245 Goals to score

Easy Ryder

Kovalev will have a 30+ goal season and a 81 point year if:

1) he is with Koivu on first line

2) he gets first PP unit time

3) he gets puck support

4) he isnt put to slave work by killing penalties

Exactly, take him out of the PK. We have enough depth in PK to let him breathe 2 min... Same for Ryder.

If Latendresse scored about 15-20 last year, I can't see how Kostitsyn wouldn't do the same and even more this year. I also think Smolinski could feed his teammates way better than Bonk and make a 3rd line way more scoring thant former checking line whe had for so long.

If the Habs follow Buffalo's model with 3 offensive line and a 4th "2 ways-checking" line, that should increase our numbers of goals on the 5 on 5 ice time.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Souray -28 had a direct effect on the whole +/- of the first line, the first line was often combined to the Souray-Rivet duo.

Bonk line and Markov Komo were always opposed to the best players on the other team and they had good numbers.

So it's not all Saku's fault if he had a -26 last even though he cannot wash his hand clean of this, he has to turn this over this year.

Aebisher 3.17 average in 32 games will not be numbers that we will see from our goaltenders this year too. A goalie with a 2.80 average

would make 12 goals against less.

But we still have to score goals and at least 250 to make the playoffs. And this is where i have the most doubts.

I'm not blaming any one player. They lost as a group and changes needed to be made. I think Saku will have a better year in the +/- just as an example. Losing Aebisher and having a healthy Huet I hope will also reduce the +/- differential for many players.

You are right they have to score goals, but stopping those bad ones and stopping real DUMB penalties can sure make a difference in a playoff quest.

Exactly, take him out of the PK. We have enough depth in PK to let him breathe 2 min... Same for Ryder.

If Latendresse scored about 15-20 last year, I can't see how Kostitsyn wouldn't do the same and even more this year. I also think Smolinski could feed his teammates way better than Bonk and make a 3rd line way more scoring thant former checking line whe had for so long.

If the Habs follow Buffalo's model with 3 offensive line and a 4th "2 ways-checking" line, that should increase our numbers of goals on the 5 on 5 ice time.

I'd like to see a swing line, either have the second and third lines play checking roles or the third and fourth, depending on who is on those lines. Plekanec, Higgins, Koivu and Smolinski will be the main penalty killing forwards, and if Carbo can find a third duo to put into use (Begin if he stays, Chipchura if he makes the team, Lapierre), that could both cut down on the overall ice time of the top forwards and stabilize the penalty killing through the season. It would also help if they took less penalties, and maybe allow for a shift in philosophy from a passive forecheck to more of a puck-possession game.

I dont care how many goals we score next year. What BG discovered last year, is that the number of goals you give up is what matters.

Remember game #82 ? 5-3 lead. 6-5 loss. Playoff spot gone.

Souray minus 28 gone....Hamrlik plus 22 in.

What's the point of having three solid goaltenders if the team is giving up 32.7 shots per game ? Only Boston ( 33.5 ) and Washington ( 33.3 ) were worse.

I think BG's plan is simple. Less goals against....more wins.

Like wise men have said....in Bob we trust.

I still maintain that Kovy played hurt most of last year.. his numbers will rise dramatically this year.

At least I hope so. :D

Our goal-scoring future is really contingent on whether Higgins, Pleks, Kosty and Lats can step it up.

I dont care how many goals we score next year. What BG discovered last year, is that the number of goals you give up is what matters.

What's the point of having three solid goaltenders if the team is giving up 32.7 shots per game ? Only Boston ( 33.5 ) and Washington ( 33.3 ) were worse.

at some level hockey is a zero-sum game. I imagine (hope?) that with a stronger defense, the habs will get to spend less time on defense, thus giving them more time slamming the offensive zone, thus getting both fewer GA and more GF.

smart post. (plantagenet! havent been there in a while....)

I still maintain that Kovy played hurt most of last year.. his numbers will rise dramatically this year.

At least I hope so. :D

Our goal-scoring future is really contingent on whether Higgins, Pleks, Kosty and Lats can step it up.

even if your theory is true, what if he's hurt again this year?

even if your theory is true, what if he's hurt again this year?

Then i reiterate how important it is that Higgins, Pleks, Kosty and Lats step it up.

Then i reiterate how important it is that Higgins, Pleks, Kosty and Lats step it up.

well, that I completely agree with, but Kovy redeeming himself and having a great year... I'm not holding my breath. if it happens, I'll be pleasantly surprised, but no expectations...

Kovalev has 37 goals in 2003. A number of years ago but it's also an easier league to score in since that year. He would have likely had around 27 goals in 2006 if he didn't miss 13 games. It's certainly within striking distance to think Kovalev could acheive 30 goals with the right PP time and line-mates.

Higgins had a stellar half season 2 seasons ago and scuffled a little bit last year. Pleks had a great half season last year.

Those are the simple signs of young players who are still developing at the NHL level. As they gain consistency they will excel.

Kosty is likely going to enter the NHL more ready then those 2 were IMHO. So I could see him stepping in right away. He's also a more dynamic offensive player then Higgins and Pleks. I'd be surprised if Kosty doesn't step in and score at least 15 goals to be honest. Latendresse will be a question mark IMO...I know half the people around here are in love with the guy but I could see him spending time in the AHL this year. Especially if Kosty plays on the 2nd line...they may let Lats get minutes in the AHL to work on parts of his game.

I agree that the Habs D should be better but I also think their offense will be better.

Lats can't go to the AHL.

He is on the big club to stay, he brings what few Habs players have, he hits, plays in front of the net and good hands.

He'll be paired with Kiovu or Smoke.

lats had very similar numbers as Kovalev with alot less ice time.

It's certainly a possibility if the young guns step up.

I can see the Canadiens having a bunch of 20 goal scorers, doubt Kovy will break the 30 goal barrier, Ryder might (if he sticks around). Latendresse and Plekanec could break 20. Higgins I would suggest can hit the 30 goal barrier if he puts it all together for a complete season. Koivu hopefully will post another good season.

Plekanec broke 20 last year so it would be a bit of a disappointment if he regressed this season.

In his stint with Montreal, Kostitsyn has had way more assists than goals so it seems like he may be a 10 goal, 40 assist type this season. That would be very good for a guy playing in his first full season. He would definitely give Plekanec and Higgins a chance to break 30 (Higgins with more of a shot than Plekanec).

but Latendresse was used as a complimentary player on a line and just to get garbage goals. A guy like Kovalev always needs to be the star on the line and possibly the star on the team. Talented offensive players need the icetime to keep warm. Hustling power forwards like Lats can fit in anywhere and don't really need to stay warm - he just needs to go to the net.

He is on the big club to stay, he brings what few Habs players have, he hits, plays in front of the net and good hands.

Ya, those are the two most likely options for him. I see Lats starting with SMokes and moving to the top line like last year if they need him. I just hope the keep Higgs-pleks-kost together!

but Latendresse was used as a complimentary player on a line and just to get garbage goals. A guy like Kovalev always needs to be the star on the line and possibly the star on the team. Talented offensive players need the icetime to keep warm. Hustling power forwards like Lats can fit in anywhere and don't really need to stay warm - he just needs to go to the net.

Well, guys like Plekanec, Koivu and Ryder produced more with less icetime and they didn't really score "garbage goals".

Well, guys like Plekanec, Koivu and Ryder produced more with less icetime and they didn't really score "garbage goals".

Well Ryder isn't very good at all at creating his own shot, he usually waits for a pass and one-times it in (aside for that time he toe-dragged the guy in Washington). Plekanec and Koivu are just better players, faster skaters and harder workers than Kovalev - that's why they score more.

at some level hockey is a zero-sum game. I imagine (hope?) that with a stronger defense, the habs will get to spend less time on defense, thus giving them more time slamming the offensive zone, thus getting both fewer GA and more GF.

Exactly. Less shots against = less opposition puck possession = more Habs puck possession = more GF.

I think that was Einstein's 9th Law of Physics, but I could be mistaken.

smart post. (plantagenet! havent been there in a while....)

Lucky you. ( JK ). :unsure:

The chipwagon still rocks tho. Patati-Patata or something like that....

YES HE CAN

Latendresse can play for the Bulldogs this season.

YES HE CAN

Latendresse can play for the Bulldogs this season.

Doubt it. Would he have to clear wavers if called back? I am not smart on these things...

Plus, Montreal is a smaller team and can use his size and willingness to knock somebody into next week. :ninja:

Doubt it. Would he have to clear wavers if called back? I am not smart on these things...

Plus, Montreal is a smaller team and can use his size and willingness to knock somebody into next week. :ninja:

latendresse doesn't have to go through waivers

Last year, Souray had the hot hand. Understandably this lead to guys passing him the puck and letting him shoot. I'm hoping a guy like Markov and a few others take more shots which should lead to more scoring from them.