Assessing the Summer's Big Change: Would you trade Souray for Hamrlik?

Would You Trade Souray for Hamrlik?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. A straight one-for-one deal: Sheldon for Roman. Do you do it?

• Yes
    • No

Straight up.

I made the poll because it's a nice way of assessing just how the board feels about the major move of the summer, i.e., the loss of Souray and the gain of Hamrlik.

This is not to imply that Bob made the wrong move. Just to focus our minds on whether this team is *really* better off with Hamrlik.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

I don't think that I would've done the deal, but since souray was already lost, it makes the hamrlik signing logical.

Edited by marky_and_komi

Souray handled Montreal pretty well.

.. but right now my vote goes to Hamrlik, but I believe sometime down the line, with hindsight, I'd pick Souray over Hamrlik because of his leadership qualities and rocket from the point.

I voted no. It's nothing against Hamrlik but Souray, despite his defensive lapses is a lethal weapon. If he finds his way to San Jose. Watch out. Lethal is right.

Hamrlik brings stability. The question is difficult to answer. The Souray era in Montreal is OVER. BOb offered him an excellent contract. He's barking at less right now. He wanted to leave. He also was not totally straight about his intentions which tarnishes what once was more of a hero to me :(

yes now that I know who the new Hamrlik is...

2-3 years ago, it would have been YES!!! cause Hamrlik was a flashier player back then...

But he's evolved and play a safer two way game, while still moving the puck pretty well... all things Sheldong doesn't do. From what I know now, it's clear than Hammer > Sheldon.

Depends on what you need. Assuming you're referring to the Canadiens franchise and not just a general Souray for Hamrlik deal, then I say Hamrlik is the bigger gain - the Habs need reliable defense. If the Habs already had that but lacked in the PP department something fierce, then Souray is the obvious call.

No way. Souray's value in the NHL today is way higher than Roman Hamrliks. Souray may be horrible defensively, but Hamrlik isn't that much better defensively to negate Souray's PP ability. IN today's NHL, the PP is so important, as long as the Refs keep calling 6 to 8 minors a game per team, that Souray is worth more than Roman Hamrlik.

i wonder who will stick up for koivu now that souray and rivet are gone

Komisarek O'bryne

not to mention kostopoulos

I voted yes. I loved souray while he was here, but i have to say that i've lost some respect for him after saying he wanted to be in montreal and then doing this. (taking less in NY) However that isnt what motivated my vote. For me the solution was clear. It came down to +/- and Hammer won out huge

Straight up.

I made the poll because it's a nice way of assessing just how the board feels about the major move of the summer, i.e., the loss of Souray and the gain of Hamrlik.

This is not to imply that Bob made the wrong move. Just to focus our minds on whether this team is *really* better off with Hamrlik.

wouldnt it be more appropriate to say "would you trade souray for hammer + 1 - 1.5 million bucks a year? I'm assuming Souray will capture 5.5 - 6 mil/year in the open market. Put in these terms, the trade looks a lot better doesn't it?

I don't think that I would've done the deal, but since souray was already lost, it makes the hamrlik signing logical.

Yeah, I wouldn't have been able to pull the trigger on the trade, but I feel like this move will help us out, overall.

I loved souray while he was here, but i have to say that i've lost some respect for him after saying he wanted to be in montreal and then doing this. (taking less in NY)

link?

Let's wait for the fat lady to sing

i wonder who will stick up for koivu now that souray and rivet are gone

Komisarek O'bryne

not to mention kostopoulos

Hell with all of last year's Souray's Fight Hogging ...yeah he was hogging it all!! :) I wouldnt be surprised LAts playing wing with Koivu and even Higgins getting older and stronger they will all get into it!!! they are all gonna gang on the next guy to touch Koivu... man we might get too many instigators or unsportsmanlike penalties

I for one thing were gonna get alot more Fighting majors than last year with the kind of guys we got now... I even seen slomo get into fights !

No way. Souray's value in the NHL today is way higher than Roman Hamrliks. Souray may be horrible defensively, but Hamrlik isn't that much better defensively to negate Souray's PP ability. IN today's NHL, the PP is so important, as long as the Refs keep calling 6 to 8 minors a game per team, that Souray is worth more than Roman Hamrlik.

I agree in part,

but doesn't Hamrlik have a possitive chart when it comes to +/- over the past few years?

And isn't he credited with the good developement of Phaneuf?

Doesn't that mean that if "your" team has young D's then this guy (Hamrlik) be a good asset to "your" team???

I personaly would give up Sourays 60 pts for Hamrliks 40-50 if it means that he is in the +'s at the end of the season. We all know that Souray is a force on the PP, but he ends up in the -'s at the end of the season anyway and to me that means games lost because a D-man CAN"T PLAY D. :blink:

I picked NO, because I feel that the Hammer's solid defense and physical presence is worth more than Souray's bomb from the point. I feel that although it'll be a step back, Kovy or Streit can fill in for that shot from the blue line.

Personally, I'm still hoping we can have both, and lure Shelly back with a front loaded contract.

I certainly have a bias for Souray; however, The Hammer, does a have a decent shot and is a force on the ice, plays D-brilliantly; And that is what we need badly.

So I say YES!

GO HABS GO!

I actually heard that, it was a video link with the Habs scouts and top brass. They say he is physically ready, great skater with a hard shot.

Maybe with the rise of Valentenko, O'byrne the Habs could dump some of the D who just don't cut. (maybe my pipe dream) but playing 2 rookies couldn't make it worse.

It is on tsn. It's off to the right side.

I would be very surprised to see 2 rookies on the D corps to start the season, but I guess it could be possible by the end.

Markov-Komisarek

Hamrlik-O'Byrne

Dandenault/Streit-Valentenko?

Edited by simonus

Someone on another board posted that they heard (means no link on TSN) on TV that Habs brass is super impressed with Valentenko and he is not Hamilton bound but more likely Montreal bound. Due to a D surplus - LET THE RUMOURS BEGIN

That is a surprise.

Last I heard, this camp was the first time he has skated at all since early April.

I wonder what he plays like when he is in game shape?

For my money....O'Byrne is the way to go. He's huge, physical and has played at a higher level sucessfully.

Valentenko is still very young.

I look at it is how can it get worse. I guess they could give up 50 shots a game instead of 40.

The 2 things we do know about Valentenko and O'byrne in they are big, physical and are tough in there own end.