Tony Salmelainen on waivers

Tony

Is the ice in Hamilton that bad? I don't really understand this move. I know, big ice surface and all, but it seems unneccesary. Do they really think he'll come back a year later NHL ready?

I don't get it either. Europeans are good skater because the focus on skating a lot more in juniors and less on the physical play.

It seems that Salmelainen was put on waivers, likely for the his eventual release. The Habs must have talked to him about playing for them, either at the NHL or AHL. Perhaps his plans were to return to Finland anyways.

So, the Samsonov trade ends up being a simple salary dump. The positive thing about it, is that the Habs will not have to deal with his negative influence on the team. The negative part is that he's likely to have a good season in Chicago, due to his possible first line ice time and the fact that his play this season will have a huge influence on his next contract. If he plays outstandingly well, then maybe Chicago will extend his contract, re-sign him or he'll become a UFA with a bigger contract. However, if his play is bad or just average, then it's very likely he will become a UFA, not get a sniff from another NHL team, and eventually move back to Russia to star in the RSL.

It seems that Salmelainen was put on waivers, likely for the his eventual release. The Habs must have talked to him about playing for them, either at the NHL or AHL. Perhaps his plans were to return to Finland anyways.

So, the Samsonov trade ends up being a simple salary dump. The positive thing about it, is that the Habs will not have to deal with his negative influence on the team. The negative part is that he's likely to have a good season in Chicago, due to his possible first line ice time and the fact that his play this season will have a huge influence on his next contract. If he plays outstandingly well, then maybe Chicago will extend his contract, re-sign him or he'll become a UFA with a bigger contract. However, if his play is bad or just average, then it's very likely he will become a UFA, not get a sniff from another NHL team, and eventually move back to Russia to star in the RSL.

Yeah I'm dissapointed in the salmelainen outcome... I hope he does wanna play somewhere on his own account (at the least) a second buyout leaves us pretty screwed if were forced to pick up more iffy Yashin, Samsonov like players

Yeah I'm dissapointed in the salmelainen outcome... I hope he does wanna play somewhere on his own account (at the least) a second buyout leaves us pretty screwed if were forced to pick up more iffy Yashin, Samsonov like players

Gainey will not make another UFA mistake.

I would never say never. Everyone was pretty confident in Samsonov ... it is hard to predict for certain ho a player will react to a given situation. He may try to limit the possibility making another UFA decision by learning from his mistake, but that is all you can do. Team chemistry is a delicate balance.

He signed Turgeon & Audette to big time deals in Dallas in 2001. He's perfectly capable of making another mistake, as he showed with Samsonov.

He signed Turgeon & Audette to big time deals in Dallas in 2001. He's perfectly capable of making another mistake, as he showed with Samsonov.

Yeah, I have never seen Gainey's strength to be in the UFA markets...jmho.

Can someone please tell me if it was chepper to buy out Sammy on his own or buy out the two player we got for him???

If my math is correct (and I still don't know what "X" is :blink: ) it would have been cheeper to buy out Sammy's contract on it's own

Yeah, I have never seen Gainey's strength to be in the UFA markets...jmho.

Have to agree, he tends to overpay the wrong guys. But we'll see, maybe he can break the pattern this offseason.

Can someone please tell me if it was chepper to buy out Sammy on his own or buy out the two player we got for him???

If my math is correct (and I still don't know what "X" is :blink: ) it would have been cheeper to buy out Sammy's contract on it's own

Combined, Salmalienen & Cullimore made around $2.6m. Sammy made $3.525m. So, they saved money by doing this.

Combined, Salmalienen & Cullimore made around $2.6m. Sammy made $3.525m. So, they saved money by doing this.

Thanks Saskhab, as I sayed I still don't know what "X" is and math and I was only budddys when I could only count to 10 :huh:

Edited by ehjay

Salmalienen probably will not be bought out, if he wants to go to Finland no need to buy out if we send him to ahl no need to buy out. Yes sammy was a complete dud and maybe he will do better in Chicago (if they kiss his ass enough) And this was simply a salary dump buying out Cullimore instead of sammy. As to the critics who tie Bobs signing of a player based on his past performance to the what the player does after the signing, how many times have we seen players do this. They get the big contract and they suck. It would be nice if Bob had a better crystal ball and could predict how a player will do the next year but it is all up to the player he has to play. Bob gives them the opportunity it is up to them to use it. The good thing is he finds a way to salvage the situation.