Samsonov to Chicago

Fanpuck33

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This can be considered a good move unless Samsonov rebounds with a big year and pots 60 points next season. Neither of those 2 players should be on the habs next season, we have better propects who deserve those spots.

This move is so-so all you fanboys drooling at the mouth to proclaim BG the next prophet of allah should just tone it down a bit.

Hey, for once I agree with Mr. Addition By Subtraction :lol:

This is a tidy way of cleaning up the Samsonov mess, but I'm not looking forward to the retroactive criticism of Bob after Samsonov rebounds with a normal 'Samsonov' season - i.e., production on the level he achieved for 8 straight seasons BEFORE he played for us. Half the people now singing hossannahs will be saying 'He traded top-6 forward Samsonov for garbage - fire Bob now!!'

The sad fact is that when an organization can't get production from a proven NHL performer, that organization has to look itself in the mirror. Nudge, nudge, Carbonneau.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I consider this move to be similar to the Theo/Aeby deal. We move a high-priced failure for cap space. Whether or not Sammy rebounds in Chicago is a moot point, because he would not have done so in Montreal.

Also, who really cares if Rick Mercer is gay or not? I don't see it as being something noteworthy enough to have as a signature on a forum primarily designed for discussion about the Montreal Canadiens.

You saying he wouldn't have done it in Montreal is just speculating, the fact he wasn't given a chance though isn't speculating.

I think it is very noteworthy and the forum has a lounge where anything can be discussed so tough luck. ^_^

Hey faerie.. can you translate the following for me?

Thanks in advance.

Tony Salmelainen

:lol::lol::lol:

I wish I could, but sadly my knowledge of the Finnish language is limited to curse words and "Go Finland Go!" It's a difficult language to learn, even more so due to the general lack of resources.

But from what I gather, he got a penalty at an inopportune moment and hurled a trashcan, accidentally hitting someone and causing an injury.

We got rid of him and didnt send him to a conferance rival. Im happy. Good luck Samsonov, I loved hearing that u were coming here but Im even happier to see u leave. Wonder what Kovalev thinks about this? Cant be anything but good for him. I think we will see a better and harder working Kovalev next season IF he is still here, who knows what Bob has brewing.

You saying he wouldn't have done it in Montreal is just speculating, the fact he wasn't given a chance though isn't speculating.

I think it is very noteworthy and the forum has a lounge where anything can be discussed so tough luck. ^_^

After what happened this past season, I would say it was pretty obvious that Samsonov would never play another game for the Habs. Because of the bad blood, there were pretty much only three options: 1) Send him to the Bulldogs for the season. 2) Buy him out. 3) Trade him.

Well if you want to discuss it, go into the lounge and start a thread. Using your signature is not exactly the best way to go about it. A signature is like a tag-line, not a news headline.

I'm thoroughly impressed with Mr. Gainey's actions so far this offseason... He's taking care of the key issues (markov, higgins, komi, samsonov, etc.) with speed to position himself for the "big one" should the opportunity arise.

Very impressed indeed...

I was expecting Samsonov's 3.5$mil contract to be bought out, instead Bob traded him away for someone else that will be bought out, but at half the cost. Outstanding move!

People sometimes criticise Bob for his occasional "mistakes" (ex: Samsonov) but could he have known Samsonov would be an utter flop last season? No one expected him to perform THAT badly... all GMs make occasional mistakes, or are dealt some bad luck (as in the case with Samsonov). A good GM however, will find a way to correct the problem quickly and efficiently, and this move certainly qualifies.

Well done!

Edited by Cataclaw

I'm thoroughly impressed with Mr. Gainey's actions so far this offseason... He's taking care of the key issues (markov, higgins, komi, samsonov, etc.) with speed to position himself for the "big one" should the opportunity arise.

Very impressed indeed...

I was expecting Samsonov's 3.5$mil contract to be bought out, instead Bob traded him away for someone else that will be bought out, but at half the cost. Outstanding move!

People sometimes criticise Bob for his occasional "mistakes" (ex: Samsonov) but could he have known Samsonov would be an utter flop last season? No one expected him to perform THAT badly... all GMs make occasional mistakes, or are dealt some bad luck (as in the case with Samsonov). A good GM however, will find a way to correct the problem quickly and efficiently, and this move certainly qualifies.

Well done!

