The Official TV Thread

jetsniper

I gave Forever a try and it's not half bad. It's almost like another version of Elementary except the lead isn't a know-it-all detective...instead, it's a know-it-all medical examiner who can't die no matter how hard he tries. It's a run-of-the-mill cop procedural but if that's your cup of tea, it might be worth a watch.

There's something about the guy in Forever that I just don't like, so I passed on that one.

Just sitting down to watch the second episode of Scorpion, but the pilot was pretty decent. Nothing mind blowing, but the characters seem likeable and it's an interesting premise

NCIS: NO is exactly as expected. The people at NCIS really know good casting.

Black-ish was decent.

Gotham has been very good thus far.

Still waiting on the Stalker premier.

• 11 months later...

There are lots of new shows this year but not a whole lot sound all that interesting.

Ones I'm planning to try:

- Limitless (hopefully not seeing the movie won't be much of an issue)

- Minority Report

- Quantico

- Blindspot

- The Player

- The Grinder

Any other new shows out there that might be worth a look?

Grantland had a not-so-enthusiastic piece about the new season last week, calling this the "worst fall season in modern television history." That's a bit of a downer... http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/2015-fall-tv-preview-burn-it-all-down/

A series about Pablo Escobar... But it's a Netflix only production.

Yeah great show really kie it not quite finished.

Netflix involves streaming...my internet's much too slow for that.

Brian, streaming is the only way I watch T.V. You gotta get with the times. :)

There are lots of new shows this year but not a whole lot sound all that interesting.

Ones I'm planning to try:

- Limitless (hopefully not seeing the movie won't be much of an issue)

- Minority Report

- Quantico

- Blindspot

- The Player

- The Grinder

Any other new shows out there that might be worth a look?

Grantland had a not-so-enthusiastic piece about the new season last week, calling this the "worst fall season in modern television history." That's a bit of a downer... http://grantland.com/hollywood-prospectus/2015-fall-tv-preview-burn-it-all-down/

I watched Blindspot and liked it, but was expecting more of a "wow factor" like the pilot for The Blacklist. I still can't decide what I think about The Player. The premise is so wrong, but it was good TV. It appears to be pretty much DOA based on the premier's ratings, though. Quantico definitely looks good, but has a high probability for failure, IMO. Seems like a show that could easily lose it itself in an overly complicated plot or lose direction if it runs for a few seasons.

I watched the Muppets and while it was solid, I was expecting more. Of course, I probably just built it up in my head too much. I also tried Rosewood. It's nothing ground breaking, but it was fun. It seemed like a show that would have gone well with the likes of Monk, Psych, and Burn Notice on USA Network (or wherever those showed aired up in Canada.)

• 2 weeks later...

I watched Blindspot and liked it, but was expecting more of a "wow factor" like the pilot for The Blacklist. I still can't decide what I think about The Player. The premise is so wrong, but it was good TV. It appears to be pretty much DOA based on the premier's ratings, though. Quantico definitely looks good, but has a high probability for failure, IMO. Seems like a show that could easily lose it itself in an overly complicated plot or lose direction if it runs for a few seasons.

I watched the Muppets and while it was solid, I was expecting more. Of course, I probably just built it up in my head too much. I also tried Rosewood. It's nothing ground breaking, but it was fun. It seemed like a show that would have gone well with the likes of Monk, Psych, and Burn Notice on USA Network (or wherever those showed aired up in Canada.)

The premise for The Player is ridiculous but it's still not a bad show. There usually is room for one 'action above any real plot' show and I thought this one might have been it. It's even a perfect fit for the lead since he's coming from a show with some similarities in Strike Back - lots of shooting and violence, 'against all odds' situations, and a plot that has some holes in it. (They stopped airing that in Canada this year unfortunately...) But unless the ratings tick up in a big way soon, The Player probably won't get a back nine.

I gave Rosewood a shot and it's not bad. It reminds me a bit of The Finder with the same light/fun approach. Its ratings aren't half bad even.

• 10 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

So, what new shows look good this year? Designated Survivor is right at the top of my list and Bull might be interesting - Michael Weatherly in a non-NCIS role will be worth a watch. I'll give Notorious a shot based on their two leads as I watched Graceland and Covert Affairs when those shows were on. What else is worth a look to start TV season in a couple of weeks?

To recap last year, I only ended up keeping three new network shows: Rosewood, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow. Really like the first two, but only pretty much keep up with LoT so I don't get lost on crossovers with the other DC universe shows. I gave up on the two shows I was most anticipating, Quantico and Blindspot. On cable, I picked up Stitchers and Dark Matter, which have become two of my favorite current shows. And a show I never mentioned from a couple years ago is Fresh Off The Boat. Easily my favorite new comedy the last 4-5 years. Another show I picked up late is The 100.

After last year's lackluster crop of shows, I'm giving a lot of shows a try this year. Among the shows I am most looking forward to trying:

- Frequency: Loved the movie and have recently fallen in love with a number of shows on the network.

- Designated Survivor: Keifer Sutherland plus the season's most interesting concept.

