Valentenko on his way to N.America and the habs?

Habitforming

According to the Gazette this morning:

"As for shoring up the defence, the Canadiens haven't made an announcement, but it appears they have a deal with Russian Pavel Valentenko. Sovietsky Sport recently published a list of player movements and noted that Valentenko was leaving Neftekhimik in the Russian Super League for the Canadiens."

Hopefully this is true.

Maybe Emelin can get a discount on his flight if he joins Valentenko :)

This is really great news.

Will this guy be NHL ready come October? or will he most likely spend a season in Hamilton?

in the same article Pat Hickey says Trevor Timmins thinks he'll be in Hamilton at least at first, if not the whole season. he's 6-2, but he's 195 pounds, so he needs to fill out a bit... Still, WONDERFUL news, if not for this year, then soon...

This is really great news.

Will this guy be NHL ready come October? or will he most likely spend a season in Hamilton?

According to Trevor Timmins he is "likely" to start his N.American career in Hamilton. Lets face it though we could stand to move Boullion or Dandenault or both for O'Byrne, Valentenko, or Emelin...maybe all three.

Valentenko is pretty raw. He's just about to turn 20 this fall. He's a solid prospect, but he has a lot of work ahead of him to make the NHL.

Emelin is the one that seems NHL ready, but he's 2 years older and more physically mature than Valentenko.

If Valentenko comes over, he will likely be in the #10 spot on our defensive depth chart to start the year, about where O'Byrne was at the start of last season.

This is very good for the organization. Even if he doesn't play much on the Habs next year, the Dogs will be getting yet another solid prospect. Playing in Hamilton would probably be better for him anyway. Acclimatizing to North America in Montreal is usually not a good idea.

great news. its a step foward rebuilding our D. I think he'll spend the season in hamilton, though. I don't see how he could crack the lineup with all the talent in front of him( please read a little irony here)

with david fischer, matthieu carle, alexei emelin, ryan o'byrne and soon-to-be habs nick pettrecki, this teams D could become a force in a couple of years

suddenly Defense isn't that big of an issue.

Edited by marky_and_komi

Cam someone tell me if he is offensive D, defensive D or good at both.

I know Emilin is alot like Kaspiritis.

He's definitely more offensive than Emelin from what I've seen, but I still think he's more of a defensive d-man. I couldn't give you a direct comparison, though.

Thank you.

Marky and Komi, you think they'll take Petrcki # 1? I think they'll go Espo or Gillies #1, followed by the top D prospect on the board #2.

I just dont see how epsosito can be available come our turn. if so I think we take him.

I think they will go for a complete package D in petrecki.

I sure hope that gillies wont be taken by montreal. nothing spectacular with him.

but that matter will be discussed in an another thread, I don't want to hijack it.

I'd be absolutely torn if they took Gillies... lol

I've wanted to have a Blades player be a Habs prospect for a long time, but I think Gillies is ridiculously overrated and won't be anything more than an energy line player at best in the NHL. Which if that's what you want, then take him, by all means. I still think he has better upside as a d-man...

I like Colton, he's just not a 1st round player at all, and his inclusion as a pretty much guaranteed 1st rounder leads me to believe that this draft is worse than 1999.

Thank you.

Marky and Komi, you think they'll take Petrcki # 1? I think they'll go Espo or Gillies #1, followed by the top D prospect on the board #2.

The habs will not have two first round picks by the time the draft starts, they might not even have one.

The habs will not have two first round picks by the time the draft starts, they might not even have one.

We'd need a willing dance partner for that sort of move ... just because we might be willing, doesn't mean it will happen. Two first round picks in the teens may not draw that much ... unless the team with a higher pick really doesn't need anything that is on the shelf!

I had a feeling that Valentenko would be the one to sign with the Habs. I have not seen him play very much [once at the previous WJHC tournament] but I'll predict that he's at around the same level as O'Bryne was at this time last year. However, Valentenko faces the typical culture shock and language issue that all Europeans (especially Russians) face when they sign an NHL contract. To my way of thinking, that will mean he'll need at least one full season in the AHL for seasoning, and two seasons would not be disappointing. Having said that, if he plays well and impresses the Habs staff he may also benefit from a callup or two during these next two seasons.

Look for Emelin to arrive next season at the earliest, since his current contract will have expired then. Of course, his current head coach is his father, so the nepotism part could work against the Habs convincing him that he should sign with the Canadiens. How Emelin will also fit into the then Habs depth chart may help him decide whether or not it's worthwhile for him to try to make it to the NHL. By that time, the Habs he could be facing a much more difficult task of making the Canadiens.

We'd need a willing dance partner for that sort of move ... just because we might be willing, doesn't mean it will happen. Two first round picks in the teens may not draw that much ... unless the team with a higher pick really doesn't need anything that is on the shelf!

also the picks (thats where the none comes in) could be sweeteners for trade purposes

I had a feeling that Valentenko would be the one to sign with the Habs. I have not seen him play very much [once at the previous WJHC tournament] but I'll predict that he's at around the same level as O'Bryne was at this time last year. However, Valentenko faces the typical culture shock and language issue that all Europeans (especially Russians) face when they sign an NHL contract. To my way of thinking, that will mean he'll need at least one full season in the AHL for seasoning, and two seasons would not be disappointing. Having said that, if he plays well and impresses the Habs staff he may also benefit from a callup or two during these next two seasons.

Look for Emelin to arrive next season at the earliest, since his current contract will have expired then. Of course, his current head coach is his father, so the nepotism part could work against the Habs convincing him that he should sign with the Canadiens. How Emelin will also fit into the then Habs depth chart may help him decide whether or not it's worthwhile for him to try to make it to the NHL. By that time, the Habs he could be facing a much more difficult task of making the Canadiens.

Still there is a clear showing (it might me circumstantial I grant you that) the Habs have put trust in Russian players... the repercussions of this in attracting UFA and other players willing to play?

Excellent news, assuming it's true. But Valentenko isn't close to NHL ready. Help is coming, but not this year. Emelin is the only D in the organization with even a remote chance of making a major impact in Mtl this year. Jancevski or Cote might make the team, but not be major players. A guy like O'Byrne might be able to make an impact by the end of next season, but he's got a LOT of mistakes to make along the way to being a regular NHL defenceman.

I think we'll get Emelin to come over by training camp given his status with his own organization. He's under contract but unhappy and in a dispute over unpaid wages. His team could be in breach of contract and therefore free him to go, and if it is still unsettled he might invoke that 2 week notice that freed Malkin from his contract last year because he's so unhappy. I interpret from the situation that he wants out of Lada, and the logical next step is Montreal. Markov may have done some convincing with him at the World Championships.

I think we'll get Emelin to come over by training camp given his status with his own organization. He's under contract but unhappy and in a dispute over unpaid wages. His team could be in breach of contract and therefore free him to go, and if it is still unsettled he might invoke that 2 week notice that freed Malkin from his contract last year because he's so unhappy. I interpret from the situation that he wants out of Lada, and the logical next step is Montreal. Markov may have done some convincing with him at the World Championships.

I'm not sure about a lot of talking from markov... this guy speaks with his actions. I WANT emelin this year, but I suspect it won't happen...

Great news. Now we just have to get Emelin over here and our D is in great shape for years to come.