The Official TV Thread

jetsniper

So, based upon the recommendations of Fanny and Jets (and even Kozed) in the past, I downloaded from iTunes the first season of Chuck. We watched the pilot last night and were pretty impressed. She asked me if we could then watch number two - but it wasn't finished downloading so she went to bed disappointed. ;-) I suppose that it a pretty glowing endorsement of the 1st show.

I also downloaded the first season of The Office and watched the pilot of that one. Quite different from what I was expecting. There are a lot of 'uncomfortable silences' and I think you have to be in the right frame of mind to appreciate what the show is doing. That said, I'll watch the first season and see how it tickles my funny bone.

If anyone has any further recommendations, the wife and I are happy to hear what they are and take some chances. Not just network stuff, but from other channels as well. I'm a big fan of comedy (30 Rock, Modern Family, Community, Cougar Town, Friends), and I guess the dramedy (Chuck) is looking good. We're very large fans of Sci-Fi done intelligently (Battlestar Galactica, Fringe, *X-Files*!!, as well as the Star Trek's). Are the Stargate series any good? I watched half a season of Atlantis a long time ago and thought it was great. SG: Universe was brilliant for me, but I guess they canned it because it wasn't Stargatey enough for the original fans.

I also like things like West Wing, Boston Legal (only season 5 in the iTunes store in Canada - BIG BOO). We started Weeds and think it seems okay. I'm curious about Californication. I think we'll get the Walking Dead.

If you recommend something, please give a small blurb about it so I can tell whether it might hit our interests. Thanks in advance les boys.

I don't follow a ton of shows but Walking Dead has become a favourite of mine. I've been watching Terra Nova as well, but I'm not 100% certain I'll stick with it.

In terms of comedy for a show no longer on the air, Home Movies is amazing. Not sure if their kind of comedy is up your alley, but I love it. If you watched Bob's Burgers it's kind of similar.

On that note is Bob's Burgers coming back for a 2nd season?

That said, I'll watch the first season and see how it tickles my funny bone.

What are we talking here? British or US? If it's US then that's an awful idea. The majority of Office fans will tell you the first season is terrible and the show doesn't find its groove until season 2. Seasons 2-4 are all great and then it gets iffy after that. 5 is not bad, 6 is terrible, 7 gets a bit better. 8 has been decent so far.

But season one, they spend far too much time trying to imitate the BBC show instead of doing their own thing.

Another Greg Daniels show, Parks and Recreation, is the same way. Season 1 they try really hard to imitate the US Office and it wasn't good at all. Season 2 and beyond they do their own thing and it's god tier

Chuck, season 2, episode 12... in 3D ??? WTF ?!?!

Theres a normal version out there too.

• Upvote 1

Okay, just bought season 1 of the UK version for comparison. Gervais is brilliant, so here's hoping. How lucky am I to still be grandfathered (no age comments) in with an unlimited plan for my net access?

Chuck, season 2, episode 12... in 3D ??? WTF ?!?!

The Super Bowl was on NBC that year and one of the big ads that year was going to be for Monsters vs. Aliens 3D or something like that. So there was a big campaign to get 3D glasses to people and they figured they might as well take advantage of it and make the next day's Chuck in 3D also.

What are we talking here? British or US? If it's US then that's an awful idea. The majority of Office fans will tell you the first season is terrible and the show doesn't find its groove until season 2. Seasons 2-4 are all great and then it gets iffy after that. 5 is not bad, 6 is terrible, 7 gets a bit better. 8 has been decent so far.

But season one, they spend far too much time trying to imitate the BBC show instead of doing their own thing.

