HW's Auto Racing Thread

Pierre the Great

The best scenario would have one of the big three owners jump from IRL to ChampCar; Penske, Ganassi or Andretti. Mikey won't go because he's too obsessed with winning the Indy 500. Ganassi won't because he's probably losing less money there than he would with ChampCar, and he can use his NASCAR money to underwrite his IRL team. Penske won't because he's too damn loyal to George.

On another note, is it true that when George formed IRL, his first step was trademarking the term "Indy" so CART/ChampCar couldn't use it to promote their races anymore?

Ganassi ran a team in each series for a couple of seasons before making the permanent switch to IRL. I think if he had the time, he'd still be in both series, but he switched focus to NASCAR.

I got a lot for respect for Paul and Carl Haas for staying with ChampCar. I think they saw what George was trying to do, and that's to basically use the IMS and the Indy 500 to make himself the head of open-wheel racing in North America. I think the scariest day in Tony George's life was the F1 fiasco a few years ago where every team except two pitted after the start of the race. If F1 ever pulled up stakes from IMS, that could be huge blow to George and IRL.

Ganassi ran a team in each series for a couple of seasons before making the permanent switch to IRL. I think if he had the time, he'd still be in both series, but he switched focus to NASCAR.

I got a lot for respect for Paul and Carl Haas for staying with ChampCar. I think they saw what George was trying to do, and that's to basically use the IMS and the Indy 500 to make himself the head of open-wheel racing in North America. I think the scariest day in Tony George's life was the F1 fiasco a few years ago where every team except two pitted after the start of the race. If F1 ever pulled up stakes from IMS, that could be huge blow to George and IRL.

well for one it was, and second they are moving. Nobody actually likes going to indy on the f1 circuit. Plus they really don't belong in Indiana. F1 'crowd' is West Coasters easily. Hello Long Beach.

US GP is dead

I'll give you credit, you did call it. I was at the first one, it was a fun event, even if the locals were not all into it. It's easy to blame Tony George for everything, but this can't all be his fault. He did spend money to build that infield track and I'm sure he was hoping Indy would become F1's permanent USA home.

to be honest the problems were:

Yes its Indy but its Indiana

Too close to after the 500.

No national broadcast

No sponsor

Moto GP

It's going to Vegas

Its Indiana not Los Angeles. To me F1 is a west coast or East Coast sport. To me the race should be held at Long Beach. That's the demographic F1 goes after. A little midwestern town in the middle of nowhere is hard to get to.

It was too close after the 500, if locals wanted to go to either 500 or US GP they could only go to one or the other.

No national broadcast. The race was always on Speed. Not ABC, NBC, CBS or even Fox (who owns Speed)

No sponsor. George had a hard time getting a major sponsor for the event. Mainly because of the lack of national broadcast

George snagged the Moto GP from Laguna Seca. Somebody is going to kill themselves on that track.

And Finally, Evilstone is going to move the race to Vegas. Like I said earlier Indy might of been Indy but it's in Indiana . Evilstone wants a pomp show. He'll get it in Vegas.

• 1 year later...
Montreal just lost its F1 Grand Prix. :( Economic catastrophe !!!

no not really. it's only one week end. we still can attract much money from nascar and festivals.

I for one have never been really attracted in the Who's who who wants to be seen festival. I used to live close to the track and I absolutely loved the noise these cars made. another than that...Big MEH !!

More bad news for Montreal racing fans (although I think the dropping of the GP of Montreal is just a ploy by ol' Bernie to get the organizers to give in to his demands), but in NASCAR, Patrick Carpentier was released by GEM (Gillett Evernham Motorsports) today. This is somewhat surprising, even though it'd had been announced that he wouldn't be back in the #10 anyways next year due to lack of sponsorship. It'll be interesting to see if he gets another ride (a couple of months back he was linked to the Wood Brothers #21 car). For that matter, another openwheeler A.J. Allmendinger is also looking for a full time ride after being released by the Red Bull #84 team last week. Considering that Dario Franchitti lost his ride early this season (still running some Nationwide races at least) and Jacques Villeneuve's NASCAR career didn't last all that long, I'm wondering how much longer teams will look to go after open wheel drivers (Castroneves turned down an opportunity a little while back as well.)

• 4 years later...