245 Goals to score

Easy Ryder

Thanks, I was unsure. Plus the kid scored I believe 18 goals. Maybe he can up that to 26 goals this year....

Player development is rarely a straight linear progression. We need to get out of the habit that all of our young players will improve with each season. Some will regress. I'm not saying Lats will, but it's a possibility. Wouldn't be the first time it happened.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Player development is rarely a straight linear progression. We need to get out of the habit that all of our young players will improve with each season. Some will regress. I'm not saying Lats will, but it's a possibility. Wouldn't be the first time it happened.

That is why I said maybe....

Looking at his developement so far, I would be amazed if he regressed in any aspect of the game. You are right some guys go backwaard, however I do not believe this will be the case this time.

I fear a bit of the Sophmore (jinx) if you will for Latendresse. I hope this does not happen but it is possible and I am not expecting anything special from him this season he is still very young and there is no reason to get upset with him as long as it looks like he is working hard on a regular basis. If he needs a trip or two to Hamilton throughout the year or needs to be a healthy scratch once in a while that will not hurt him.

2 or 3 years down the road I expect a lot from him.

He'll be playing with better players this year. I actually expect more ice time. No way he goes down. His game wasn't that bad.

There are plenty of players before him who need to go to Hamilton for some"work".

I can be honest and say I wasn't really impressed with Latendresse's play to start with. Nothing bad, but nothing outstanding either (I know, he was 19). I expect about the same from him this year, although if he gets some time to park in front of the net on the PP, his numbers should go up. It also seems that he's mentally come around since the DiMaio hit, which will help him continue opening up his physical play as well.

The player I am most uncertain about at this point in Plekanec (as far as repeating last year's performance). 2 years ago, Higgins ended the season hot, and he continued to produce well, until his injury. Hopefully, Plekanec can follow the same trend. I'm also curious how much slack he will get (from fans and media) if he does slump. A lot of people have lamented the fact that Gainey has not secured a true top 2 center for the team. I'll refrain from saying a number 1 center to avoid the Koivu 1a. 1b debate. Will the media and fans start jumping on Plekanec if he doesn't produce at his season ending pace?

Will the media and fans start jumping on Plekanec if he doesn't produce at his season ending pace?

I would hope that they would put the blame where it belongs and crucify Bob Gainey rather than Plekanec. It's not really fair to expect this guy to continually play way above his level because of management's failings.

Bottom line is anyone who does not perform will be jumped on by the media and management. All I'd ask and I'm sure any fan would ask is for average production. Special would be nice but average is better. Lets not under perform, over achieving is fine. but no lets downs.

Edited by Chips

• 3 months later...

A look back at a precamp wondering for indviduals stats.

Prediction on pace throught 11/05/07

New players: 27 was expecting 33. -6

Underproduce last year : 57 was expecting 47 +10

Average production : 109 was expecting 105 +4

Questionnable : 47 was expecting 55 -8

Players Didn't expected : 11 expecting 0 +11

There is always some surprise, just for the fun of it i will look at this later in the season.

Will this team has a chance to score more goals than 245 they scored last year.

The way i see it they couln't score more then 230.

The players who left brought 74 goals last year.

Souray(26) Bonk (13) Johnson (11) Samsonov(9) Perezhoghin (6) Rivet (6) Murray (2) Downey (1)

The new arrivals have an average production of 33 **11-05-07 maybe 27 goals

Hamrlik(7) Smolinski(18)(-?) Kostopoulos (8)

Hammer(1) Smolinski (1) Kostopolos(1) **11/05/07 Smolinski will have a hard time reaching 18, he will score 12

goals at most. Hammer and Kostopolos may reach these numbers.

Some players underproduced last year if they could deliver 18 goals more total 47**11/05/07 maybe 57 goals

Markov 6(12) Kovalev 18 (25) Bégin 5 (10)

Markov (4) Kovalev (7) Bégin (1) **11/05/07 Markov may reach 20, Kovalev 30(see page 1 Chris comment) Bégin (7)

Prediction by average production with 105 goals=**11/05/07 109 goal

Koivu(20) Ryder (30) Higgins(25) Plekanek (20) Komisarek (4) Bouillon(3) Dandenault (2) Gorges (1)

Koivu(4)ok Ryder(2)>15 Higgins (6)=30 Plek (3)=20 Komisarek(1)=5! Bouillon(0)ok Dandenault(3)<15 Gorges (1) ok

Questionnable ?? 55**47 goals without Lapierre, breakthrough Chipchura

Streit (10) Latendresse(20) Kotstitsyn (10) Lapierre(10) Chipchura(5)

Streit(2) ok Latendresse (2)>15 Kots(1)ok Lapierre>0 Chipchura(2)<12

Players didn't expected

Grabovski(1)<6 goals

Brisebois (1) < 5 goals

So what i see there that hurts the most is the lack of scoring from our defensemen.

Maybe bringing PKSubban thundershot in the NHL is not such a bad idea.