Juraj Mikus goes back in the draft.

Tony

Just a side note, The Habs and Juraj Mikus couldn't agree to a contract before June 1st so he will officially re-enter the draft this year,

Do you have a source for this? Or are just assuming this since he hasn't signed yet?

Edited by Peter Puck

Do you have a source for this? Or are just assuming this since he hasn't signed yet?

Well I was watching Sports 30 a couple of days ago and that's what they said. So no signing, no Mikus is what I figured.

But doesn't the fact he's playing juniors extend that deadline like other Junior players ?

No. Euros and Canadian juniors have the same deadline of 2 years starting with the 2005 draft (new CBA). NCAA prospects get 4 years (until they graduate).

But the deadline is this afternoon, not midnight. According to my clock, he's still ours for at least 2 hours and 6 minutes.

Under the old CBA, we would've held his rights forever. Now, those players have 4 year deadlines (so Emelin's is next season), and Heino-Lindberg's and Korpikari's are this year. But they won't re-enter the draft, so the deadline is later (July 15 or something), and then they become UFA's. Russia is a different case, actually, because of the lack of a transfer agreement... they kind of play that one by ear.

It's unfortunate if he leaves but I don't think it's that bad. we have few players that can take his spot.

Wait a second. I thought there were two players named Juraj Mikus, can we confirm that this is the one we drafted who is re-entering the draft...

Yes, 2 players name Juraj Mikus. One is an ex-Habs prospect re-entering the NHL draft this year (he's forward) and the other is a prospect eligible for this year's draft who has never been drafted before (and I think he's a defensemen, not usre).

Very strange ... plus no news. Wonder if he was asking for too much, or whether he wasn't in our long-term plans. We convinced him to come to North America, and he seemed to have a good year ... so what went wrong?

do we get compensation (ala A.J. Thelen), or is that reserved for failed first rounders only?

No compensation.

I believe this had something to do with the 50 contracts rule

(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players and 3 goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 Player limit.

No compensation.

I believe this had something to do with the 50 contracts rule

(a) Not more than 50 Players signed to an SPC and not less than 24 Players and 3 goalkeepers under an SPC. Age 18 and age 19 Players who were returned to Juniors, and who have not played 11 NHL Games in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 Player limit.

I assume they felt Russell was a better prospect than Mikus, and decided they only wanted to give one of those 50 contracts out to either of them.

Remember, because of this rule, it would've been harder for us to sign both Emelin and Valentenko if we had signed Mikus.

Bottom line, we won't be the only ones in this situation. Every other team will lose prospects and they will become available also (à la Russell)..

GO :hlogo: GO!

I guess Mikus didn't have what it takes or they would have signed him. I'm kinda surprised mind you he seemed to get better and better as the season went on last year. Oh well I guess not every pick is going to work out. lol