Plekanec signs for 2 years

olematelot

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Canadiens also signed defenceman Mathieu Biron and free agent defenceman Jamie Rivers, forward Cory Urquhart and free agent defenceman Marvin Degon to one-year contracts (2007-08).

I think Plex will get about the same as Higgins here....we'll see.

Edited by Habitforming

The Canadiens also signed defenceman Mathieu Biron and free agent defenceman Jamie Rivers, forward Cory Urquhart and free agent defenceman Marvin Degon to one-year contracts (2007-08).

He'll make less than Higgins. He's had 1 20 goal season as opposed to two.

2 years/4.25 million.

2 years/4.25 million.

If that's confirmed then that's strange. Maybe it was based on his +/-.

So he must be making something like 1.725 this year and 2.3 next year.

I really think there is a trade coming...why sign 3 d-men when there are already 7 NHL ready d-men signed...albeit that 3 of them aren't high quality but we just signed 2 more so now we have 5 guys who are basically the equivalent of 7th defenceman.

Or were these signings all 2 way, or minor league, deals?

I really think there is a trade coming...why sign 3 d-men when there are already 7 NHL ready d-men signed...albeit that 3 of them aren't high quality but we just signed 2 more so now we have 5 guys who are basically the equivalent of 7th defenceman.

Or were these signings all 2 way, or minor league, deals?

They'd be minor league deals. No way any of them would get one way contracts from anyone. i'm assuming Urquhart & Biron just accepted their qualifying offers... maybe Biron got a significant raise on his AHL deal.

I highly doubt Plekanec really got more than both Higgins and Komisarek. He's done nothing to earn any more than either of them, let alone this much more. I'll wait to see an official number before believing he signed for more than 2 million.

I highly doubt Plekanec really got more than both Higgins and Komisarek. He's done nothing to earn any more than either of them, let alone this much more. I'll wait to see an official number before believing he signed for more than 2 million.

Dont compare his deal with Komis or Higgins but with all the other signed deals this summer and suddenly 2M isnt that much.

Didnt Smolinski get 2M? And I rather have Pleks than him.

Dont compare his deal with Komis or Higgins but with all the other signed deals this summer and suddenly 2M isnt that much.

Didnt Smolinski get 2M? And I rather have Pleks than him.

Higgins and Komi were both signed this summer... Plus Smolinski got more than he's really worth since he was a UFA, whereas Higs, Komi, and Plex are all RFAs.

Big difference between a UFA deal and an RFA deal...one has A LOT more leverage then the other.

You have to compare Pleks to Higgins, Komi, and other RFA's.

Big difference between a UFA deal and an RFA deal...one has A LOT more leverage then the other.

Yep - the conclusion that I've come to is that Komisarek and especially Higgins may have taken pay cuts?

Yep - the conclusion that I've come to is that Komisarek and especially Higgins may have taken pay cuts?

Both guys received raises over last year. I think the amount of Pleks contract has a lot to do with the way the market has changed since they signed.

Both guys received raises over last year. I think the amount of Pleks contract has a lot to do with the way the market has changed since they signed.

Yeah, I used the wrong word. I meant they accepted discounts and took less than they were actually worth.

Yeah, I used the wrong word. I meant they accepted discounts and took less than they were actually worth.

I can see why Pleks got more, he achieved career highs and led the team in +/- last season. I think that this guy is only going to get better and put up even greater numbers this season.

Do we actually have a source for the salary?

No way should Plex earn more than Higgins and Komi. You have to have more than 1 year of experience to get over 2 million. 1.3 is what I would pay the guy.

Only way Gainey would pay that much to Plex is if he has a deal to trade him.

Hmm, well I am glad to have Plekanec back, but if the rumored salary is correct and he is getting paid more than Komi & Higgs than its a stupid signing, unless he is about to be traded.

Komi or Higgs > Pleks

So if Pleks is getting paid more, other players will in turn want more, and more and more cap space gets eaten up. RFA's need to make close to nothing, and like stated the Habs signed a UFA for 2 mil. Absolutely no reason to pay a RFA that much, unless they are an elite player. Pleks keeps getting better, but he's not an elite player like Crosby, Staal etc yet, nor will he probably never get to their level.

Remember Bobs generous contract to Ribs last year? I bet this is that x2! :P Bob most likely has no intention of paying Pleks that contract. It'll only cause big problems amongst the the team when Pleks clearly isnt worth more than Komi or Higgs.

Bye Bye Pleks!! it was nice having ya will it lasted. :clap: