Habs Face Leadership Shift

Psycing

Another question for my fellow Habs fans regarding the leadership core of the team.

Apart from Saku Koivu who will be looked upon to lead this team until the day he retires (I refuse to acknowledge the possibility that he's traded), who do you think will step up to help lead the Montreal Canadiens next season?

You can read my thoughts in the latest article I've written for HabsWorld on the front page or click the link below.

http://www.habsworld.net/article.php?id=1452

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Who ever truly gets to centre the second lone will get the A. meaning the centre were gonna trade for

the other will be Kovalev ( he will have a talk with Guy and Bob I'm sure at the start of the pre-season) and he will be bound to that talk and to show for it he will have that A to reming him to keep to his word...and earn the keep of the alpha.

Bob Gainey has consistently made a statement about how Higgins and Komisarek are the core of this team. He always included Markov too. Some other players were often mentioned, but, I'm not sure they were always mentioned.

To me, Higgins or Komi, or both will soon have a A.

Don't forget that these two are already considered Veteran by the management. (and rightfully so, IMO)

I don't want Kovalev to have it, because of his babyish acting.

I don't want Markov to have it, cause he doesn't have any leadership skills, despite having the best work ethic and the most consistent play. It could be funny to have him in a leadership role, you can be sure that when he'd talk, people would listen, since it'd be kinda "once in a lifetime event".

Maybe Begin will have it before, French factor and 200% effort factor... but it's very uncommon to have a bottom line grinder wear a A. He's fan favorite, he's extremely good to have and displays good leadership... Would deserve the A... But would feel akward to have him as a A.

Another possibility could be Hamrlik in the mid term...

very unfortunate to see Souray leave, be it only for the leadership part. If Koivu had been absent from the roster for any given reason, I would have seen Souray wear the C.

Down the line, I see Higgins, Komisarek and Chipchura wearing the C and A's.

Now, however, with the number of years he's been here and amount we're paying him, I think it would be a mistake not to give Markov an 'A'.

While I really don't want to see Kovy as assistant captain, I think there's still a chance he'll get it given his age and willingness to speak in the dressing room (whether we agree with what he says or not).

If Kovy doesn't get the second A, I'd love to see Higgins have it.

I don't see how you could give the only Defensive A to Markov's defense partner. I also wouldn't ant to give it to the new guy (read Hamrlik)

I could definitely see the A's go to Markov and Higgins.

My money's on Markov and Kovalev. My backup guesses are Higgins, Hamrlik, or Begin.

I think Higgins will end up speaking up in the lockerroom a fair bit. He's well-spoken and articulate, and I'm sure his leadershp role will grow as the year progresses.

Kovalev will have one I would be shocked if he did not.

Contrary to popular belief Markov does talk a lot to his team mates Komisarek was quoted saying that on the ice Markov never SHUTS UP.

As for the second A Markov or Komisarek.

Yeah, my point on Markov was that he doesn't talk to the media a whole lot - and when he does he's usually quite reserved.

Yeah but who on the team would give a shit about that.

How many times do you think they have said PUCK THE MEDIA!

Yeah, my point on Markov was that he doesn't talk to the media a whole lot - and when he does he's usually quite reserved.

Yeah but who on the team would give a shit about that.

How many times do you think they have said PUCK THE MEDIA!

lol, for sure, but figured I'd clarify incase there was uncertainty regarding my article :)

Still, I for one wouldn't mind hearing a little more what Markov has to say prior, during, and after games. :D

Then again, if Markov started talking for the public eye a lot more than expected, it would ruin his current image - and that would flip his coolness down a level, haha.

I'd like to see 3 assistants : C Koivu A Komisarek A Bégin A Higgins

Begin needs to play more games to get the A

well, i think his teammates need to play more games like Bégin to deserve the A...

I agree that Higgins will captain the team one day but i think it's too soon for him to be an A.

Because he's young? I don't think that's a good reason not to give it to a guy. If he's vocal, works hard, leads by example, then why not? Stevie Y got a C when he was 22 and kept it his entire career and was arguably one of the best leaders ever in the NHL...

there are so many young guys on the team that I think it makes a lot of sense to have a younger leader on the crew.

I agree, my vote, slap an "A" on Mr. Higgins jersey.

After reading that Komisarek article he needs to be an assistant next year. He wants to teach the young kids called a former teammate about Hamrlik and wanted to call to welcome him to the team.

After reading that Komisarek article he needs to be an assistant next year. He wants to teach the young kids called a former teammate about Hamrlik and wanted to call to welcome him to the team.

yeah, I agree, that's pretty cool. I like both Higgins and Komi A LOT and I think long term they'll both be A's and 1 will be the C. Until now, I've always figured that would be Higgins, but it might be Komi after all...

yeah, I agree, that's pretty cool. I like both Higgins and Komi A LOT and I think long term they'll both be A's and 1 will be the C. Until now, I've always figured that would be Higgins, but it might be Komi after all...

Also Komisarek has been with team team an orginazation longer to give it to Higgins would be unfair.