Booing the Anthem

Fanpuck33_

I don't like that there were Montreal fans booing the US anthem, but I do understand they were a minority. But this isn't the first time this has happened. Last time Jean Beliveu had to address the fans. I think booing anyone's anthem is disrespectful.

Anyways, what is silly is that people think Boston fans are so classy for cheering the Canadian Anthem. The only reason they did that was to be a-holes. It was not an act of class, there were just trying to show up Habs fans.

It was classless, but it was just a minority of the fans who boo'ed it.

But... Is their really a need to play the National Anthems anymore anyways? Really? Alot of the players are neither Canadian or American... Whats the point?

If I remember correctly the anthems began being played regularly after one of the world wars (or during it) ...

Times change, do the anthems still need to be played?

People want to create a story with this. Fans boo the other team, not the anthem, it's not a political topic imo.

For me it's not a big deal, even if i'm an american myself.

I'd prefer that kind of thing to not happen. I agree that's not very classy.. but still, what do you want to expect from a crazy crowd?? We want the other team to be kicked out.. the US anthem is a 2 minutes for the Bruins team.. they show bruins players on TV and on the big screen.. and this is when the crowd try to intimidate them.. That's a sport event, I understand it. Still, would I boo the anthem? No

Playing the anthems is tradition, and I am all about tradition. (The reason I like the Habs, Cincinnati Reds, Notre Dame football, etc.) Although, this is a tradition I have never really understood.

the US anthem is a 2 minutes for the Bruins team.. they show bruins players on TV and on the big screen.. and this is when the crowd try to intimidate them.. That's a sport event, I understand it.

Since I have never been to a hockey game in Montreal, I was unaware that they show and almost promote the other team, in this case the Bruins. This brings new light to my opinion on this. At games that I have been to, during the anthems they normally just put the singer on the big screen and pan both teams and the flags. As I look back, I can't remember how they worked it when the Habs came to play the Blue Jackets. I still think it's a bad time to boo, but now I think I can understand why people do it. I narrow-mindedly assumed it was simple anti-Americanism. Thanks for your insight sakiqc.

Originally posted by Fanpuck33

the US anthem is a 2 minutes for the Bruins team.. they show bruins players on TV and on the big screen.. and this is when the crowd try to intimidate them.. That's a sport event, I understand it.

Since I have never been to a hockey game in Montreal, I was unaware that they show and almost promote the other team, in this case the Bruins. This brings new light to my opinion on this. At games that I have been to, during the anthems they normally just put the singer on the big screen and pan both teams and the flags. As I look back, I can't remember how they worked it when the Habs came to play the Blue Jackets. I still think it's a bad time to boo, but now I think I can understand why people do it. I narrow-mindedly assumed it was simple anti-Americanism. Thanks for your insight sakiqc.

They actually dont show Bruins players (or opposing team players) on the big screen during the American anthem, not sure what Matt's talking about. What they do show is usually the American flag, or some American landmarks (like golden gate bridge, etc) if I remember correctly. A few times after boo'ing incidents they've just left Beliveau's face on the big screen.

Haha, oh well. It's not like it hasn't happened before. I'm sure there are Americans who do worse to Canada. Main point I was going for is that I don't think the media has it right. They praise the Boston fans for cheering, while I think they did it simply to piss of Habs fans.

first off, I dont know why the fans didn't listen to jean beliveau's requests.

Anyways, what is silly is that people think Boston fans are so classy for cheering the Canadian Anthem. The only reason they did that was to be a-holes. It was not an act of class, there were just trying to show up Habs fans.

That's what I've been saying all along. from there view, they know that some people in the bell centre were booing their anthem, so to make us habs fans look bad, all they had to do was cheer our anthem for payback. Now what they've done is gotten all of our sporting networks with stupid headlines and complaints about us not only diving, but booing and disrespecting america. Towards the end of the game, the bruins fans even chanted "USA! USA! USA!" which i thought was kinda like saying "we didnt mean it" or something like that.

My very last point is again something that makes me sick. On TSN they said "well the american anthem was booed again by french people" or something like that. That is bullshit......Not everyone in that stadium is french! No, I'm not french, but that is sickening to just blame it on people who speak it. I'm pretty outraged at this point.

Originally posted by habsfan88

My very last point is again something that makes me sick.  On TSN they said "well the american anthem was booed again by french people" or something like that.  That is bullshit......Not everyone in that stadium is french!  No, I'm not french, but that is sickening to just blame it on people who speak it.  I'm pretty outraged at this point.

I dont think TSN would ever say that (in those words) , or else they'd be fined and some people would be fired, had they said that their would be a HUGE uproar in the Quebec media..... maybe TSN implied it, but they would never say that.

I can't remember the exact words, but it WAS seriously something along the lines of that. Glenn Healy said it i remember that, and he said something like the anthem was booed by the french......He said something like that.

No, but suggesting otherwise will really get you reprimanded by patriotic freaks.

I don't like that there were Montreal fans booing the US anthem, but I do understand they were a minority. But this isn't the first time this has happened. Last time Jean Beliveu had to address the fans. I think booing anyone's anthem is disrespectful.  

So what? The US has boo'd the Canadian anthem. The Mexicans chanted "Osama" after beating the US soccer team. Whenever the US does something dumb like that, the media makes nothing out of it. Whenever some other Country does, it's the end of the World.

[Edited on 2004/4/19 by Ribeiro]

True.....but oh well.....I hope this whole "anthem thing" will be done, now that the habs have ended the series. I know we are playing TB, and they're american, but I think all of this booing business will be over with, and everyone will hopefully forget it.

Well Tampa has 2 americans on their roster. Makes them a good ole USA team lol. I say if it gives the americans something to be proud of let them have their little moment. They are getting their butts kicked in Iraq, are hated by a large percentage of the world and have a population which is armed to the teeth and need only a political snafu such as the start of another losing war (oops they already started that) to lead them to an eventual government overthrow and anarchy. As Canadians we can sit back and laugh at the thought of the white house burning the last time we sent our troops down there. (led by an alcoholic may I add). Meanwhile, we still have over 65% of the players in the nhl being from Canada and they are down there raping them for mega US dollars. I can gaurantee that whoever wins the cup the team will be mostly Canadians and maybe a yank or 2. There will also be more europeans then Americans on the winning team. USA USA USA ??? lmao

:can::can::can:

as for booing the nation anthem, who really cares, are the Americans that insecure. My kids are in elementary school and if other kids laugh at them or boo them etc. I expect them to be the bigger person and walk away, not run to the teachers in a huff. Grow up America