Assessing the Summer's Big Change: Would you trade Souray for Hamrlik?

Would You Trade Souray for Hamrlik?  

33 members have voted

1. 1. A straight one-for-one deal: Sheldon for Roman. Do you do it?

• Yes
    • No

Nah, I wouldn't do it. Straight up Souray is better, offensively and physically he brings more to the table. Hamrlik is a good player, of course - but offensively he isn't contributing, and while good defensively he similarly lacks good foot speed/mobility.

Hamrlik is a way better skater then the human pilon. he will get 40-50 points and his plus minus will be much better then the leagues worst human high light real. That's not a compliment, he was undressed almost nightly.

So everyone should atleast see what Hamrlik can bring to the table. He hasn't even played a game yet.

Well, I'm basing this on a clip I saw of Hamrlik on the TSN UFA preview show - McGuire, Dreger, etc were talking about how Hamrlik has matured and is now more responsible defensively, but that wingers were skating around him quite easily since he's lost significant speed.

Quite obviously he cannot be as bad defensively as Souray, but Souray was not the worst defender in the NHL either.

Well his defensive numbers say otherwise. He was the worst plus minus man in the league.

I agree, Hamrlik will get undressed a few times and he has lost a step but it is a good upgrade to the position.

Nah, I wouldn't do it. Straight up Souray is better, offensively and physically he brings more to the table. Hamrlik is a good player, of course - but offensively he isn't contributing, and while good defensively he similarly lacks good foot speed/mobility.

The offensive comparison is fair to Hamrlik. Once Phaneuf made the Flames Hamrlik was no longer the guy to take the shot from the point or set up plays as much on the PP.

In Montreal, Souray had to be injured to not play at least a minute and a half per PP opportunity.

Sweet lord. Souray's got a cannon, that's for sure, but he's basically a forward playing D. Everyone agrees he's a pylon in his own end (hi there, Jason Spezza). I know I'm no GM, scout, or whatever, but the Habs PP last year was entirely focused on one thing: feed the puck to Souray at the point and let him unload. Souray's contributions last season are notable, but come on...he was basically spoon fed back there all season. $6M (or thereabouts) for that one dimensional of a player? Absurd. And imagine that, it happened in his contract year! He's never before approached the point total of last season.

I'd rather be tied to Hamrlik at 5.5 for the next 4 years, than Souray at 6. And if Souray signs for less than the 5.5 somewhere, then he can take the lip service he paid to Montreal and its fans the past year elsewhere.

i voted no. All about our PP who gonna drop from 1rst to 20th this season...

Recipe to fix: See who has the hardest shot on the team. Place him at the pt and change nothing else. There, no PP problems. Whoever replaces Souray there can't possibly play worse D. Or here's an idea...spread the puck around on the PP.

I think we're much better off with Hamrlik. Roman is a more complete player, including a pretty darn hard shot of his own. Sure, we had the #1 PP and Sheldon was a big part of it, but what did it matter? We missed the playoffs. Despite his production, I think Souray brought the rest of the team down. They tried way too hard to get the puck back to Souray to let him rip shots. If we spread the puck around more and create opportunities for whoever is open, our PP isn't going to suffer at all. In the defensive end, there's no argument Hamrlik is better to have around.

The hardest shot on the team doesn't equal a goal - Souray's shot is probably the hardest in the NHL, which is why he can score so much.

I forgot my /sarcasm tags. My real point was to try and distribute the puck to more than one player on the PP.

i voted no. All about our PP who gonna drop from 1rst to 20th this season...

Recipe to fix: See who has the hardest shot on the team. Place him at the pt and change nothing else. There, no PP problems. Whoever replaces Souray there can't possibly play worse D. Or here's an idea...spread the puck around on the PP.

There's something bizarre about the idea that Souray's incredible shot was a *problem* on the PP. We had the NUMBER ONE PP OVERALL. For one reason: Souray's shot.

To that with Souray is out of the picture, our PP will be just as good because he'll stop hogging the puck - makes no sense. It's not easy to have the league's best PP. It doesn't just 'happen.' It takes exceptional, league-leading talent (e.g., Souray's shot). It's a bit like saying the Sabres will be better without Briere and Drury because those guys hogged so much ice time. Yeah, right.

I don't say that Hamrlik isn't a good substitute, or that our overall game might improve slightly to compensate for the dip in PP production. But some people on this board are just kidding themselves that Souray didn't bring huge attributes.

