Plekanec signs for 2 years

olematelot

Only way Gainey would pay that much to Plex is if he has a deal to trade him.

I don't think he'd risk signing him unless the deal was finalized. What happens if he signs Plex to a contract he doesn't care for and then the trade falls through?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There is no way he's getting more money than Higgins and specially Komi. Gainey isn't that dumb to disrespect Higgins and Komi at this level.

Only way Gainey would pay that much to Plex is if he has a deal to trade him.

I don't think he'd risk signing him unless the deal was finalized. What happens if he signs Plex to a contract he doesn't care for and then the trade falls through?

Concern for the difference between the contracts awarded to Higgins and Komisarek when compared to Plekenak's recent contract has to be tempered with the fact contracts awarded to recent UFA has set a new market floor. Not to worry both Higgins and Komisarek will received significant raises in their next contract as long as they continue to progress.

I have no problem paying Plex that kind of money, when our team was half dead showing zero heart he was the only one to show up and drag this squad. His phenomenal play gave us a shot at the playoffs. He's only going to get better next season. Trading him would be idiotic to say the least.

Trading him would be idiotic to say the least.

That depends on the return. Trading Higgins and Komisarek would be idiotic. I would gladly package Ryder and Plex for a top line player.

The Canadiens also signed defenceman Mathieu Biron and free agent defenceman Jamie Rivers, forward Cory Urquhart and free agent defenceman Marvin Degon to one-year contracts (2007-08).

I think Plex will get about the same as Higgins here....we'll see.

I really think there is a trade coming...why sign 3 d-men when there are already 7 NHL ready d-men signed...albeit that 3 of them aren't high quality but we just signed 2 more so now we have 5 guys who are basically the equivalent of 7th defenceman.

Or were these signings all 2 way, or minor league, deals?

exactly :clap:

Big difference between a UFA deal and an RFA deal...one has A LOT more leverage then the other.

You have to compare Pleks to Higgins, Komi, and other RFA's.

Yep - the conclusion that I've come to is that Komisarek and especially Higgins may have taken pay cuts?

Didnt Plek get a major paycut wheh he agreed for one more year at 450k? if anything Komi and Higgins should see the increase in pay to make up for the Paycut Plek agreed to when he signed that minimal deal and paid and played for it overtime!

Still I don't discount a trade decision may be involved.. specially when we want to protect Komi and higgins by shifting the attention of other GM's to Plek's seemignly higher worth to the Habs... what better way to do that than having plek gain more than the latter two.

Pleks gets 1.4 this season and 1.8 the next, according to RDS.

That's fair value if you ask me. :clap:

hehehe u beat me to it :)

yeah shite!!!

Thats Optimal!!!

only 100K less than Higgins and Komisarek per season.

This deal makes much more sense.

That sounds more like it ;)

That keeps him slightly below Higgins and Komisarek both years. I am also glad all these guys signed 2 year contracts. Not like Ryder who like to play tough in negotiations.

glad all these guys signed 2 year contracts. Not like Ryder who like to play tough in negotiations.

I'm not. I think kinda sux0rs, depending on how it works out in the long term. These guys could all turn into elite players over the next 2 seasons, and then they will command large $ elite player contracts in just 2 years.

I think it'd be better to lock some of these guys in long term now when their true worth is still unknown. Yes, it could backfire, but its more than likely going to pay off. Higgs and Komi arent going to be slowing down soon, and Pleks has just started to get going. The level any of them get to is still unknown, but they havent plateaued yet.

If you wait to sign them long term, there is a good chance you will loose them as soon as they become UFA's because you simply cant match other teams offers.

I'd have prefered to see Bob do a crazy Islies type contract with Higgs & Komi 30-35 mil over 10 yrs now when they are still young and foolish. :lol:

Edited by Sir_Boagalott

only 100K less than Higgins and Komisarek per season.

This deal makes much more sense.

so I guess we can all stop freaking out about the insult to Komi and Higgins now :rolleyes::lol:

glad all these guys signed 2 year contracts. Not like Ryder who like to play tough in negotiations.

I'm not. I think kinda sux0rs, depending on how it works out in the long term. These guys could all turn into elite players over the next 2 seasons, and then they will command large $ elite player contracts in just 2 years.

I think it'd be better to lock some of these guys in long term now when their true worth is still unknown. Yes, it could backfire, but its more than likely going to pay off. Higgs and Komi arent going to be slowing down soon, and Pleks has just started to get going. The level any of them get to is still unknown, but they havent plateaued yet.

If you wait to sign them long term, there is a good chance you will loose them as soon as they become UFA's because you simply cant match other teams offers.

ur argument is true but from the looks of things the recruitment factor is what will dictate the success of the short term signing strategy.. I have some experience with resource based extraction... fisheries and what determines the health and sustainability of an entreprise is the healthy recruitment. If gainey can sign these guys in a way where we dont lose them as fast as we make them then we should have any trouble

unless a major disaster strikes us... heaven forbid!

I dont know what some of you guys are talking about Pleks was arguably one of the habs' most consistent players. He worked pretty F*cking hard on offence and defence. I'm glad that he's gotten a raise I think he deserves it, he killed it down the stretch last year, one of the few habs to actually show some work ethic.

The argument that we should lock these guys into long-term deals makes no sense. Why would THEY agree to six years at 2 mil per, when they're well aware that they have the potential to become elite players commanding far more than that?

The two year deal serves the interests of both parties. Much as I love the Habs, they have to treat their players fairly. And this is.

The argument that we should lock these guys into long-term deals makes no sense. Why would THEY agree to six years at 2 mil per, when they're well aware that they have the potential to become elite players commanding far more than that?

The two year deal serves the interests of both parties. Much as I love the Habs, they have to treat their players fairly. And this is.

Obviously no fool will lock in for 6 years at 2M per. But they might lock in 5 years at 4M per.

Player gets security, team gets the player.

Both parties gamble, the team that player will outperform that contract and the player that he will not.

Just like Nathan Horton's deal. He was 3 years away from being a UFA and he took a 6 year 4M$ deal.

I would love for Bob to do that with some of our youth. You are going to get burned playing it the Ryder way.

Really like that deal, Pleky is a really good, young two-way guy.

Amen. My kind of player. A big part of this teams future.

Higgins-Plekanec-Kostitsyn

B)

Go plex go!

:hlogo:

I think this is great, Pekanec is a future mainstay in the habs line up. No player on the team is as versatile, well mabie Higgins. He played with Kovalev and Sammsonov for half a season and didn't complain once. He is a real team guy.

as far as Higgins, Komi, and Pekanec contracts all coming up in 2 years, I think that Gainey is going to split Kovalevs Moneys amoungst the three of them depending on how they perform. (Kovalev's contract will be done at that time)

I think this is great, Pekanec is a future mainstay in the habs line up. No player on the team is as versatile, well mabie Higgins. He played with Kovalev and Sammsonov for half a season and didn't complain once. He is a real team guy.

as far as Higgins, Komi, and Pekanec contracts all coming up in 2 years, I think that Gainey is going to split Kovalevs Moneys amoungst the three of them depending on how they perform. (Kovalev's contract will be done at that time)

Kovalev, the buyouts, Bouillon, Dandenault, and even Koivu (and Kostopoulos) are off the books in 2 years. And who knows, the Canadian dollar might be worth $1.10 US and the cap has hit $60m. Of course, if the CAN dollar is worth more than the US dollar, there's a ton of other issues that come up, mainly that the players in Canada are actually earning less by playing in Canada.

Oh yeah... plus Perezhogin comes back as a star from the RSL in 2 years. ^_^