Would you take Yashin?

Makh2o

You're assuming that Yashin will be garbage though. And that's the big risk that will be there no matter which UFA you pursue.

Man BTH you got a quarter with the previous comment. my thoughts precisely

Adding on this....Imagine this same scenario last summer was now going on and you had a choice between Sammy and Yashin who just got bought out from NY... you would still go with Sammy (of course) with the consequences that we know now ... the same could happen with any other under 3 mil UFA... Yashin has got plenty to prove... imagine he stinks this year thats it!! BYE BYE !! I dont know but I would be on the phone with his agent NOW... and get him to come over and interview him and call Kovy and Koivu and ask them their opinion. offer him one Mil and jam it with incentives (pts, Playoff particpation etc..)

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man BTH you got a quarter with the previous comment. my thoughts precisely

Adding on this....Imagine this same scenario last summer was now going on and you had a choice between Sammy and Yashin who just got bought out from NY... you would still go with Sammy (of course) with the consequences that we know now ... the same could happen with any other under 3 mil UFA... Yashin has got plenty to prove... imagine he stinks this year thats it!! BYE BYE !! I dont know but I would be on the phone with his agent NOW... and get him to come over and interview him and call Kovy and Koivu and ask them their opinion. offer him one Mil and jam it with incentives (pts, Playoff particpation etc..)

But you have to play the percentages. Nobody could have forseen Samsonov's collapse. But Yashin has imploded in both cities in which he's played and is a well-established lazy head case. If he stays true to type, with all the distractions, media hysterics, terrible example to our young players, etc., that that entails, we'll deserve every second of it. (And if he plays great and gets 40 goals, are we really gonna let him go? Would you as a fan accept that? No, we'd face tremendous pressure to resign a player who amounts to a ticking shitbomb). Signing UFAs is NOT just a crapshoot, that's a terrible way to approach it.

Plus, we're trying to build a team, not lurch from year to year with proven losers. Which is what Yashin is. A monster talent, yes. A winner? By absolutely no stretch of the human imagination. A culture of winning - that's what we need. Not a culture of Yashin.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I really love the idea of yashin kovalev and samsonov on the same line we could call it the OOPS line that would be the old overpaid peckerheads line or as someone else already said the WOM (waste of money) line.

Seriously he may have to be an option since he will come cheap is big and scores goals last time I checked we need goals. The biggest knock on Yashin is he is way overpaid for what he is. Had he signed for 2 to 3 million dollars in new york he would not be as hated as he is. Also the holdout or up as the case may be in Ottawa damged his reputation beyond repair. sign him cheap if he screws up ship him to the echl.

and send samsonov with him.

:lol:

Yes 'the Enigma' - we all know how well that one worked out for the Germans in WW2!!!!!

:rolleyes:

As long as there are no Polish players on the other team we would be ok..... It was the Poles who eventually cracked Enigma

As long as there are no Polish players on the other team we would be ok..... It was the Poles who eventually cracked Enigma

Well if the other team had Mariusz Czerkawski I think that would boost our chances of winning.

From CJAD Emylin article:

"As for the Yashin Affair, Diamond, a close associate of Mark Gandler, Yashin's agent, clarifies that NO talks have taken place between Gandler and Gainey or Gandler and Julien Brisebois, Gainey's righthand man. But Diamond does confirm that Montreal is on Yashin's list of team's he'd come to if the offer was right."

So it looks like they drew up a list of teams that were possibly desperate enough to want to sign him, cross referenced it with the teams that he could stomach playing for, and then they decide to start a bidding war if they get any offers.

If the offer is right .... sheesh! How about performance bonuses only Alex!

What if the habs were to sign Briere for......25M over 4 or 5 years.

Most habs fans would rejoice !

What if he flopped like AK ?

What if we inked Cashin for one year at 1 million ?

Which would you prefer.....a 25 $Million mistake or a 1 $ Million mistake ?

Take a chance BG.

Take a chance BG.

no doubt.!!!..

Carbo should organize a scrimmage with that line and see how they do. If they look like they will click, sign Yashin.

Or he should sit Kovalev and Samsonov down and ask them, would Yashin solve your problems? Would you start producing better with a guy like him between you?

Take a chance BG.

OK...let's NOT sign an expensive all-star player because 'he might flop,' and instead sign a notorious and proven under-achiever because he 'might produce.' I just don't understand the argument that we should be concentrating on signing gruesome flops instead of proven successes.

Say you have $60 000 to spend on a new car. Do you stay away from the BMW because 'it might be a dud,' and instead pay $10 000 for a used Neon because 'it might turn out to be decent?' NO.

Let some other GM get egg on his face.

Take a chance BG.

Or would you rather bring up a guy like Grabovski that will play his heart out every night and possibly develop into something great?

I thought Yashin would be a nice cheap risk but now that I think twice I would rather have Grabs in his spot at center. But at 1million for one season I am still tempted :)

OK...let's NOT sign an expensive all-star player because 'he might flop,' and instead sign a notorious and proven under-achiever because he 'might produce.' I just don't understand the argument that we should be concentrating on signing gruesome flops instead of proven successes.

Say you have $60 000 to spend on a new car. Do you stay away from the BMW because 'it might be a dud,' and instead pay $10 000 for a used Neon because 'it might turn out to be decent?' NO.

Let some other GM get egg on his face.

Sorry, but the Habs have NEVER in their history signed a free agent that made a significant contribution.

All I suggested was take a chance on the dope ( cheap ) and if the experiment fails, release him.

