The Cube

SAKS-AVENUE

Uh...put it this way. If a rookie comes along and has a great camp - not a nice AHL season, not nice notices on Internet boards - and is clearly NHL ready up against NHL competition (even if it's only preseason), then you keep him and dress him. Guys like Dandy and Cube start competing for the final spot.

If after, oh, I dunno, 30 or 40 games, that youngster still hasn't played himself off the team, and is still clearly a fine young player with a great upside who can play now without embarassing himself, then you move a vet.

And on the unlikely scenario that TWO rookie D-men have great camps, great preseasons, and roll right along into the regular season, then sure, move a vet earlier. But only after you've got the evidence of NHL readiness well in hand.

Not exactly rocket science, is it?

This isn't even worth debating anymore.

You add to what people are saying and sidestep the questions.

Are you a politician?

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You know that our defence has been crap for a long time when threads like this start. The Cube is an exciting little guy with heart and energy but a piss poor defenceman.

Only on a team blinded by years of poor play could a guy like Bouillon be considered a quality defenceman. This thread really baffles me.

I love these threads because of their ridiculousness.

We're talking a safe, 3rd pairing d-man here. We're not talking about a guy that shouldn't be in the NHL, but many think that. We aren't talking about a top 4 guy, but defenders of him will say that.

He had a bad year last year, which was the combination of a lot of things. 1) He was injured to start the year and never got in top shape before starting his season. 2) His D partner was also injured early and suffered as a result. 3) The entire team was awful as a collective around them.

All that being said, I never thought we should've re-signed him after 2005-06, because he was coming off his best season and it wasn't economically practical (better D were UFA's the next year, and we already had Dandy locked up as a lower pairing D guy long term to decent $$$, plus we had Streit who not many seemed to realize how good he was). But that's in the past. If O'Byrne is good enough to make the team I'm sure Streit will end up at F for a while again and injuries will take care of the rest of the holes down the line.

Yeah, this has been an interesting thread (setting aside the silly argument between myself and Habitforming), because of the wildly divergent opinions. Some think The Cube is the bee's knees, others that he's not an NHL defenceman. In the interests of neutrality, let's look at TSN's player evaluation:

Assets Demonstrates good work ethic and doesn't shy away from anyone--despite his small stature. Has solid puck-handling skills. Can log a lot of ice time.

Flaws Doesn't produce enough points. Has trouble handling big forwards in front of the net. Will always be under constant scrutiny because of his small frame.

Career potential Top six defenseman.

Now TSN isn't the be-all and end-all. But this at least suggests that Cube is widely viewed - not just by Habs' fans - as a bona-fide NHL player. I respect the 'he's not an NHLer' argument...but it's an outlier. The real debate, I think, should be around whether he is indeed 'one of the league's best 5th defencemen' or not, and whether he is overpaid. And, again, we shouldn't let his injury-addled season last year blind us to his virtues.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned enough is that Cube is one of the few guys we have who can actually rush the puck out of his own end with some competence. Not that he's Bobby Orr, but he has the wheels for that and does it from time to time.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

CUBIE is a small D-man. But, Montreal has made it work in the past with the likes of Mathieu schneider. Just look at his career. Its not been perfect all the way through he's had his fair share of injuries and difficult seasons. Thats life, in the real world.

However there are certain parts of the equation that must be answered for any player be it D-man, Forward or Goalie; Does he have the skills and can he still compete and will he be a learning adapting playing into the season and into the future? Finally is there chemistry with this player on our team and in our style of play as a franchise?

When you look at those questions. you can eliminate what may or may not happen in the course of a players career and bet on success. Afterall, all at the end of the day we are all gambling with lines combinations, trades and drafts.

You try to do everything to make your best guess and bet on a winning combination. As the years go by, things change and players change.

Cubie has met the requirements, but don't for a second think that management isn't analyzing his and his teammates value to the organization on a yearly, monthly or in the case of some game by game.

Do I like the Cube yes, has he earned his position yes, does he deserve to play yes, is his spot on the team a sure thing? Besides Koivu. and any one else with a no trade clause has the right to collect a pay cheque from the habs until their contract is done, but no one has a Guarantee of ICE time. Carbo. made that crystal clear last season.

So my advice to the Cube and every Habs player, from the rookies to the Vets; come out playing your game, with intensity and passion and compete for Le Canadiens, every night! Your future depends on it.

Do I like the Cube yes, has he earned his position yes, does he deserve to play yes, is his spot on the team a sure thing? Besides Koivu. and any one else with a no trade clause has the right to collect a pay cheque from the habs until their contract is done, but no one has a Guarantee of ICE time. Carbo. made that crystal clear last season.