Another Greg Daniels show, Parks and Recreation, is the same way. Season 1 they try really hard to imitate the US Office and it wasn't good at all. Season 2 and beyond they do their own thing and it's god tier

That was awfully kind of you to type out exactly what I would have said. :)

If anyone has any further recommendations, the wife and I are happy to hear what they are and take some chances. Not just network stuff, but from other channels as well. I'm a big fan of comedy (30 Rock, Modern Family, Community, Cougar Town, Friends), and I guess the dramedy (Chuck) is looking good. We're very large fans of Sci-Fi done intelligently (Battlestar Galactica, Fringe, *X-Files*!!, as well as the Star Trek's). Are the Stargate series any good? I watched half a season of Atlantis a long time ago and thought it was great. SG: Universe was brilliant for me, but I guess they canned it because it wasn't Stargatey enough for the original fans.

I also like things like West Wing, Boston Legal (only season 5 in the iTunes store in Canada - BIG BOO). We started Weeds and think it seems okay. I'm curious about Californication. I think we'll get the Walking Dead.

If you recommend something, please give a small blurb about it so I can tell whether it might hit our interests. Thanks in advance les boys.

Person of Interest, Blue Mountain State, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Chuck, Family Guy, South Park, The Simpsons, American Dad, 24 (Jack Bauer = Total Bad*ss), Entourage (that show freakin' rocks)

Person of Interest, Blue Mountain State, How I Met Your Mother, The Big Bang Theory, Chuck, Family Guy, South Park, The Simpsons, American Dad, 24 (Jack Bauer = Total Bad*ss), Entourage (that show freakin' rocks)

24. Good call. Might be time to go back and try that one. I watched the first few eppy's then had to miss two straight. Once I was watching again, everything was totally changed. Lost my interest because of that; if you have to miss an episode, it's too hard to figure things out. I'm sure it's a great show, you just can't miss it - and now I have the chance to control when I can see it. Thanks!

For PoI, I'll wait to hear a little more. Never even heard of BMS, HIMYM is interesting to me, but I've seen a few and I'm not sure it's the type of show I'd try to get to 'no matter what.' Same with BBT. And as for the animated stuff, never been a fan. I've seen a few Simpsons and I get that it's smart social commentary, but it's just not my thing.

Now Entourage, on the other hand, another great call. That'll go on the list.

Don't watch all of Entourage, just the first couple seasons.

By the last few season, everyone has turned into such a egomaniacal, self-absorbed, shallow, unlikeable douchebag that you'll do nothing but wish you could punch each and every single one of them. I watched the premiere of this last season and that was enough to do me in.

I've never seen a worse group of characters in one TV show. I'm sure one exists but not in any show I've seen.

By the last few season, everyone has turned into such a egomaniacal, self-absorbed, shallow, unlikeable douchebag that you'll do nothing but wish you could punch each and every single one of them. I watched the premiere of this last season and that was enough to do me in.

I've never seen a worse group of characters in one TV show. I'm sure one exists but not in any show I've seen.

Okay, you've chimed in with good stuff on a few shows, but where are your recommendations! I've been chatting on here and IM with you and Fanny about TV for years, but you're not giving me anything! Just teasing with bits and pieces!

You're a TV tease!

Okay, you've chimed in with good stuff on a few shows, but where are your recommendations! I've been chatting on here and IM with you and Fanny about TV for years, but you're not giving me anything! Just teasing with bits and pieces!

You're a TV tease!

I gave you a couple at the waiver draft the other day. And I just mentioned Parks & Rec yesterday.

You didn't say anything about dramas so I kept them to myself. But start watching Breaking Bad and Mad Men. I also endorse BTH's Game of Thrones suggestion.

And I guess I'll throw Arrested Development out there in case you haven't seen. Favourite show of all-time.

I gave you a couple at the waiver draft the other day. And I just mentioned Parks & Rec yesterday.

You didn't say anything about dramas so I kept them to myself. But start watching Breaking Bad and Mad Men. I also endorse BTH's Game of Thrones suggestion.

And I guess I'll throw Arrested Development out there in case you haven't seen. Favourite show of all-time.

