Kovalev Apologizes to Gainey

shortcat1

In an article on RadioCanada.ca, it's stated that a Alex Kovalev has apologized for his behaviour to Bob Gainey (a few weeks ago, in fact...) He goes on to say that he's happy with the Canadiens and loves Montreal and he hopes to win a Stanley Cup with the team. Further, he says, jokingly, that he'd play for the Canadiens till he was 50 if the team would allow him to do so. He says that it was a frustrating for all.

As to Carbonneau, he recognizes that Guy was a rookie coach and that everything he did was for the best of the team. He says that Carbonneau did some things wrong and could have reacted better to some situations and that he has no problems with Carbonneau on the whole.

Here's a link to the Radio Canada page: http://www.radio-canada.ca/sports/hockey/2...3-kovalev.shtml

GO :hlogo: GO!

Edited by shortcat1

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

SNIFF SNIFF

YEAH KOVY!! I'm sorry!! I'm biting the hook! I have to believe him even though it sound that perhaps he likes whats happening to the team and the little but sure moves the habs have done so far!

Man you guys are loyal. It sounds to me like a complete suck up trying to get his job back. I guess after sniffing around other teams know one else wants him either and he knows it.

He has to say that to get his nice fat contract back. I don't buy it, and it was still a double sided apology, i was wrong but...

He can go, he will not improve his game. It hasn't improved in years.

Actions speak louder then words Alex.

Man you guys are loyal. It sounds to me like a complete suck up trying to get his job back. I guess after sniffing around other teams know one else wants him either and he knows it.

He has to say that to get his nice fat contract back. I don't buy it, and it was still a double sided apology, i was wrong but...

He can go, he will not improve his game. It hasn't improved in years.

so let's wait to the next season.

i guess it is cool that he made a semi-public apology. A lot of athletes (and others) mouth off and never say sorry.

That being said, Alex probably realizes that he is virtually impossible to trade and that his life will be easier in montreal if he is seen as a good guy. Hopefully he remembers that the next time he only gets 12 minutes of ice time.

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Carbo is at fault as much as Kovy. I am old enough to remember Carbo as captain, and he strutted around the ice before the opening face off like he owned the world. Point is, he has a a very good hockey mind but also a huge ego. I can see with certain players, such as Kovy, how he could rub some guys the wrong way. I hope Carbo is learning, he has said as much. I also hope he doesn't turn into a egocentric coach who isn't sensitive with certain guys. You have to learn how different buttons have to be pushed with different guys.

Good Luck Carbo. Good Luck Kovy. Good Luck habs!

Coincidentally, I wrote this morning on HFboards that IF we can't get a KILLER like Marleau or Richard through a trade ... that we shouldn't go to Brière or Drury, but to KOVALEV...

ie. Who is the UFA which is the BEST MATCH for Kovalev -> Lang, Nylander, etc...

so instead of having another Chemistry experiment (e.g. Sammy) we'd have a sure match... with possible EXPLOSIVE results... (combined duo of 438lbs, 175 pts and +32 in 2000-2001)

Besides, Robert Lang, despite all the critics, is better in "lazy" mode than Mike "wet poodle" Ribeiro.

So in conclusion, I'm not "rooting" for Lang... but if we "HAVETO" sign a UFA, let it be that guy... cheap $, sure results with Kovalev.

Actually, in reading the Radio Canada piece, you find Kovalev saying that Carbo was a rookie coach and that his mistakes were understandable for that reason. Clearly, there were very serious disagreements between Carbo and Kovy; what's important here is that there seems to be contrition on all sides, brokered by Bob (who observes that this sort of thing happens all the time). Good news, but I don't want unilingual fans thinking that Kovalev just started licking Carbo's boots...

i guess it is cool that he made a semi-public apology. A lot of athletes (and others) mouth off and never say sorry.

That being said, Alex probably realizes that he is virtually impossible to trade and that his life will be easier in montreal if he is seen as a good guy. Hopefully he remembers that the next time he only gets 12 minutes of ice time.

totally agreed. I don't care if it's phony, as long as he STICKS to it this time... I think we're stuck with him (with his contract and lack of production, who's gonna take him off our hands?), so it's better that he's happy...

