Canadiens sign Hamrlik, Smolinski & Kostopoulos

No well Im not referring to anyone in particular, Im just saying that he is offering long term deals in general just not enough in this crazed marketplace.

Frankly he should have avoided Briere altogether, it was a ridiculous bid

• Replies 538
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

No well Im not referring to anyone in particular, Im just saying that he is offering long term deals in general just not enough in this crazed marketplace.

Frankly he should have avoided Briere altogether, it was a ridiculous bid

The deal he offered Briere was chancy but reasonable.

But imagine being locked into Koivu's existing no trade clause PLUS eight years of indentured servitude to briere?? Ridiculous.

Bob makes good offers (Arnott, Elias, Briere, Shanahan) - but he shies away when a deal starts to look stupid in the long run. The question with Bob is whether his innate conservatism is proving to be his Achillies' Heel. Too soon to say, but it's a valid question - e.g., that Arnott contract doesn't look quite as bad now.

Does anyone else regret that Schneider didn't return to the Habs? I think a 2-year deal for him would have been a great connection to the last Cup, helped our D right now, and offered major veteran leadership to the youngsters coming up. Oh, well.

Guess what folks? Those 6, 7 and 8 year deals are gonna be more and more prevalent, because it will mean a lower cap hit. May not see many DiPietro deals, but you will see the long, long deals.

But 8 years with the no movement clause is insane - unless they know the cap will hit 80 mil in the next few years.

Yah, it's the no movement thing. I have no real problem with the length. In fact, as a fan, it gives you a player to really invest yourself in, rather than a bunch of random mercenaries.

The " New NHL ".

Who knows where this league will be 3, 4 5 years down the road ?

Better to sign a reasonable contract short term than to lock into long term.

The NHL isn't MLB. Ryan Howard of the Phillies ? ....Long term... Big coin ? Not much of a risk.

Repeat after me..... Sign short term.

LIke I've said many times, I love the long-term deals, especially if they're frontloaded. Though a no movement clause kind of kills the purpose of frontloading it.

LIke I've said many times, I love the long-term deals, especially if they're frontloaded. Though a no movement clause kind of kills the purpose of frontloading it.

I don't understand the point of frontloading contracts. The cap hit is the same for the entire length of the contract.

according to howard berger

http://www.hockeybuzz.com/blog.php?post_id=8380

"As of 9:45 p.m. EDT tonight, a good source tells me Ryan Smyth has narrowed his list of teams to four -- Colorado, Calgary, Montreal and the Islanders. The Canadiens have the most tempting offer on the table at $39 million over six years, which means Smyth would be guaranteed to make $6.5 million in the final season of the contract at age 37. Not a bad number. But, neither Smyth nor his wife are said to be happy with playing in Montreal. Smyth reportedly told his agent, Don Meehan, that he didn't like the Maple Leafs' depth, and does not believe the Canadiens or the Islanders will be strong enough teams in the immediate future. The Islanders have a five-year, $32.5 million deal ($6.5 million/season) on the table."

oh welll surprise to surprise to hear a rumour about a player not enjoying the thought of playing in montreal hahaha... montreal needs to do some PR work... but even then the bad taste about playing in montreal may indeed linger for many more years to come.

Agreed, you think samsonov and Smyth are in close touch haha :lol:

Well, the Oilers were sending out promotional DVDs of the city...

Habs didn't hit that point yet.

BTW, you can seriously knock off Calgary from that list. Doesn't make sense long-term when the likes of Phaneuf and Kipper have to be re-signed next season.

Well, the Oilers were sending out promotional DVDs of the city...

Habs didn't hit that point yet.

BTW, you can seriously knock off Calgary from that list. Doesn't make sense long-term when the likes of Phaneuf and Kipper have to be re-signed next season.

True, I guess it's going to be a tough fight to get Smyth then if we know Colorado extended a contract to him no?

True, I guess it's going to be a tough fight to get Smyth then if we know Colorado extended a contract to him no?

Why, because Colorado is such a powerhouse? Smyth apparently doesn't want to come here because we won't be 'strong enough in the immediate future.' Did he happen to notice that the Avs have no goalie and sucked ass last season?

I don't understand the point of frontloading contracts. The cap hit is the same for the entire length of the contract.

Because at the end of the deal, when the player is 35 and not performing so well you can buy him out for cheap while erasing a big contract off the cap. Maybe I'm making a mistake but I think it would work.

This Is Sad....A majority of the big name forwards/D's gone....

And I cant think of a guy who isn't older/slower than kovalev out there who is left on the market...

Unless bob pulls a miracle out of his @$$ or something?.....Im pretty sure he drugged the Colorado GM's drink before he somehow unloaded Theodore...So I can't see anything miraculous happening.... :unsure:

Why, because Colorado is such a powerhouse? Smyth apparently doesn't want to come here because we won't be 'strong enough in the immediate future.' Did he happen to notice that the Avs have no goalie and sucked ass last season?

Haha I was just about to say that right after my post, but actually it's evident that the Habs will be coming out real strong at the start of the season (remember the future is really bright (Bulldogs Calder Cup win)) so I really dont know what Smyth is talking about there. To me it all seems like he just doesnt want to be here but kinda makes me wonder if the Habs really need him or other free-agents...

Haha I was just about to say that right after my post, but actually it's evident that the Habs will be coming out real strong at the start of the season (remember the future is really bright (Bulldogs Calder Cup win)) so I really dont know what Smyth is talking about there. To me it all seems like he just doesnt want to be here but kinda makes me wonder if the Habs really need him or other free-agents...

Ummm did you pay attention to last season? You think this year will be any better?

I'm disappointed that we haven't blostered our D. But I believe that brad Stuart and Tom preissing are still around, not to mention Souray and probably a few others. Nylander is still available up front, as is Shanahan...the Habs still have options and, importantly, they are options that won't involve decimating future salary OR flexibility. I'm sure Gainey is not crying in his beer just yet.

But I also question the players' brains. Smyth takes LESS than we were offering to play for Colorado. Why? Taxes aside, presumably it's because the Avs still have a REPUTATION as a strong, desirable organization because they were so good for so long - despite the fact that they actually sucked ON THE ICE. Meanwhile, an organization like Montreal is hampered by a rep for sucking DESPITE the fact that Gainey has instilled excellence at every level and is deeply committed to building a winner with good young players, to say nothing of the fact that we were top-10 in the league for the first half of the season before the flu destroyed us.

If players like Briere and Souray are going to follow the money regardless of sentiment, while players like Smyth follow sentiment regardless of money, the Habs are basically up the creek. I mean, really. It's either a business or it ain't.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Well, we might as well make a damn of who's left.

Forsberg

Souray

Selanne

Shanahan

Bertuzzi

Nylander

Stuart

Sykora

Guerin

Nagy

Sutton

Vishnevsky

Preissing

Zubrus

Numminen

Handzus

Vaananen

Lang

Hamrlik

Edit: before I get other member angry, I forgot to add Garon

Maby Selanne isn't going to retire either. Shit that would be cool. I'd still like Shanny. Maby Lang, but I don't know if he would help like we want him to. One of these guys must want to play here. Shanny said he was close, last year ...can the Rags afford him now?