Habs sign Thomas Beauregard

kayc906

there is the link, french only, sorry. http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/232280.html

Beauregard have finished his junior years with Acadie-Bathurst. He finished the year with 71 goals 53 assists 124 points in 69 games.

Here are his stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...pid%5B%5D=70563

Pretty good pick up by Gainey.. Our most talented forward in Hamilton next year!

there is the link, french only, sorry. http://www.rds.ca/canadien/chroniques/232280.html

Beauregard have finished his junior years with Acadie-Bathurst. He finished the year with 71 goals 53 assists 124 points in 69 games.

Here are his stats: http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdispla...pid%5B%5D=70563

Pretty good pick up by Gainey.. Our most talented forward in Hamilton next year!

Another right handed shot, someone who can put the puck in the net, and.. he's from Québec.

Good signing. Mr Gainey will get some good points in the french media ;)

Go :hlogo: go!

Hamilton Bulldogs - 2007 Calder Cup Champions

Wouldn't say that he's our most talented in Hamilton next year ... he was a pretty good scorer in the Q but he still has to prove it in the pro's too.

Grabo for e.g. is still way more talented in my eyes.

He never got drafted?

Ok someone needs to do some research on this kid. How did everyone miss him in the draft? How did the Habs pick him up without any other jumping on him? From first impressions; he looks like a steal. Where were the scouts on this kid? Was he even rated?

anyone ?

Edited by Chips

He never got drafted?

Ok someone needs to do some research on this kid. How did everyone miss him in the draft? How did the Habs pick him up without any other jumping on him? From first impressions; he looks like a steal. Where were the scouts on this kid? Was he even rated?

anyone ?

Just typical that some high scorers in the Q go undrafted or gets drafted really late.

Besides, Beauregard is 21 yrs old and just 5-11 182 lbs. On his draft year (when he was 17-18) he had a very ordinary season with 46 pts in 68 games and the following season he only played 5 games.

BTW, Beauregard's the first QMJHL player to score over 70 goals since Gamache's 74 goals in 00-01. Gamache adapted very well to the AHL but never could find a niche in the NHL. Wonder how Beauregard handles the jump to the pros.

Maybe Dann Linn can tell us where Beauregard would fit in Hamilton. Seems that with Urqhart re-signing, Aubin ready to have a regular spot, Kostitsyn making the jump from the OHL and Russel coming on board there's not that much place left on the AHL roster.

Ok I just found this link to a great article on our newest kid on the block..

The daily news in halifax had this article. they polled all gm's and staff in the league to rate players, but the only catch was that they could not rate their own players.

http://www.hfxnews.ca/index.cfm?sid=14712&sc=92

some snippets from the article...

"BEST OVER-AGE PLAYER: Thomas Beauregard (Bathurst), five votes - Beauregard missed most of his NHL draft year because of injuries, but with 70 goals in 62 games, he'll likely land an NHL contract. "He's a pure goal scorer," one coach said. Others: David Laliberte (1), Andrew MacDonald (1)."

this explains why he was missed by the draft in his year...

Here are more words of praise...

"BEST PLAYER: Tie, Mathieu Perreault (Bathurst) and Thomas Beauregard (Bathurst), three votes - The Q is divided on who is the better player, but Perreault, the playmaker, and Beauregard, the trigger man, form a devastating line. They're the highest-scoring duo in the Q, with 106 goals and 125 assists for 230 points in just 64 games. Other: Withheld."

"MOST DANGEROUS IN GOAL AREA: Thomas Beauregard (Bathurst), four votes - The five-foot-11 winger has already cracked the 70-goal plateau and has converted on an impressive 19.3 per cent of his league-leading 363 shots on goal. Others: Cam Fergus (2), Matt Marquardt (1)."

