12. MTL.gif RYAN MCDONAGH St.Paul, MN 6' 1" 200 HIGH-MN CRETIN-DERHAM D L

22. MTL.gifMAX PACIORETTY New Canaan, CT US 6' 1.5" 203 USHL SIOUX CITY LW L

(from S.J)

Edited by CHice

• Replies 946
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If you're going to start a thread like this, it better be special. Take a cue from the ol' Game Day threads. Lots of emoticons, GIFs, team logos, etc.

At least capitalise all your I's. And apostrophes are a must-have. Also, 'tomorrow' and 'night' are two different words.

Heh, okay, enough picking apart from your thread. Who knows, this may well become the uber-draft thread.

I want Angelo.

If you're going to start a thread like this, it better be special. Take a cue from the ol' Game Day threads. Lots of emoticons, GIFs, team logos, etc.

At least capitalise all your I's. And apostrophes are a must-have. Also, 'tomorrow' and 'night' are two different words.

Heh, okay, enough picking apart from your thread. Who knows, this may well become the uber-draft thread.

I want Angelo.

Jeez you sound like my teacher man lol, lay off

and yes we should definently take the chance on espo

I think whatever Espo's potential character issues are, they will be ruthlessly hammered out by Bob, Carbo, Kirk.

They will not let him go to seed like Ribs.

Anyway, I think he'll be gone by our pick, unless we are trading up with Washington's pick (do they have a pick higher than us or did they trade it away?)

Go Habs!

YES...Hey guys i've still been reading the forums don't worry, just lazy on making posts :P but im pretty excited for this draft because I think BG will make a big impact with a trade of some sort. Hoping the Habs Pick up the Italian Stallion Angelo Esposito!! Oh and i was watching The NHL Networks Pre-Draft Special and saw what a horrible mistake the Habs made by taking that joke Doug Wickenheiser instead of hometown hall of famer Denis Savard.

Well is good to be back posting after my long laziness period but hockey is still months away and i can't take it anymore i need the ol'bloodstream filled up with that hype and adrelnaline that the hovkey season brings.

BTW good idea on starting a Draft thread CHice ;)

GO ANGELO GO

(funny thing Sam Gagner was born the same year as me and is getting drafted, suck to know that u could've been there either this year or next year :( )

I still would much rather we pick up a big D. Mike Boone recommended Petrecki, who's ranked 12th I believe? And about all the Espo comments, I'm surprised. A few weeks ago, just about everyone on the board didn't want him. I'm still not sure I do.

Sounds like a deal this is the Offical HW draft thread.

Hear that, CHice? That's the sound of acceptance, if not lauding applause - JMMR is a forum heavyweight, and you just got the nod. Edit the title to read, "Official HW Draft Thread".

And put in a picture. Doesn't really matter what. My money's on those photogenic chess players from the recent world tournament, my my, those ladies are sure foxy.

Chess Chicks

Fine, or the Habs logo.

Is this draft class really that good enough that we should take a chance on 2 guys in the 1st round or should we trade one or both of those picks for immediate help?

I think that we've done great in the last couple of years with drafting young guys who can help us in the near future but now it might be time to strenghten our team with trading some picks.

RDS said soemthing about the Bruins pick being an option for the Glorieux... gonna look into what pick is that... btw does the draft start at 19hrs Eastern time?

RDS said soemthing about the Bruins pick being an option for the Glorieux... gonna look into what pick is that... btw does the draft start at 19hrs Eastern time?

Yeah 7pm tonight.

I'm reading a Gazette article now. Gainey says:

That if Esposito is around at #12 we'll consider him.

If he gets a chance to trade up into the top 4 he'll jump on it but he really doubts anyone will downgrade their pick.

He will not trade the picks for immediate help as his philosophy is building through the draft.

We have a player targeted at #12 and a player targeted at #22. We may trade up or down a couple of spots with #12 depending on whether we get the guy we targeted or not. An example Gainey gives is if the guy we want is taken, we trade down to #16, take the guy we targeted at #22 and then draft another player we like at 22.