So my advice to the Cube and every Habs player, from the rookies to the Vets; come out playing your game, with intensity and passion and compete for Le Canadiens, every night! Your future depends on it.

The good thing with the Cube is that he never has to be told these things. He's got a chip on his shoulder and has never been given anything by anybody in his hockey career. It's a definite reason I like him, and why some overrate him. Conversely, because he isn't obviously skilled is the reason he has haters.

"particularly me - would rather watch the Habs lose with Bouillon than win with someone better in his place"

??????????????????????????????

I suppose by your logic that would put me in the minority, because ideally I would like to see the habs win....

With or without Frankie B.

Honestly I just want the best players for our team...that does not only mean skill wise...but mentally as well...interms of work ethic etc...professionalism etc.

...rather watch the Habs lose with Bouillon than win with someone better in his place.

Holy #$%&"**.

You had me with the Mike Johnson-Maori tattoo thing. But talk about low expectations. You can always switch to the B's if you want losers.

Cube is a mediocre d-man, can fill minutes and at least you get max effort out of him, perfect for a bottom-end guy who can spell for a temp injury. He is replaceable but good for now. He'll get his minutes this year, next will be difficult for him.

I suppose by your logic that would put me in the minority, because ideally I would like to see the habs win....

I think I'm being misunderstood - of course no one wants the Cube on board if it means the difference between winning and losing. But it's so appealing to watch a small dude punch so far over his weight that it makes people blind themselves to the consequences of having him there. That's what makes him so dangerous to Habs fans.

I don't like Bouillon's contract. Can't wait for it to end.

I agree completely. I wasn't thrilled when he received the contract he has now. Heck, I wasn't thrilled to see him come back to the team after he was lost in the waiver draft. To me, having a "Bouillon" appreciation thread is like having a Jim Campbell appreciation thread. Haha, Soupy and Bouillon. I crack me up.

I agree completely. I wasn't thrilled when he received the contract he has now. Heck, I wasn't thrilled to see him come back to the team after he was lost in the waiver draft. To me, having a "Bouillon" appreciation thread is like having a Jim Campbell appreciation thread. Haha, Soupy and Bouillon. I crack me up.

The thread was mostly started because the need for underated cheap talent is growing in the new NHL. Like it or not after your first couple of lines the way salaries are going, cheap help will be necessary to fill out the rest of the team to compete. Boullion fits the bill. Hard worker, heavy hitter, cheap ,reliable shows up for evey game. I think he will have a great season this year. I truly thank him for his services at such a low cost.

Jim Campbell

Ahh, the good old days.

Campbell did score 28 goals in 44 games for the Fredericton Canadiens in 1996 :clap:

;)

I don't know man, 1.875M$ a season for Bouillon does look steep.

Not really, when Ryder is going to get 4 on monday, Don't be so tunnel visioned. Boullion is great for the money. What do you want a bunch of underachieving rookies that get $400 000 a year filling his shoes. I don't. That's just an excuse for when your losing. Just remember when Francis was getting that deal.....everyone in Habsland was " AAAAAHHHH man we have to keep The Cube". Now everyone thinks an appreciation thread is stupid and it baffles them. The same people that bashed Rivet probably. Well Rivet is happy and succesful with his new club and got a lot closer to the cup for san jose fans then his bashers did here on this site. All you guys did was bash him day in and day out. I suppose you just need to bash. Once the habs get the ball rolling the cube will be around drinking from the cup. He is a bigger part of this team then you all think, but continue to bash. I guess you don't know any better.

I hope you right S-A.

Everyone knows (including Bouillon) that he was awful last year but I am certain he will work hard and be in shape this season lets see what October and November bring.

For sure I was happy when he signed. I didn't like the money he got though. I'm just happy Bob didn't fork the 2.2M$ a season he wanted. I'm still hoping he becomes a force this season and proves last season was only a one-time deal.

• 3 months later...

I would agree that Boullion has had an OK start to the season, but i would still rather see an upgrade. Give Gorges some of the Cube's icetime, as i can live with Boullion as the 6th or 7th d-man, but would rather have him elsewhere at 1.8 million. Rather see a bruising tougher d-man filling his role. As tough as the Cube trys to play, he cannot handle the larger forwards and his offensive skill is very limited. For the Habs to get to the next level, it is unfortunate that the Cube should not be a part of that.

He has got better each game but when he plays more than 12 minutes you can see where he has problems.

yup. Basically he's playing well right now, but I think he's one of the guys you won't see in a Habs uni for too much longer. If we can't trade him cuz his contract's too big, we certainly won't be resigning him. THose who keep track of this stuff, how much longer does he have on his current deal?