Nice interview HW on Ryan O'Byrne

Everyone seems to love the article, and I don't want to rain on anyone's parade, but I found the article to be a bit boring; it is never interesting to me to read a list of questions and answers. What I would do to make it more interesting is to pick the to 10-15 questions, ask them, and then listen to the response ... then ask the interviewee a subsequent question based on the response. A good interview will often use the pre-selected questions as a springboard in to more personal and detailed questions ... all based on what the interviewee just said.

For example: What is your favorite movie? Transformers. Were you rooting for the autobots or for the decepticons? Or, in this league, who reminds you of "optimus prime" the most?

You get the idea ;)

Looking forward to future reads.

That all sounds great, but it defeats the purpose of having people write in with questions. I Followed the method you describe with a Corey Locke interview I did. I thought the interview went great, until I compared the audio tape to my initial questions list. Truth be told, I got sidetracked and didn't ask the questions I wanted answered in the time I had to work with.

Also, This isn't a chat with an old friend to the players. It's an interview that they want to spend 30 mins or less doing so they can go about thier business.

Edited by Habitforming

That all sounds great, but it defeats the purpose of having people write in with questions. I Followed the method you describe with a Corey Locke interview I did. I thought the interview went great, until I compared the audio tape to my initial questions list. Truth be told, I got sidetracked and didn't ask the questions I wanted answered in the time I had to work with.

Also, This isn't a chat with an old friend to the players. It's an interview that they want to spend 30 mins or less doing so they can go about thier business.

The trick is not to get side tracked! Also, interviewing should be like a chat with an old friend ... you have to get your subject comfortable, and out of the zone of answering stock questions. When you see professional interviewers interviewing, they often do just that: they create a very comfortable and friendly environment. If you think about that show with Kelly Rudy (not offering him up as a prime example, just a convenient one) and that other dude who interview after some western hockey games, they will use questions that have been submitted on the internet. However, they just don't stick to what was written on the internet, but they ask follow-up questions about what the person asked to get deeper.

JMHO.

I like it just fine as it is, habitforming. If you want (and if you feel like you ahve time), add one or two follow ups to go deeper when the answers aren't that clear or are especially interesting... but otherwise, don't worry about it.