it up to keep the two away from each other and basically make it that the doubles match will ultimately determine the winner. I imagine there will be one head-to-head between the two but it's certainly not impossible (improbable, sure).

They could line it up to keep the two away from each other and basically make it that the doubles match will ultimately determine the winner. I imagine there will be one head-to-head between the two but it's certainly not impossible (improbable, sure).

That would be a great strategy for Canada.

That would be a great strategy for Canada.

For sure although I have to think that Serbia would get the final chance to revise the lineup (just like Canada did against Italy and Spain). That means if Serbia wants to go 'power on power,' I'd have to think they could.

Interestingly enough, I believe one of Serbia's doubles players used to be Daniel Nestor's doubles partner for quite some time. Heck, he may still be (I seldom pay attention to tennis) for all I know.

• 4 months later...

There will be a Canadian in the Final this year in Montreal as Raonic will face Pospisil will face each others in one of the semis.

:halm:

That's the first time at the Rogers Cup that this has happened (two make the semis). That should be some nice momentum for Tennis Canada heading into the next leg of the Davis Cup.

Well. Nadal gave a tennis clinic to Raonic.

I think Pospisil would have given him a better run. Not only was Raonic not 100% but he was wildly inconsistent all tournament long. I don't think Pospisil would have won but he may have at least lasted a little longer.

I think Pospisil would have given him a better run. Not only was Raonic not 100% but he was wildly inconsistent all tournament long. I don't think Pospisil would have won but he may have at least lasted a little longer.

huuuummm. Not sure about that. Not even sure that anyone beyond Nadal in the rankings would have lasted longer. The way Nadal was playing yesterday was quite awesome. All his balls were falling a few inches short from the side lines and often VERY deep. He had no flaw.

huuuummm. Not sure about that. Not even sure that anyone beyond Nadal in the rankings would have lasted longer. The way Nadal was playing yesterday was quite awesome. All his balls were falling a few inches short from the side lines and often VERY deep. He had no flaw.

Raonic is a clear top 10 player.... but the gap between the top 4 and #5-10 is humongous

Raonic is a clear top 10 player.... but the gap between the top 4 and #5-10 is humongous

Totally agree, but more top 5. Gotta include Roger. It's a 4-5 men game era.

• 4 weeks later...

It looks like there will be just the one head-to-head on the Sunday. Pospisil gets Djokovic Day 1 while Raonic gets Tipsarevic, they flip on Day 3.

• 1 month later...

Pospisil had a nice run in Switzerland. He faced off against Federer in the semis and really gave him a good run. He won a second set tiebreak to get it to a final set before losing 7-5. He matched Federer step for step for most of the match, I was really impressed.

• 5 months later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Raonic is off to the Wimbledon finals after ousting Federer in 5 sets. What a tournament he's having. He's the first Canadian male to make it to a Grand Slam final (in singles; Daniel Nestor has done so in doubles quite a few times over the years).

There's a Canadian in the boys' final at Wimbledon as well this weekend. Not bad at all.