If Game of Thrones goes anything like the books, you can start waiting 14 years between seasons then have entire seasons where nothing happens - not even character development! Plus the producers will lose interest and stop making it until the network forces them to complete it, at which point you'll have a rushed completion and sad continuation of the series which the show runners have lost interest in doing!

;-)

• Upvote 1

Still a worthwhile show for all the cameos by a bunch of artists/actors/etc.

That show is a very accurate depiction of Hollywood life and Jeremy Piven's Ari Gold character is just amazing, just watch it and enjoy it for what it is and it will become one of your favourite shows!

If Game of Thrones goes anything like the books, you can start waiting 14 years between seasons then have entire seasons where nothing happens - not even character development! Plus the producers will lose interest and stop making it until the network forces them to complete it, at which point you'll have a rushed completion and sad continuation of the series which the show runners have lost interest in doing!

;-)

Apparently, there WILL be 7 consecutive seasons without massive hiatuses. I will believe it when I see it! :)

Still a worthwhile show for all the cameos by a bunch of artists/actors/etc.

That show is a very accurate depiction of Hollywood life and Jeremy Piven's Ari Gold character is just amazing, just watch it and enjoy it for what it is and it will become one of your favourite shows!

I did watch it. I've seen every episode up to the premiere of this season. The second and third seasons do act as a behind the scenes look and it's quite interesting, especially in season 2 with the Aquaman storyline.

But after a certain point the show switches from a behind the scenes take to focusing on each character massaging their ego. It's akin to Sex And The City. The character development is so mind-numbingly horrible, I could hardly stand it anymore. Last season was painful to watch. I hung in there for Ari but even he became unbearable.

And not that it really matters after all that but none of the main 4 can act anyway, especially Turtle. Turtle might be my most hated TV character of all-time. For a protagonist, there is not one redeeming quality to his character.

I did watch it. I've seen every episode up to the premiere of this season. The second and third seasons do act as a behind the scenes look and it's quite interesting, especially in season 2 with the Aquaman storyline.

But after a certain point the show switches from a behind the scenes take to focusing on each character massaging their ego. It's akin to Sex And The City. The character development is so mind-numbingly horrible, I could hardly stand it anymore. Last season was painful to watch. I hung in there for Ari but even he became unbearable.

And not that it really matters after all that but none of the main 4 can act anyway, especially Turtle. Turtle might be my most hated TV character of all-time. For a protagonist, there is not one redeeming quality to his character.

To me Turtle is not a main character, the star characters are Vinny, Drama and Ari, and those actors are pretty decent and Piven nails the role of Ari! However, I agree the last season is very weak...

Apparently, Jets, Arrested Development is coming back as a Netflix series and will stream in 2013. There ya go.

http://www.engadget....nt-as-a-stream/

Aw man, never in a million years did I think Netflix would win that bidding war.

Canadian Netflix is balls, I don't want to go back.

Aw man, never in a million years did I think Netflix would win that bidding war.

Canadian Netflix is balls, I don't want to go back.

No, balls serve some purpose. Netflix is that corn kernel you just can't shake off on the toilet.

No, balls serve some purpose. Netflix is that corn kernel you just can't shake off on the toilet.

Haha, I don't think I've come across one Canadian that enjoys our Netflix. The selection is awful (can thank the lovely CRTC for that). I had it for a few months in the summer, ironically enough all I really used it for was watching Arrested Development.

Oh and comedy routines. Mostly Louis CK. And The IT Crowd, a British comedy.

Wait, theres another TV show I can recommend, The IT Crowd. Brilliant show.

"Hello, IT. Have you tried turning it off and on again? Uh... okay, well, the button on the side, is it glowing? ...yeah, you need to turn it on... uh, the button turns it on... yeah, you do know how a button works don't you? No, not on clothes. No, no there you go, no there you go. I just heard it come on... no, no, that's the music you heard when it comes on... no, that's the music you hear when... I'm sorry are you from the past?"