Esposito says he wants to come here.

David Perron's, also of Quebec, role model model is Alex Kovalev. Don't worry though, he's a "gritty two-way forward."

With Trader Mike in Calgary, I would not be surprised if he traded Tanguay to Montreal for the #22 pick + Futures. (Bucket of pucks and a coffee)

Now to back this up, is there not a rumour that Acoin is going to Calgary for a salary dump? This means Mr. Personality will get rid of players he deems expendable and I bet Tanguay is tops because of $$$$. I am not a big fan of Tanguay so this will probably happen. I will give it a (j4) since that useless Eckland guy uses the same lettering for his stupid guesses...

In all reality I bet Gainey has the #12 and #22 pick all ready to go in his mind and maybe will surprise us. :rolleyes:

(NO MORE GOALIES)

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

The most realistic scenarios I have heard so far from all this bullshit circulating on various websites are as such:

1. Habs trade up in today's draft in order to secure the player of their choice.
  2. Habs dump Kovalev to Washington to free up more Cap space

Let's set things clear. Montreal has been lacking the ability to move up substantially in the draft over the past 2 or 3 decades. Even if they wanted to move up in previous years, they would have to mortgage their future (which they didn't even have) in order to snatch a prime (top 3) prospect. This year things are different. Why you ask? Well..it's quite simple.

The 1st overall Consensus pick up to Christmas was Angelo Esposito. Anyone you would have asked last summer would have said straight out that he would be going 1st overall. His drop off in performance this year however had almost wiped him off the map. This fact, along with the NHL's inabilty to come to an agreement with the Russian Hockey Federation concering the Transfer System, has blown this years draft wide open. Had Esposito continued producing at the same pace as he did last year and had the NHL and Russia agreed to a Transfer System, thus giving the teams the security they need in order to bring Cherepanov to North America, these two would have been 1st and 2nd overall. This isn't the case however, and that's why things get interesting for Montreal.

As we all know, Risk reduces Value. The Habs scouting system, Timmens and Gaultier in particular, have carte blanche from Bob Gainey. In my view, the organization's strength is being able to properly assess Risk vs Reward. Many have stated that this year is a particularly weak draft. I DON'T BUY THAT! And I don't think the Habs buy that either. Montreal is in the process of playing a very intruiging game of chess. The moves leading up to the draft have been throughly thought out. I strongly believe that they will indeed move up in order to draft the player they believe will be a Superstar; and the reason is, cause this year it will cost them less than what it would any other year.

Let's be realistic. Montreal will not be placed this low in the draft order for the next couple of years. The reason is quite simple; the team is maturing, the players are gaining experiences and obtaining character. Management has been weeding out the players which did not buy into the Team First Mentality. Our prospect cupboard is almost replenished. The proof is in the pudding - Look at the Bulldogs and the young core of players currently in Mtl. Good young kids, with the proper attitude, the proper mentality and the heart, drive and the conviction needed to bring this team to glory.

This is Montreal's last chance to draft from such a high position (12th). Hence this might be the last chance to try and grab the elusive "potential superstar center" prospect which is missing from our stock of young talent. Gainey knows this, Timmens knows this, Gaultier knows this.

Now the rumor which surfaced yesterday concerning Washighton's potential interest in Kovalev is indeed intruiging. We all know that as good as Kovalev is, and as much as we love him, he does not fit into this team. Up to 2 weeks ago, it seemed impossible for Montreal to be able to get rid of Kovalev, let alone Samsonov. Well, Samsonov is gone, and Kovalev might finally find a suitor.

What has suddenly changed? Two things:

• Increase in the Cap to 50+ million
  • The overpriced signings of Hartnell and Timonen by Philadelphia

All of a sudden, Samsonov's and Kovalev's contracts aren't considered as expensive as they were originally made out to be. IF Montreal is willing to dump them off without taking on the equivalent salary, then I think they will. In Samsonov's case, it is obvious that we had to take something off Chicago's hands, but honnestly, did anyone of you expect Samsonov to garner any interest from NHL teams after he cleared waivers last year? Didn't think so.