"MOST DANGEROUS ON POWER PLAY: Thomas Beauregard (Bathurst), five votes - Beauregard is the centrepiece of the league's best power play, which operates at better than 26 per cent. He leads the division with 26 power-play goals and has an uncanny knack for finding open ice in scoring areas. Others: Cam Fergus (1), Mathieu Perreault (1)."

FASTEST SKATER: Mario Kempe (St. John's), three votes - The rookie winger from Kramfors, Sweden, moves at warp speed and has 21 goals in 55 games. Others: Martin Latal (2), Paul McIlveen (1), Thomas Beauregard (1).

BEST PLAYMAKER: Mathieu Perreault (Bathurst), five votes - The Washington Capitals draft choice (177th overall in 2006) has 76 assists in 61 games. His slick passes have helped Q goal-scoring king Thomas Beauregard net 70 goals. "He'd make any player score goals," one GM said. Others: Withheld.

BEST SHOT: Chad Denny (Lewiston), five votes - The six-foot-two, 210-pound Atlanta Thrashers draft pick is feared around the Q because of his rocket-launcher of a shot. Others: Thomas Beauregard (1), Andrew MacDonald (1).

Thats not bad for a late bloomer! Looks like the habs have got lucky with this pick; could turn into a gem of a signing.

GO HABS GO!

Watched a few clips of him on YouTube. Reminds me a little of Martin St-Louis without the extra gears. Wonder how that'll translate in the pros.

The best thing about Beauregard is that Real Paiement taught him how to play defence. He came in as a rookie as a one-dimensional player, but boy could he score at 16. Paiement, a defence first coach, spent the first two seasons teaching him the importance of being a solid two-way player.

Despite his seemingly low offensive numbers at 17, he was on a last place team and actually lead the club in scoring, all the while playing Paiement's defence first system.

He should have had a break outseason at 18, but five games in blew out his knee and didn't play again that year. He had lead the QMJHL in pre-season scoring and had gotten off to a strong start in his first five games before ending up on crutches.

Came back at 19 and scored 46 goals on the second line (Mathieu Roy and Olivier Labelle each had 50 for the Titan that year). Was offered a two way AHL/ECHL contract but turned it down to finish his junior career with the Titan.

71 goals speak for themself in his final season.

Also, he and Mathieu Carle are best friends. Expect the pair to flourish in Hamilton once reunited - especially on the powerplay.

Needs to get a little tougher in the corners, but overall isn't afraid to go into traffic for the puck. Has a knack for finding open ice and is very effective on breakaways in addition to having soft hands around the net.

Just did a quick count... you're allowed 50 players under contract. With yesterday's signings, and the RFA's still unsigned (not including Perezhogin & Benoit who aren't returning this year), we're at 47 contracts. Not much more room for either Montreal or Hamilton. I'm still not sure if Gleed is signed by the Habs or not (I think he's just signed by the Bulldogs, like Baines & Manlow), as well as Desjardins.

Is Beauregard definitely signed by the Habs? Or just the Bulldogs?

Watched a few clips of him on YouTube. Reminds me a little of Martin St-Louis without the extra gears. Wonder how that'll translate in the pros.

The best thing about Beauregard is that Real Paiement taught him how to play defence. He came in as a rookie as a one-dimensional player, but boy could he score at 16. Paiement, a defence first coach, spent the first two seasons teaching him the importance of being a solid two-way player.

Despite his seemingly low offensive numbers at 17, he was on a last place team and actually lead the club in scoring, all the while playing Paiement's defence first system.

He should have had a break outseason at 18, but five games in blew out his knee and didn't play again that year. He had lead the QMJHL in pre-season scoring and had gotten off to a strong start in his first five games before ending up on crutches.

Came back at 19 and scored 46 goals on the second line (Mathieu Roy and Olivier Labelle each had 50 for the Titan that year). Was offered a two way AHL/ECHL contract but turned it down to finish his junior career with the Titan.

Also, he and Mathieu Carle are best friends. Expect the pair to flourish in Hamilton once reunited - especially on the powerplay.