I've said this before, and I'll say it again. Carbo is at fault as much as Kovy. I am old enough to remember Carbo as captain, and he strutted around the ice before the opening face off like he owned the world. Point is, he has a a very good hockey mind but also a huge ego. I can see with certain players, such as Kovy, how he could rub some guys the wrong way. I hope Carbo is learning, he has said as much. I also hope he doesn't turn into a egocentric coach who isn't sensitive with certain guys. You have to learn how different buttons have to be pushed with different guys.

Good Luck Carbo. Good Luck Kovy. Good Luck habs!

Yup!

After reading this article I have even less respect for Kovalev. I mean, if you are going to shit disturb, at least have strength in your convictions. But if your convictions are less than 100%, bite the bullet and play hard.

Also, I think he is a weasel. Who, if not him, are the ones sticking around for a paycheck ... it is him and his buddy Samsonov. Who else? Maybe Ryder? But most other people played hard.

Comments like that should stay private ... he is just trying to stir the pot again, and it will be seen by the team as a very unteamly thing to do. The sooner we can eject this reject, the better for the team.

he says he asked Bob what his role should be and (this is what I think) pointed out a few players that are playing just for money???

thats interesting because i'm on the impression that if there are player who come to play only for the money, kovy is one of them if not the leader of the pack!!

dont forget your talking to the king of quotes !!!

I'm not asking for miracles from alex. but perhaps a better effort and a 60 pts season would be just fine for me

good point from this blogger on RDS

http://www.rds.ca/canadien/talkbacks/230421/266954.html

Within reason how much of Kovy' season can be in fact blamed on Sammy's team adjusting and Plek getting the call to do more than he had ever done?

could this have cost perhaps 10 pts for kovy and maybe one more victory for the habs and making the playoffs?

could this have cost perhaps 10 pts for kovy and maybe one more victory for the habs and making the playoffs?

Well, lets not forget that Abeisher probably lost us 2-8 points down the stretch. But if no one ever made mistakes, we'd have a 160 point season. So, this isn't about making the playoffs ... I think this is about Kovalev not being a team player, being a shit disturber, and just wanting to perpetuate his ability to sign large contracts.

Even if he plays with us this season, and does super well, I'd still let him walk at the end of his contract unless he was going to sign an incentive based contract. His attitude this past season was unforgivable.

Well, dont let the name fool you..He may be my favorite player on Montreal, because when he is on his game, he is on...and is the one who brings 21,273 to their feet and drops many mouthes when making opposing players lose their jockstraps. Expect AK27 to be in full flight next year! And put the guy with Koivu if he can't find a compatible linemate...All will be well in the city that eats, breathes, and sleeps hockey! GO :hlogo:

He will need to find his legs back if he wants to play in America past this contract.

Even the Russia team at World Championship didn't want him on their roster for free.

But i wonder if there is something under this ??

A little trip to Montreal in June for general manager redemption ?? Liked he could give a damn

about what people think of him.

Or just a trip to wash is reputation and make him a litlle more tradable.

Even if he plays with us this season, and does super well, I'd still let him walk at the end of his contract unless he was going to sign an incentive based contract. His attitude this past season was unforgivable.

:clap::clap::clap::clap: and even then, (with an incentive based contract) forget it...

I haven’t been on this board for a very long time...but when I first joined last fall, everyone was convinced that we had fully removed the cancer from the locker-room when we got rid of Ribs, Dage and Theo. Now we have new cancers to remove this season (sammy, kovy). It seems to me...from the perspective of a non-hockey super-analyst that either this team has a VERY aggressive form of cancer that has invaded its lymphatic system....or maybe this team has been playing a system that is not suited for the types of players on the team. Have I missed something here? Why do the habs always have to go into life-saving cancer surgery every summer??

Edited by cfposi

Because they keep signing players who are a cancer. Until Carbo took over theose players and other lazy players got a free pass for the last 5 or 6 years. Only the past coaches suffered any consequences to these players. Now that has changed, it's Carbo's way or the highway. I for one say it's about time.

Also the system arguement doesn't hold water, most players interviewed said that Carbo lets them do basically what they want in the offensive zone but do have responsibilities in there own end. So to say the players are stagnet in the offensive zone just isn't true.

I have an idea, blame the lazy players who get paid millions who rarely show up, don't play with passion or care if they win or lose.

Carbo had no problems getting the young players to show up and play hard.