Kovalev, is not as bad as a case as Samsonov was. He still produces, and a team like Washington, who is well below the cap might want to provide Semin and Ovechkin with a Russian Superstar/Fatherfigure. In my opinion, if they want him, they can have him and Gainey will not bat an eyelash in pulling this one off.

I honnestly do not think Marleau is coming to Montreal. Why? First and foremost cause this rumor has been circulating for well over a week now. That is a strong deterant in itself cause we all know how secretive Gainey is. Secondly, because Marleau would cost us prospects. Gainey has proven time and time again that he DOES NOT WANT TO SHED YOUNG PROMISING PLAYERS for a quick fix. Now I know Marleau is only 27, but he will be a UFA next summer, and with all due respect, I don't think he's the player who will bring Montreal to the next level. The only possible scenario I see for Marleau coming to Mtl is IF we can't secure a higher position in the draft in order to pick the player we want, and providing that when our turn comes, we package both 1st rd picks to San Jose for Patrick. In that case, I would not mind.

All in all, I think that Gainey has been very successful this off-season. IF he can move up in the draft, and IF he can dump/trade Kovalev, I will be very happy because we will have valuable CAP space in order to sign a top-notch UFA and we will have drafted the player whom our 1st class scouting dept. truly believes will lead the Habs through the next decade.

Thanks for bearing with me. Please let me know what you guys and gals think.

Is it obvious that I'm excited for the Draft??? Starts Saturday morning at 2am Local Time for me.... :blink:

GO HABS GO From Athens, GREECE

Helmet Head, the whole "Gainey is too sneaky for leaks" thing is overrated. Theodore for Aebischer was the biggest rumour of the year and it winded up being true. We were rumoured to be getting Niinimaa a long time before we got him. Samsonov to Chicago. Zednik to Washington. There will always be leaks and I'm 99% sure that Gainey has atleast tried to get Marleau. Whether he succeeds will be up to Wilson.

Great article: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070622...1006/CPSPORTS01

Says the Habs have identified one guy who is supposedly way above everyone else; and they're willing to trade both their picks to move up.

Hmmmm, makes you wonder doesnt it? I'm thinking either Cherepanov or Voracek. Don't see anyone else who could be considered "above everyone else" (The former for his scoring instinct, the latter for his NHL-readiness) and still be available after the top 3... But Cherepanov is another Kovalev-type so I'd lean more toward Voracek as the "rare pearl" the article talks about.

Great article: http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070622...1006/CPSPORTS01

Says the Habs have identified one guy who is supposedly way above everyone else; and they're willing to trade both their picks to move up.

Hmmmm, makes you wonder doesnt it? I'm thinking either Cherepanov or Voracek. Don't see anyone else who could be considered "above everyone else" (The former for his scoring instinct, the latter for his NHL-readiness) and still be available after the top 3... But Cherepanov is another Kovalev-type so I'd lean more toward Voracek as the "rare pearl" the article talks about.

from what I heard, Voracek is the most NHL ready player in this draft !!

The habs should be very interested in David Perron!!.....Have anyone seen this guy play?.....He has scary potential.....He has a great shot and excellent hands.....Great two-way player!

The habs should be very interested in David Perron!!.....Have anyone seen this guy play?.....He has scary potential.....He has a great shot and excellent hands.....Great two-way player!

Yup, I second your opinion. Stop this insane addiction with russian players. As much as Like them, we do need to mix up the squad with someone from say from CANADA once in a while :rolleyes:

I know, I know BestPlayer Available arrggggg.....

Go Habs!

Edited by InsaneAVSfan

he does have great skill, but he was passed over in the last draft....not even the last pick from some team. Is he a flash in the pan?

Does anyone know if there will be Live Streaming done from TSN?

I believe there is.