- Speechless: Previews have been promising

- This Is Us: Seems to be the buzzworthy show of the season

Shows I am trying mainly because of the cast:

- Kevin Can Wait - Kevin James

- The Great Indoors - Joel McHale

- Pure Genius - Reshma Shetty

- The Good Place - Kristen Bell

Midseason shows of interest:

- Time After Time

- Blacklist spinoff

To recap last year, I only ended up keeping three new network shows: Rosewood, Supergirl, and Legends of Tomorrow. Really like the first two, but only pretty much keep up with LoT so I don't get lost on crossovers with the other DC universe shows.

Bruh, I am so done with Arrow (Felicity & Friends.) Basically just waiting to binge watch The Flash and make that my only show. Guggenheim.

Bruh, I am so done with Arrow (Felicity & Friends.)

I'm hoping they move more away from the Felicity element this season and get back more towards the action of the first couple of years. I know there's a large section of their fan base that loves they will they/won't they get back together aspect that has taken over the last two seasons but there are more than enough shows like that already. They've apparently added several characters so it should be a different look at least to start.

• 2 weeks later...

As I'm finally getting closer to watching the end of BrainDead, I feel like mentioning the best part of that show was the 'Previously On' musical jingle at the start of each episode.  More shows need to do stuff like that...

Nice, the embed YouTube feature works well...just copy/paste the link and the rest happens on its own.

• 3 years later...

What's everyone watching these days?

I'm still keeping up with all the Arrowverse shows, with the exception of Black Lightning. I watched all of season 1, but never really got into it. Maybe I should give it another chance, though, since I also didn't care for season one of Legends, which has become BY FAR my favorite Arrowverse show. Looking forward to the new Batwoman, as I didn't really care for Ruby Rose in the show. Not sure how they can resolve the Alice storyline without her, though, so maybe she at least comes back to film what should have been the end of the season.

Still going strong on the final season of The 100. I've really liked the last couple seasons. My co-workers and I watch Manifest and Blacklist, but at this point we mainly just gripe about them instead of being excited by them. Enjoying the Magnum and MacGyver reboots, though this season of MacGyver was not great. Same can be said of Last Man Standing. The show just isn't as good without Eve and the original Mandy.  NCIS and NCIS:LA are still chugging along enjoyably.

Favorite shows at the moment are probably The Good Doctor and The Rookie.  Really interesting premise for The Good Doctor and The Rookie would be enjoyable even without Nathan FIllion. I'll admit that like Colin, I've got a bit of a man-crush on him.

I mentioned Speechless as being decent a few years ago, but I came to really love it and missed it a lot this year. I'm also going to miss God Friended Me. It was such a nice, feel good show that is too rare these days. And will long miss Big Bang Theory, though at least Young Sheldon fills some of that void. Wallace Shawn in the best!

What am I watching right now?  Reruns - lots and lots of reruns...

About 60% of the shows you named are ones I watch so rather than rehash those, I'll toss in the Chicago trio of series plus the two FBI ones.  Speaking of Dick Wolf shows, I'm looking forward to Chris Meloni's return to Law and Order with the organized crime spinoff.  SVU went downhill in a hurry when he left.

Same as Trizz, can't watch anything on TV anymore with a 2yo and a 1 month old.

It's Netflix all the way.

I just started  Bojack Horseman.  2 épisodes in so far.  I laughed just enough to keep going for a few more episodes to see if I'll go the whole way with this show.

Oh, and I just finished House.  I'd never watched it during its original run and came across it on a bored Saturday morning early in the pandemic. The channel aired 6+ episodes per weekday, so I quite quickly filled up my DVR with 5 seasons and got to 95% full, haha. Watched enough eps that the next time the series came around and I was able to record the last three seasons. I liked most everyone that they added over the years, but the early episodes were still mostly the best. Except the end of season 4 and early season 5 was probably the best short stretch of the show.

I've also been re-watching Scrubs along with the podcast, which has been fun. I'd gotten sick of the show a while back, but am really glad I'm getting back into it. Thanks for the heads up about that, Trizzak!

On 7/15/2020 at 8:12 PM, Fanpuck33 said:

Oh, and I just finished House.  I'd never watched it during its original run and came across it on a bored Saturday morning early in the pandemic. The channel aired 6+ episodes per weekday, so I quite quickly filled up my DVR with 5 seasons and got to 95% full, haha. Watched enough eps that the next time the series came around and I was able to record the last three seasons. I liked most everyone that they added over the years, but the early episodes were still mostly the best. Except the end of season 4 and early season 5 was probably the best short stretch of the show.

I've also been re-watching Scrubs along with the podcast, which has been fun. I'd gotten sick of the show a while back, but am really glad I'm getting back into it. Thanks for the heads up about that, Trizzak!

Agree about House ... it was as fourmulaic as any police procedural b(diagnosis, diagnosis, diagnosis, death's bed, diagnosis) but it was brilliantly written and acted, as well as tackling (very well) some serious issues ... for example, House's time in the psychiatric hospital and Chase's "interaction" with a brutal dictator ... and Hugh Laurie was brilliant, making a relatively terrible "person" likeable.

Finally watched Amazon's Jack Ryan ... first season was a bit better but both enjoyable ... from a purist's perspective it was slightly annoying that Jack's presumptive wife-to-be Cathy was not, as previously, an opthalmic surgeon for purely story-driven reasons ... but, like the tweaks Marvel introduced to its characters in the Marvel Universe movies, it was inconsequential (now don't talk to me about the DC movies).