Islanders Buy Yashin Out

beliveau1

I just hear don the radio that the Islanders will buy yashin out !!

now, If gainey sign him( of course he won't) I,ll cheer for the leafs !!

what'd I say !!!

I tha man !!

at least the isles have come to common sense. one team I can see him go to is the atlanta trashers. he'd be a good fit with kovalchuk !!

I remember reading a couple different articles earlier this year (quoting Snow I think..) that they weren't going to buy him out....Guess Wang decided different.

I remember reading a couple different articles earlier this year (quoting Snow I think..) that they weren't going to buy him out....Guess Wang decided different.

wang decides EVERYTHING !! thats why he had to hire a perfect yes-man as a gm.

I'm not interpreting this move the way some of you are. I believe that Wang had to be convinced by his current coach, GM and other staff that buying out Yashin was best for the team. For years now, Wang has been told otherwise about Yashin from Mike Milbury. Since it's Wang's money, Wang should have the ultimate decision, especially since it must be particularly difficult to pay an ex-employee to do nothing for your organization for 8 years!

If anything, Mike Milbury leaving the organization must show how much of a Yashin supporter he was. 'Mad' Mike was the one who had the idea to sign Yashin, and he must have convinced Wang that the idea of such a long term, big salary contract was a good idea. Milbury's short-sightedness [ie. rating Yashin's talent over his professional committment, previous history of money over playing for sitting out a contract year] was not just a matter of "hindsight being 20-20". If he had talked to any Ottawa Senator's fan

In short, it's no coincidence that Yashin and Milbury has left the Islanders organization within 1 week of each other.

I'm not interpreting this move the way some of you are. I believe that Wang had to be convinced by his current coach, GM and other staff that buying out Yashin was best for the team. For years now, Wang has been told otherwise about Yashin from Mike Milbury. Since it's Wang's money, Wang should have the ultimate decision, especially since it must be particularly difficult to pay an ex-employee to do nothing for your organization for 8 years!

If anything, Mike Milbury leaving the organization must show how much of a Yashin supporter he was. 'Mad' Mike was the one who had the idea to sign Yashin, and he must have convinced Wang that the idea of such a long term, big salary contract was a good idea. Milbury's short-sightedness [ie. rating Yashin's talent over his professional committment, previous history of money over playing for sitting out a contract year] was not just a matter of "hindsight being 20-20". If he had talked to any Ottawa Senator's fan

In short, it's no coincidence that Yashin and Milbury has left the Islanders organization within 1 week of each other.

On TSN they mentioned that they will pay something like $17 mil to let him walk away ... the 2.2 a year for 8 years is just the cap hit they'll take for that $17 mil ... they're not paying him 2.2 for 8 years :)

btw just think of it ... the waste of money line coming to montreal

Samsonov , Yashin , Kovalev

:wacko:

So much for us or T.O. getting Smitty. Edmonton's possible Smitty plans take a hit today as well. The Isles are probably going to overpay him now.

As for Yashin, I have advice. Play hockey because Yashin, you are the most pathetic NHL example (maybe ever) of a player that was WAY OVERPAID! Did Yashin ever beat Saku's point totals even once while with NY? :blink:

The Washington Jagr deal was off the wall too but Jagr > Yashin (and Jagr isn't even a centre - what does that say?) so I have to conclude that this is the worst deal in history. Maybe Dipietro?

Edited by ATHLÉTIQUE.CANADIEN

I disagree with you. I based this on the Newsday article I read about the payout. You can check out my blog for the Newsday URL, as I don't have it handy:

http://hockeyranting.blogspot.com

If you look at both the TSN & Newsday articles, you'll see a lot more details and quotes in the Newsday one. I also checked the CBA about the payout issue, and it confirms that payouts are covered over a period of twice the remaining years on the players contract.

On TSN they mentioned that they will pay something like $17 mil to let him walk away ... the 2.2 a year for 8 years is just the cap hit they'll take for that $17 mil ... they're not paying him 2.2 for 8 years :)

btw just think of it ... the waste of money line coming to montreal

Samsonov , Yashin , Kovalev

:wacko:

He had a silly contract to begin with. Then again the goalie has like a lifetime contract. :wacko: What's going on over there?

Wang is crazy !!!

Mad Mike is still with the Islanders, but just in an advisory role, so the damage he can do is minimal. I think if Snow falls on his face somewhere down the road, you could very well see Milbury back in the GM's office.

C'mon leafs. Use up all your available cap-space and sign this winner. Then tell us all that toronto is where he's always wanted to play.

Yeah, Milbury is still an advisor to Wang, but it's not related to the Islanders part of Wang's business. This May 30 Newsday article mentioned that Milbury will still be helping Wang with his Project Hope program, to help promote hockey in China. There has been speculation since the start of June that Mike wants to get back into the NHL as a broadcaster. In a foreshadowing kind of way, the article also discussed Yashin:

"Despite his decision to leave Islanders management, Milbury said he remains close to Wang. Asked if there was a conflict over the owner's recent decision to keep Alexei Yashin rather than buy out his contract, Milbury said: "No, there's nothing going on there. I've been very removed."

http://www.newsday.com/sports/hockey/ny-sp...ockey-headlines

Edited by habscout

I'd have tried the trade route first. Or at least give him a chance to show some improvement. Not sure why they jumped so fast on pulling a stunt like this, I'm surprised that they weren't able to find a buyer or a trade partner for Yashin; even at a reduced return. I'd have taken draft picks or a player from the farm. Now mind you I would not have put myself in this position to begin with but thems the breaks!

C'mon leafs. Use up all your available cap-space and sign this winner. Then tell us all that toronto is where he's always wanted to play.

I believe that all free agents are:

1. Going to loser leafs

2. All free agents want to play for the center ooops loser of the universe.

3. All free agents that are retirement age will sign with loser leafs.

4. Every free agents dream is to go to a team with no cup for 40 years.

5. All free agents know loser leafs will overpay. (See Andropov new contract)

And last but not least, all free agents believe in the tooth fairy too!

Moral of the story:

DO NOT SIGN 10-YEAR CONTRACTS

DiPietro's 15-year contract is even more ridiculous.

Newbie GM over with the Isles...

but with the way the cap is going Dipi will be making leage min by the end of his contract.

Ryan Smyth might just re-sign now that Yashin is gone.

I can't believe the notion of Yashin coming here is even mentioned. I hate Yashin. Ugh, he is such a lazy floater. Plays with no enthusiasm, is/was overpaid, and is a cancer. He might as well wear a Samsonov jersey while he's at it.

Ryan Smyth might just re-sign now that Yashin is gone.

Ryan smyth( I'm sure) wants a chance to win the cup. why the hell would hesign with the isles??

I pretty sure he'll get great money from a team closer to the cup.

Ryan smyth( I'm sure) wants a chance to win the cup. why the hell would hesign with the isles??

I pretty sure he'll get great money from a team closer to the cup.

Other then the fact that Isles fans would have revolted if Yashin stayed, I think the main reason he was bought was to prove to Smyth that the Isles organization was going to start trying to win. I'm sure if the organization made the right moves, he would stay.

If we go by that logic, he definitly won't be going back to Edmonton, like so many suggest. Edmonton is probably farther off then the Isles right now. As long as MacTavish is coach, no ounce of decent talent will florish on that team, only the 10 or so fourth line grinders. Why do you think Edmonton always drafts so bad? Because MacTavish doesn't play talented players who don't go out and check people or block shots at the same time. He's like a mini Don Cherry. Besides that, the city of Edmonton isn't exactly an ideal place to go anyways.