Bob's done

Theberge43

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070703...1006/CPSPORTS01

But as said in a press conference that he is happy of what he got yesterday and he doesn't intend to sign more players.

He also said that trading is still a possibility.

Damn ... that's it !?

For me it was a hard week end ...

Edited by Theberge43

I wonder how Koivu feels about this. Bob certainly hasn't pulled us out of the rebuilding mode.

He'd better pull the trigger on some trades.

Yup they said the same thing on RDS. And Ryder is taking gainey to arbitration, so yea..i think next season ryder is a UFA since he wont get a multi year contract.

I suspect Ryder will be traded then.

I will be amazed if Ryder is not gone by trading deadline - and possibly the end of summer. I understand Bob's reasons for not trading Souray, although I disagreed with them at the time; but there is no reason to keep an impending UFA who has proven exceedingly difficult to sign even as a RFA. So long Michael.

Although I am a little dissapointed I think that camp will be very competitive with a lot of youngsters fighting for places on this team. Things might not seem as bleak as they seem.

Dynastys are built from the ground up from inside the club.....not by bringing in a bunch of overpayed primadonas.

Edited by Habsfan24

If you listen to his press conference on RDS.ca or on Habsinsideout.com you'll see that he said he could add players that would improve the team on short-term and still leave them money to spare. I wouldn't rule out anything yet.

Yup they said the same thing on RDS. And Ryder is taking gainey to arbitration, so yea..i think next season ryder is a UFA since he wont get a multi year contract.

I am on a remote(they don't know) site as my internet connection is down for 3 days. Boy did I miss quite a bit here.

I say trade Ryders butt out of town. He is a very good player but he is a Leaf loving jerk with all this arbitration crap. Once ok but this is 3 times now? Bob is done as it seems nobody wants to pay the high Quebec taxes. I bet once Montreal's youth hits the big club and they are better, the free agents will be back wanting in. It all has to do with WINNING, and the Habs will get there.

Although I am a little dissapointed I think that camp will be very competitive with a lot of youngsters fighting for places on this team. Things might not seem as bleak as they seem.

Dynastys are built from the ground up from inside the club.....not by bringing in a bunch of overpayed primadonas.

Dynasties are extinct. In today's pro sports landscape, competitive clubs are built being strong in all 3 facets... drafting, trades, and free agency.

Dynasties are extinct. In today's pro sports landscape, competitive clubs are built being strong in all 3 facets... drafting, trades, and free agency.

True, but NBA's Spurs have made teh finals 4 out of last 8 years, and won all 4. NFL PAtriots are close but not a Dynasty. MLB Yankees and Bosox think they can be Dynasties by purchasing big names, not going to happen. Hockey, I will be very surprised to see the Quackers win it all again if they lose their two big stars.

A 'dynasty' by today's standards is a team like the Devils and Wings, or the Avs before the lockout - teams that are always in the upper echelons and are considered Cup contenders year after year. The Habs used to be the same way, between 1986 and 1995: a very good team, not a great one, but always dangerous and snatching multiple Cups and trips to the Finals. The goal is to get back in that category. Once you are, you're dealing from strength: the UFAs want to play for you, and the trades come a-calling.

I kind of don't like that aspect. If a team does well one season, and the stars who got them there become free agents the next summer, chances are you won't get them all back. It sucks for the fans. It's always been like that, but never like this.

edit - this was to avsfan

Edited by xXx..CK..xXx

How come Ryder is a UFA next summer?

I thought you needed 7 years of NHL service to become a UFA

Is it 7 years of NHL or 25 years of age?

How come Ryder is a UFA next summer?

I thought you needed 7 years of NHL service to become a UFA

Is it 7 years of NHL or 25 years of age?

It's 27, or 7 years in the NHL. So if you came in the league at age 18, you could be a UFA at 25. Latendresse, who came in at 19, will be UFA eligible when the year he turns 26. But for most players, 27 is the age they will become UFA eligible.

27 kicks in next year or the year after. It was 28 this year, I think.

Fighting for 8th place again I guess.

*sigh*

The joys of being a Habs fan.

Only too true unfortunately.

I hope he's not done, but I wasn't particularly enthused with what he said in his press conference. He said he's only interested in tinkering with the current roster. :puke:

Who knows...but if we start the season with our current roster, you're right it's just more of the same.

It's 27, or 7 years in the NHL. So if you came in the league at age 18, you could be a UFA at 25. Latendresse, who came in at 19, will be UFA eligible when the year he turns 26. But for most players, 27 is the age they will become UFA eligible.

27 kicks in next year or the year after. It was 28 this year, I think.

I would deal him

I have never been a big fan.

Fighting for 8th place again I guess.

*sigh*

The joys of being a Habs fan.

Only too true unfortunately.

I hope he's not done, but I wasn't particularly enthused with what he said in his press conference. He said he's only interested in tinkering with the current roster. :puke:

Who knows...but if we start the season with our current roster, you're right it's just more of the same.

It's a harsh reality. Until the season starts, though, I'm gonna keep hoping that somebody from within our team breaks out this year. I'm looking at Higgins, Kostystin. or Lats to have a breakout season. And let's not forget, Price has the potential to crack the lineup this year and become a Luongo.

One more move Gainey, cmon gather up your balls and get us one big name to lead the charge! If the damn leafs can get an impressive first line we better keep up.

We might have given Hamrlik 5.5million instead of D.Markov but if Gainey can get us Marleau without hurting the farm too bad we will be laughing and it will make up for all the bad things he's done.

ONE MORE MOVE DAMN YOU!