To that with Souray is out of the picture, our PP will be just as good because he'll stop hogging the puck - makes no sense. It's not easy to have the league's best PP. It doesn't just 'happen.' It takes exceptional, league-leading talent (e.g., Souray's shot). It's a bit like saying the Sabres will be better without Briere and Drury because those guys hogged so much ice time. Yeah, right.

I don't say that Hamrlik isn't a good substitute, or that our overall game might improve slightly to compensate for the dip in PP production. But some people on this board are just kidding themselves that Souray didn't bring huge attributes.

I never said Souray didn't have a hard shot, nor did I say it was a "problem". However, when you have such great set up men, Kovalev makes a lot of space on the boards when controlling the puck. Markov and Koivu also set up Souray very well. To say our PP is going to go down the tubes because the Habs lost 1 player is discounting what the rest of the team brings to the table. It wasn't as if Souray carried the puck, made space and time for himself, then unleashed a shot. He was playing (a very good) game of tee ball. Get to a spot, wait for the puck to arrive, fire away.

Maybe, just maybe, Montreal will distribute the puck on the powerplay, or who knows. Maybe just find someone else to set up for 10 or so blasts (maybe 3 of them actually hit the net) from the point. Yes, Souray has a good, if sometimes inaccurate, shot (much better once he changed sticks). To say none of the other 4 players on the ice had a role in setting him up is kidding themselves.

Edited by huzer

I never said Souray didn't have a hard shot, nor did I say it was a "problem". However, when you have such great set up men, Kovalev makes a lot of space on the boards when controlling the puck. Markov and Koivu also set up Souray very well. To say our PP is going to go down the tubes because the Habs lost 1 player is discounting what the rest of the team brings to the table. It wasn't as if Souray carried the puck, made space and time for himself, then unleashed a shot. He was playing (a very good) game of tee ball. Get to a spot, wait for the puck to arrive, fire away.

Maybe, just maybe, Montreal will distribute the puck on the powerplay, or who knows. Maybe just find someone else to set up for 10 or so blasts (maybe 3 of them actually hit the net) from the point. Yes, Souray has a good, if sometimes inaccurate, shot (much better once he changed sticks). To say none of the other 4 players on the ice had a role in setting him up is kidding themselves.

Well, time will tell. I just don't believe that the Habs have such elite offensive talent that their powerplay will be top-5 without Souray. Markov, Koivu and Kovalev - excellent players yes, but the best PP talent in hockey? Since when?

I'll tell you since when - since Souray changed his stick and became a machine. Bottom line: expect a significant drop in PP production, that' s all.

The offensive comparison is fair to Hamrlik. Once Phaneuf made the Flames Hamrlik was no longer the guy to take the shot from the point or set up plays as much on the PP.

In Montreal, Souray had to be injured to not play at least a minute and a half per PP opportunity.

I don't think Hammy was brought in to replace Souray's shot, rather he will be a responsible D who can help teach the young kids. I think O'Byrne/Streit will replace the point shot. They both have great shots. The blue line could look like:

1st PP shift: Markov setting up Steit

2nd PP shift: Hammy setting up O'Byrne

Streit is more of a playmaker than finisher no?

Straight up.

I made the poll because it's a nice way of assessing just how the board feels about the major move of the summer, i.e., the loss of Souray and the gain of Hamrlik.

This is not to imply that Bob made the wrong move. Just to focus our minds on whether this team is *really* better off with Hamrlik.

I "think" so...or maybe more accurately I hope so....

Time will tell if Hamrlik was indeed and "upgrade"...I am hopeful...

In hindsight I knew it was a big mistake to keep Souray just before the deadline...in hopes of signing him...later...I feel that his trade value and his UFA status AND our policy of non negotiating during the year made him a prime candidate for a trade...Bob G gambled on Shelly resigning etc and lost...

Well, time will tell. I just don't believe that the Habs have such elite offensive talent that their powerplay will be top-5 without Souray. Markov, Koivu and Kovalev - excellent players yes, but the best PP talent in hockey? Since when?

I'll tell you since when - since Souray changed his stick and became a machine. Bottom line: expect a significant drop in PP production, that' s all.

Yes, it really is a no-brainer. It's a ridiculous view to take that the powerplay will remain the league's best without Souray. Remove the guy scoring all the PP goals and suddenly you have a problem, no? Sure, they can try to "distribute" the puck evenly, but that doesn't mean jack if it doesn't equal goals. It almost sounds communist. Yeesh.