Needs to get a little tougher in the corners, but overall isn't afraid to go into traffic for the puck. Has a knack for finding open ice and is very effective on breakaways in addition to having soft hands around the net.

Welcome to HW "titanfan"; thank you for the scouting report on Beauregard. Good to hear first hand news on our newest addition.

Just did a quick count... you're allowed 50 players under contract. With yesterday's signings, and the RFA's still unsigned (not including Perezhogin & Benoit who aren't returning this year), we're at 47 contracts. Not much more room for either Montreal or Hamilton. I'm still not sure if Gleed is signed by the Habs or not (I think he's just signed by the Bulldogs, like Baines & Manlow), as well as Desjardins.

I think he's signed with the Bulldogs! in Hamilton; need to get confirmation on this...

ok according to the Gazette article; he signed with the Canadiens to an American League contract. Which puts him securely in Hamilton for next year with an option for the following year.

Edited by Chips

I think he's signed with the Bulldogs! in Hamilton; need to get confirmation on this...

ok according to the Gazette article; he signed with the Canadiens to an American League contract. Which puts him securely in Hamilton for next year with an option for the following year.

Beauregard signed a AHL contract yes, but at anytime, he can sign a NHL contract.

So I'm guessing he's just like Gleed, Desjardins, Baines, and Manlow, then? Just a way around the CBA's 50 contract maximum?

If so, then we're at 46 "official" contracts.

Sucks that Loic Lacasse is under contract but Cedric Desjardins isn't.

Thanks for the info titanfan.

Welcome to the board, enjoy your stay.

:hlogo:

He never got drafted?

anyone ?

Maybe Dann Linn can tell us where Beauregard would fit in Hamilton. Seems that with Urqhart re-signing, Aubin ready to have a regular spot, Kostitsyn making the jump from the OHL and Russel coming on board there's not that much place left on the AHL roster.

Hamilton will likely be crowded next year but it's hard to say since we don't know who will make the jump. Chipchura, Grabovski, Ferland, Milroy, Locke should all be fighting for a spot, not all of them can make the team though, so some players will be back in Hamilton, assuming they clear waivers. Add S.Kostitsyn, and the ECHL guys like Stewart, Aubin and Bonneau plus Russell and there will be a lot of players.

Forwards- Grabovski, Chipchura, Locke, Urquhart, Russell, D'Agostini, Manlow, Baines, Ferland, Milroy, S.Kostitsyn, Stewart, Bonneau, Aubin, Beauregard. That's 15 forwards but some of them I expect to make the Habs, so we'll have to see how it goes. Guys like Beauregard and Russell might spend time going back and forth from the AHL and ECHL if the roster is too full, they can go to the ECHL to get ice time.

I'm not sure what to think of this, not sure what to say except for its aboot bloody time!! :D

Just typical that some high scorers in the Q go undrafted or gets drafted really late.

Besides, Beauregard is 21 yrs old and just 5-11 182 lbs. On his draft year (when he was 17-18) he had a very ordinary season with 46 pts in 68 games and the following season he only played 5 games.

Yes, but this time the Habs finally got one of them. It pisses me off that the Habs often seem to be completely out of the loop with finding the creme de la creme of the Q. To me it makes no sense at all considering how many habs alumni are in the Q. How non French teams have better info and are able to poach better players out of the Q is crazy. Personally I think the Habs should draft at least 1 French player every year. It doesnt have to be a 1st-3rd rounder, but they might as well take chances late in the draft on kids like Beauregard. The Habs should be able to pull something like this off every year. The Habs should be aware of every top player in the Q who is under rated and isnt high on everyones radar and could be a huge steal in later rounds, and especially be aware of all top Q players not even drafted. It drives me crazy when the Habs drop the ball and dont sign the elite French players when they had the chance, they really should have no excuses. Good example is Bergeron, who went 2nd round (45th overall) in 2003. The Habs skipped over him twice. The latest example is this year is Esposito. Time will tell but I kinda wish Bob had picked Esposito, Angelo will be a really good player. I'm sure the guy Bob signed will be too. However my point is that if Bob hadnt have picked MCDONAGH in the 1st round, when MCDONAGH becomes a UFA he wont be bummed at the Habs for not selecting him. It's not like the Habs would have crushed his childhood dream of being signed by his favourite team. With French players though, this simply isnt true, and many seem to hold a grudge for being passed over when the Habs had the chance to get them, but didnt bother to. There seems to be too many French players with the attitude of "why should I sign in Mon and give them a home town discount, if they wanted me that bad they should have picked me when they had the chance". Esposito is years away from being a UFA, but on draft day it looked like he already had that thought of Mon no longer being a destination of choice.

