HW Tennis Fanatics

Fanpuck33

• 1 year later...
  • Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2 minutes ago, dlbalr said:

I didn't catch any of the match yesterday but Shapovalov beating Nadal is certainly one of the biggest upsets in recent memory.  That certainly helped get rid of some of the sting of Raonic going out early.

It was EPIC.  Shapovalov was playing like a top 20 player, period.  Nadal did not choke at all.  He played great.  Many good shots along the lines, not so many mistakes.

Shapovalov was just unreal.

He won the next round against Mannarino as well so he's now into the semis against Alex Zverev. Youngest player ever to reach a masters QF/SF. As was noted earlier in the thread, Shapovalov has won the Wimbledon junior championship before so he has some great talent but I still wonder if this will be somewhat of a one hit wonder for him. When other players start paying attention to you and dissecting your game, it becomes a lot tougher to do well. So far he has gone a little bit under the radar. What I do like about him is the unique combination of being a left handed player with a one handed backhand.

That being said, even though he has already beaten some great players like Nadal and Del Porto, I will be very surprised if he pulls off the semi final win against Sacha Zverev. Go Shapovalov but I have to think Zverev will take it in straight sets.

• 2 years later...