An aside - I've got high hopes for O'Byrne and all, but he hasn't even made the team yet, so saying that he's going to be playing the point on the powerplay is premature.

Yes, it really is a no-brainer. It's a ridiculous view to take that the powerplay will remain the league's best without Souray. Remove the guy scoring all the PP goals and suddenly you have a problem, no? Sure, they can try to "distribute" the puck evenly, but that doesn't mean jack if it doesn't equal goals. It almost sounds communist. Yeesh.

An aside - I've got high hopes for O'Byrne and all, but he hasn't even made the team yet, so saying that he's going to be playing the point on the powerplay is premature.

Well the number 1 power play didn't get us very far last year. I hope our 5 on 5 improves. Look at Ottawa, they were in the middle of the pack on the power play and still got to the finals with a great season behind them. It's all about balance and that's what we should aim for. If we happen to be the best at something ,cool, but not at the expense of something else. Souray's point shot will be missed but who is to say that Streit or Markov isn't capable given the opurtunity Sheldon had. Or before Sheldon's break through wasn't Kovalev back at the blue-line? Carbo will figure it out.

I found there were so many unecessary points made in this thread. While I'm not saying it would work this way every season, having the number 1 PP last season obviously did not help us make the playoffs. That being said, Souray's horrible +/- is not the only reason we didn't make the playoffs either. It's a team game, and while one player's specific strengths will help a team in a certain way, there are always downsides to their play as well. Personally I'd say Hamrlik is definitely more well rounded at the back... cant' really go wrong with that.

I don't think there's anyone on these boards that prior to July 1st would have EVER made the trade (Souray for Hamrlik) but that's not to say signing Hamrlik instead of Souray has impeeded our progress. Players play different on different teams and only time will tell how Hamrlik will perform for the habs. I don't see him standing out as much as Souray did with his exciting goals, but he will definitely improve our defensive core.

That being said, I'm sure a lot of people who have posted here haven't seen Hamrlik play enough to properly judge him.

I will miss Souray though.

I give up. I'm not saying the team should pass the puck around the perimeter of the box for two minutes playing an ice capades version of Hot Potato. I don't care if Souray popped in 19 of the 86 goals, or that he led the team in shots because the puck was put on his stick more than any player on the team. You don't NEED to have the hardest shot in the league to score goals. Adapt the power play to not continually spoon feed ONE and ONLY ONE player. Will the Habs be the #1 PP next season? I'd say no. Nobody expected to be #1 last season either. It's unrealistic to think it would be #1 this year even if Souray re-signed with the team. But yet this will be another thing Habs fans have a built in excuse for next season. "Our PP stinks because Souray went to Edm and Gainey didn't replace his production. Fire Big Head Bob and the Monsters!."

Obviously, I'm not an ardent supporter of Souray. Never have been. For every goal he'd score, he'd turn the wrong way on an attacking player at least 2 times a game, if not more. Standing around in the defensive zone with that stupid look of "what the hell just happened" on his face, staring at the ice around him as if he'd just dropped a contact lens. I'm glad we're not stuck with that look for another 5 years.

I'd like more garbage PP goals (more Garbage goals in general) from in close with guys standing by the net and shoveling it in... How many times last year did we have 5 on 3's and Nothing happens because our guys played a perimeter game??? At least Souray gone forces them to adapt the power play strategy to have more than just ONE play.

Well the number 1 power play didn't get us very far last year. I hope our 5 on 5 improves. Look at Ottawa, they were in the middle of the pack on the power play and still got to the finals with a great season behind them. It's all about balance and that's what we should aim for. If we happen to be the best at something ,cool, but not at the expense of something else. Souray's point shot will be missed but who is to say that Streit or Markov isn't capable given the opurtunity Sheldon had. Or before Sheldon's break through wasn't Kovalev back at the blue-line? Carbo will figure it out.

I think it was more about 3 or 4 all stars players than balance why they were so good.

And about Souray on the PP, he was the reason why Kovalev and Ryder had so much space on the side. Other teams had to place a guy near Souray and so open the LW or RW spot... Souray was a weapon that other teams had to have a gameplan against. Basically, we didn't improve our offense at all and whatever you guys can say about our PP for next season, I predict a 20th to 30th place. Souray WAS the KEY to this PP.