I agree. But again, I wish someone were taking note of all the people praising Bob for this move - 'cause when Sammy bags 25 goals and 60 points in Chicago, five'll get you ten that a good chunk of them will be attacking him for it. :rolleyes:

I agree. But again, I wish someone were taking note of all the people praising Bob for this move - 'cause when Sammy bags 25 goals and 60 points in Chicago, five'll get you ten that a good chunk of them will be attacking him for it. :rolleyes:

I hope Samsonov does well in Chicago, I like the guy just not his game.

He may get 60 points but he will be a minus player. Probably -20 because his handling of the puck in his own end is something I did not relish to watch. Chicago better be very very wary of this.

Gainey has yet again done something that all of us here never expected. Honestly how many of us could have pulled this trade off in our wildest imaginations? The majority of us expected a buyout. There is something to be said for brilliant intelligence. Bob has it in spades with this move.

I am so excited for the next three weeks. All these moves have left the habs in a great position financially and positionally on the ice; to sign/trade and make a big splash on Draft day and/or after July 1st.

And if Gainey continues to prove himself in this manner, we are in for a treat!

GO HABS GO!

IN BOB WE TRUST!

everyone else can go BUST!

GO HABS GO!

Gainey has yet again done something that all of us here never expected. Honestly how many of us could have pulled this trade off in our wildest imaginations? The majority of us expected a buyout.

Actually, I never expected a buyout in my wildest dreams. I knew somebody would be willing to take on Samsonov at his current salary. I did expect to trade him for like a 5th rounder, but this is for sure closer to my expectations than a buyout was.

How much was Samsonovs buyout going to cost us? I don't think it was going to be the full 3.5million this year.

Hmm good question, as for Guy no, he has done a terrible job so far. Hopefully he makes up for it this year. Gainey is medicore, not terrible not impressive.

2/3 of 3.5 over the balance of the contract 2 years

cullimore is 2/3 of 1.9 for 1 year

which one do you think is bigger.

as to what happens next year I prefer that we look forward than that we judge this move with 20/20 hindsight so if sammy tanks again and get 35 pts and minus 24 Is bob then a genius? no he made the right decision AT THE TIME unless you want to lend him your time machine so he can go look and see what happens

oke can someone explain me (i probably see something not right cuz im so tired)

Samsonov = 3,5 mln

Cullimore - Tony = 1,9+0.75.

It's not a million difference, so not that big a deal

And why is Cullimore halve against the cap?

I'm confused, i think i can go better to sleep

oke can someone explain me (i probably see something not right cuz im so tired)

Samsonov = 3,5 mln

Cullimore - Tony = 1,9+0.75.

It's not a million difference, so not that big a deal

And why is Cullimore halve against the cap?

I'm confused, i think i can go better to sleep

The habs are buying out cullimore at $633,000. Then add on Salmon steaks at $750,000 (unless he gets bought out too, then it would be less) = $1.383M or so.

Much better then the $3.525M for Sammy.

This move clears out space for a major contract.

Welcome Patrick Marleau, I hope you enjoy your stay!

Hate to say I told you so. :)

I'm not really all too excited about this trade but it was a good move by Gainey. He's trying to find out how much caproom he'll have going into free agency.

:lol::lol::lol:

I wish I could, but sadly my knowledge of the Finnish language is limited to curse words and "Go Finland Go!" It's a difficult language to learn, even more so due to the general lack of resources.

But from what I gather, he got a penalty at an inopportune moment and hurled a trashcan, accidentally hitting someone and causing an injury.

Just search him on YouTube.. i saw the video of the incident today.

:hlogo:

The habs are buying out cullimore at $633,000. Then add on Salmon steaks at $750,000 (unless he gets bought out too, then it would be less) = $1.383M or so.

Much better then the $3.525M for Sammy.

This move clears out space for a major contract.

Welcome Patrick Marleau, I hope you enjoy your stay!

They will not buy out TS because you only get 2 buy outs per CBA, he will either be kept as the 13th-14th forward or sent to Hamilton.

Cullimore, even being bought out, counts to hardly anything on the Cap. Salmon is a decent enough player who can play on the fourth line as it is, and also doesn't make much money. If the coaching staff feels he isn't, then send him to Finland or wherever. It's a win-win since we have more Cap room now.

...and Samsonov is gone. Perhaps the best part of it, dare I say? :P

Nothing against Samsonov, but the situation clearly wasn't working. I send him my regards to Chicago, as hopefully he helps a fellow Original 6 team climb back to respectability.