One million. Pocket change.

Peace.

Or would you rather bring up a guy like Grabovski that will play his heart out every night and possibly develop into something great?

I thought Yashin would be a nice cheap risk but now that I think twice I would rather have Grabs in his spot at center. But at 1million for one season I am still tempted :)

Good thinking. Every year, there are kids looking to make the NHL.

Grabs might just bring his game up a notch in camp if a slug named Yashin was there.

Carey Price might just push Huet / Halek to a better level.

Good thinking. Every year, there are kids looking to make the NHL.

Grabs might just bring his game up a notch in camp if a slug named Yashin was there.

Carey Price might just push Huet / Halek to a better level.

I guess if Yashin didnt work out we could trade him for nothing or sit him and put Grabs in his spot, however if he did play well Grabs wouldnt get his chance. I dunno tough decisions.

If Yashin is willing to take a paycut, I would take him. The guy has hands, he has a good shot.....and he can score.

Screw what he did with the sens, coming to the Canadiens (a serious cup contender) will be a good chance for him to revitalize his career, and a chance for the CH to make a good cup run in 08. Why Not? As for all of the Russian Haters out there, Screw off, im getting sick of the all french lineup....not EVERY player needs to be french! Besides..Briere and Drury will be asking for juicy contracts anyways....so why not resign souray and add this guy in?

Since when are the Habs a Cup contender?

Was just about to ask the same thing. We missed the playoffs this season, what made this team a cup contender all of a sudden?

And Im quite sure that signing Yashin wont make us one. Check the ducks. Compare their defence to ours and you will see one HUGE reason why we arent a contender. Check their goaltending and u got another. Everything can happen but my hopes for next season is that the younger players takes a few more steps forward. Players like Grabovsky, Kostitsyn and Higgins grows even more. I think we need to focus on defence and nothing else. Price will most likely be ready after next year. Next season we make the playoffs (6-8th spot) and the year after that we aim further.

Bold prediction here: we will make the playoffs next year, and we will make it at least past the first round. I'm expecting Price to be with the big clud by the end of the year. I think our D will also solidify over the year, and some of our forward issues will be taken care off. We won't be a cup contender necessarily, but we will make waves.

Check back in one year to see if I am wrong ;)

Yes, that is a bold prediction. It's not going happen but i like the confidence. Until the defense, toughness, character and most importantly work ethic changes this team is going know where.

I'll predict that "core" members will not show up again and BG will finally blow it up. By the end of the year the team will be significantly younger and better.

No playoffs next year. The year after i think it will be a solid playoff team for years.

Bold prediction here: we will make the playoffs next year, and we will make it at least past the first round. I'm expecting Price to be with the big clud by the end of the year. I think our D will also solidify over the year, and some of our forward issues will be taken care off. We won't be a cup contender necessarily, but we will make waves.

Check back in one year to see if I am wrong ;)

Absolutely.

I'll back you 100% and add that we will not finish in the final 2 spots for the playoffs.

The team we see right now is not the one that starts the regular season (let alone the one that starts the playoffs)

I don't see what it is so unreasonable about predicting some playoff success next year. Last year we slogged through a lot of flu and a huge goalie injury to make it within a game of the playoffs. We have a young but maturing team and we have cleared some deadwood out of the lineup, with the very real possibility of clearing out more. We have a rapidly maturing pipeline of guys from the minors who will be more ready to help the big club this coming year as well.

Sure, our D-corp needs to improve, although I think we have a lot of the parts for that. We've already resigned Markove and Souray, for all his faults, is a unique talent that we can hopefully resign. If we don't resign Souray, he can be replaced with someone who will better his 5-5 contribution (although his PP numbers would be missed). Most probably Emelin and Valentenko come to either restock the Bulldog D-Corp or slip in to the lower pairings at the NHL. Seems to me that there are lots of plausibly effective options for D that would allow BG to get rid of one or both of Dandenault of Bouillon. Between Emelin, Valentenko, Gorges, O'Byrne and even Jancevski and maybe even Biron, you have a lot of cheap choices from within the system. Markov, Komi, Streit represent solid pieces that you can slot in. Souray would be great to have, but not so horrendous to lose.

As far as the forward corps, you have a group of decent-to-good attackers (some of whom have quasi-elite upside) and I don't necessarily think our centre depth is so terrible. I'm a big Plekanec believer, and I think he will increasingly draw coverage away from whatever line Koivu is on. Kovalev, as always, is the enigma, but I think the emergence of Kostitsyn, Latendresse, and Higgins potentially allow us to rely less on him.

I'm less sure than Bacchus that Price will be on the big club by the end of the season, but a 3rd major Huet injury in three years combined with any showing of difficulties from Halak could easily lead to a call-up and potential job-steal.

All said, I feel no need to be pessimistic about this team.

PS - Only 1% interested in Yashin.

Edited by simonus

I am not saying sign him, however there are 2 UFAs this year now that Yashin was released that have chances of great comeback seasons. The other is Bertuzzi. Both will not be over paid, but rather be bargains. The question is if they will be healthy and play the way they are capable of night in and out. I don't see either in the tri-color as we have so much depth in the minors that has to be given a shot, but for $1 or 2mill, either would hurt less than Samsonov at 3plus. Yashin did put up good numbers last year. He is a consistant point a night guy. He isn't worth the big cap hit the Isles would have to take to keep him, that is why they bought him out. If his contract was smaller I am sure he would still be an Isle.