Yes, but this time the Habs finally got one of them. It pisses me off that the Habs often seem to be completely out of the loop with finding the creme de la creme of the Q. To me it makes no sense at all considering how many habs alumni are in the Q. How non French teams have better info and are able to poach better players out of the Q is crazy. Personally I think the Habs should draft at least 1 French player every year. It doesnt have to be a 1st-3rd rounder, but they might as well take chances late in the draft on kids like Beauregard. The Habs should be able to pull something like this off every year. The Habs should be aware of every top player in the Q who is under rated and isnt high on everyones radar and could be a huge steal in later rounds, and especially be aware of all top Q players not even drafted. It drives me crazy when the Habs drop the ball and dont sign the elite French players when they had the chance, they really should have no excuses. Good example is Bergeron, who went 2nd round (45th overall) in 2003. The Habs skipped over him twice. The latest example is this year is Esposito. Time will tell but I kinda wish Bob had picked Esposito, Angelo will be a really good player. I'm sure the guy Bob signed will be too. However my point is that if Bob hadnt have picked MCDONAGH in the 1st round, when MCDONAGH becomes a UFA he wont be bummed at the Habs for not selecting him. It's not like the Habs would have crushed his childhood dream of being signed by his favourite team. With French players though, this simply isnt true, and many seem to hold a grudge for being passed over when the Habs had the chance to get them, but didnt bother to. There seems to be too many French players with the attitude of "why should I sign in Mon and give them a home town discount, if they wanted me that bad they should have picked me when they had the chance". Esposito is years away from being a UFA, but on draft day it looked like he already had that thought of Mon no longer being a destination of choice.

So we should have picked Esposito because...his childhood dream is to play for us, and he might re-sign with us as a UFA for less money??? Like Briere - or wait, was he pissed at us for not getting him off the waiver wire? He's been waiting all these years...

And we picked Fortier, who many believe might be a sleeper.

Our management is not there to pick players on sentiment. As one guy on the RDS boards put it succinctly, 'Donne-moi une equipe de Chnois s'ils vont gagner la Coupe!'

I'm not sure what to think of this, not sure what to say except for its aboot bloody time!! :D

Yes, but this time the Habs finally got one of them.

The habs finally took a 70 goal scorer out of the Q. And there aren't many out there just at the moment. So what's to complain about? For all their faults, the team broke in two 6'2" homegrown rookies who clearly made the team. One can skate, the other one can shoot. Rejoice.

• 2 months later...
Angelo Esposito is not french. He is Canadian..and an Anglophone...who happens to speak french as well...

Esposito is neither french nor canadian nor anglophone or italian or whatever. He's all those things, ie. he's a Montrealer.

Angelo Esposito is not french. He is Canadian..and an Anglophone...who happens to speak french as well...

This is something many people overlook. Yes, he's from Quebec, but so am I and my French is awful. And from the interview I saw on RDS, Espo has a bit of an English accent (and I can pick it out even as an anglophone).

West-Islanders seldom speak french.

We still start learning French in school in kindergarden and English in grade 3. And now I go to school in St Laurent where half my school is very fluent in French.