There seems to be some confusion on this, so let me try and straighten it out, subject to correction by those better informed than I:

Samsonov buyout: 2/3 of the 1 yr/3.525 remaining on his contract, hitting the cap over the next two years: 1.175 in 07-08, 1.175 in 08-09, with total cost of 2.35 M

Instead:

Cullimore buyout: 2/3 of his 1 yr/1.9 hitting the cap over two years, i.e. 633K in 07-08, 633K in 08-09, with total cost of 1.266 M

Salmelainen: no cap hit playing in Hamilton, cost to organization of 750K

So cap hit is 633K in each of the next two years instead of 1.175 M in each of the next two years, and net cost to Habs is 2.015 M instead of 2.35 M.

The verdict?

This is a great deal for Chicago - by accepting to pay 335K more this year than they would have before this trade, and absorbing a higher cap hit (not an issue for a franchise where the owners underspend), they add Sergei Samsonov to their lineup in a contract year and lose dead wood. I fully expect him to have a spectacular year in Chicago and for this to be a huge coup for the Blackhawks (which would be nice, as I don't like seeing them in the basement).

Just because this is a spectacular trade for Dale Tallon doesn't mean that it's a bad trade for Gainey. The Habs also win on this deal because it's better for them financially and cap hitwise than a buyout, and they'd get nothing from a Samsonov buyout whereas now, for less money (even counting Salmelainen's salary) and less cap hit, Salmelainen is thrown in free. Odds are he'll be a nonentity as Grabovski, Ferland, Lil #### and maybe even Lahti deserve lineup spots more than him, but at the absolute worst it's a sop to Dogs management to placate their ire when the Habs pillage the Hamilton lineup next year, and at best he could be a pleasant surprise.

This comparison depends on the inevitability of a Samsonov buyout had Gainey not found a dance partner, and yes, it was inevitable. Even if there was a possibility of Samsonov rebounding here next year (last year before UFAing it again), that possibility was both a) expensive and b) risky. The risk is obvious - he could have just as easily flopped rather than rebounded - but the expense is less so: besides the 3.525 in cash and besides the 3.525 in cap hit, even a spectacular Samsonov rebound would have been 25 goals and 45 assists on a diet of hearty second-line minutes and first PP unit time - minutes that put all kinds of hockey players on the bench that we'd prefer to see on the ice even if they were putting up worse numbers than Samsonov - players who can be signed at RFA numbers for 08-09 and beyond, unlike Samsonov. Those 25 goals and 45 assists would mean nothing to the team in 08-09. Further, factor in as an expense the distraction that any 4-game Samsonov slump would bring, the weakened atmosphere at training camp, etc. I believe Samsonov to be a good dude and I wish him the best, but for an intelligent guy he sure seemed to accidentally say some extremely unwise nonsense last year at inopportune times, and that's just plain expensive.

I was super happy when he was signed last summer, like a lot of people. It seemed like an excellent signing at the time, before the hindsight police decided to dissect every minute of Shanahan's helicopter ride this past March to explain why the Samsonov signing was obviously a bad idea. But no matter how well he does in Chicago, and how much Chicago won on this deal, the Habs are better off too.

Edited by Oleg Petrov

Salmelainen's cap hit is 700,000, not 750,000. He made 650,000 last year and will make 750,000 this year, thus his cap hit is 700,000 each year.

Sorry, I'm an italian fan and I don't understand what means that Cullimore will be bought out...

...maybe that he'll not play with the Habs nex season?

thanks

Nope he wont be playing with us, and that my friend is a good thing.

:hlogo:

OK this is kinda off topic.. had the privilige of meeting Jassen Cullimore in Simcoe, Ont in '96. Great person, great personality.

Sorry, I'm an italian fan and I don't understand what means that Cullimore will be bought out...

...maybe that he'll not play with the Habs nex season?

Under the new rules a team can get out of a contract with a player by buying out their contract. A bought out player gets paid 2/3's of the salary in his contract and then that player is released from the team and becomes free to do anything they want. i.e. sign with another NHL team, retire, or go back to Europe, etc.

Personally I think its smart move. Basically Habs traded a player making $3.5 mil who was going to be bought out for a player making $2 mil for a cheaper buy out cost. The other player the Habs got was just a throw in, and is probably useless or Chi wouldnt have got rid of him, but at least his $750K contract doesnt count against the Habs salary cap if he doesnt play in the NHL.