Lowe Gives Offer Sheet to Penner....

kenadian

K-Lowe is doing pretty smart stuff. If no one wants to come to his team, driving up the value of players in the market will make it so that players will have to sign with Edmonton because all the money has been spent elsewhere.

But to be honest, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks are bit excessive. Last time something like that went down it was for Shanahan, and he was really worth it.

K-Lowe is doing pretty smart stuff. If no one wants to come to his team, driving up the value of players in the market will make it so that players will have to sign with Edmonton because all the money has been spent elsewhere.

But to be honest, the 1st, 2nd, and 3rd picks are bit excessive. Last time something like that went down it was for Shanahan, and he was really worth it.

In this case it is excessive and the 2008 draft is supposed to be good is it not? Who is our hockey expert here on the juniour ranks......

In this case it is excessive and the 2008 draft is supposed to be good is it not? Who is our hockey expert here on the juniour ranks......

I am not expert but it looks to be a deep and talented draft.

I've heard that the 2008 draft is supposed to make the 2003 draft look like the 1999 draft.

There, make sense out of that. :P

I like that everyone complains how much he paid though. As an RFA, you have to overpay. You need to make it harder for the other team to match the offer if you want said player. Lowe probably realizes Penner isn't worth 4.3 mil but wants him enough that he wants to put the pressure on Burke. Although it's funny, for another mil they could have Ryan Smyth and happier fans.

Not that I'm complaining *gazes at avatar*

With the fact that he still hasn't offically said he's going to match ... I don't think he's going to ... They have Bobby Ryan as well who should be about ready to go and could fill Penner's spot.

With the fact that he still hasn't offically said he's going to match ... I don't think he's going to ... They have Bobby Ryan as well who should be about ready to go and could fill Penner's spot.

There is no reason for Burke to tell Edmonton what he is going to do in advance. If he is going to match, he makes life more difficult for Lowe by not matching until the last minute. Until Burke matches, Edmonton cannot make an offer to any other RFA since they need to be in control of their draft picks when they sign an RFA to an offer sheet. The fact that nothing has happened yet doesn't really tell us anything about what Burke will do.

Edited by Peter Puck

So I guess todays the seventh day. Is Penner an Oiler if the Ducks don't match today?

If I remember correctly, Burke has to make his decison by tomorrow so he still has a day.

But if they're losing Teemu then Penner was one of the guys they needed to step up and play a larger role. It's a very long shot that Ryan will come close to Penner's 29 goals in his rookie season.

I'd be a little ticked off today if I was an Oiler's fan...........giving up a 1st 2nd and 3rd for Penner. I wouldn't put him in the same league as Vanek, but he could pick his game up and play a bigger role in Edmonton......

So the defending Stanley Cup Champs make out OK on this deal.......IMO. Knowing Burke he's already got those picks/players packaged for a future trade.

With the addition of Pitkanen, Garon, Souray and Penner Edmonton will not finish dead last.

On paper they have a team that is far superior than people give them credit for.

Penner, Selanne and Niedermayer will be hard to replace for the Ducks, not so mighty this year.

With the addition of Pitkanen, Garon, Souray and Penner Edmonton will not finish dead last.

On paper they have a team that is far superior than people give them credit for.

Penner, Selanne and Niedermayer will be hard to replace for the Ducks, not so mighty this year.

They also lost players. Lupol, Smith, Sykora. I don't think adding Garon will do a ton for them, isn't Roloson still their #1?

Souray's now their highest paid player. Followed by, Penner.

T I don't think adding Garon will do a ton for them, isn't Roloson still their #1?

Au contraire, a back-up can do a lot if you want to make sure your #1 is well rested, or incase on an injury. When Huet went down, many people attributed his shoddy play as part of the reason we missed the playoffs ... and it is hard to disagree that a better goalie may have stolen a few more points than Abbie did, or at least not lose as many ;)

I personally think that this was a good tactic (offering offer sheets to dominant teams to boost up their payroll, and make it harder for every team to sign all their big guys, however, Penner may be the wrong guy to gamble on. I think that the value of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd would probably out-weight Penner in the long run.

They also lost players. Lupol, Smith, Sykora. I don't think adding Garon will do a ton for them, isn't Roloson still their #1?

Souray's now their highest paid player. Followed by, Penner.

Lupul was a total disaster in Edmonton with no playmaker to fit his scoring skills. He is a puck dumper, will fit well with

Brière and Gagné, if he doesn't score there he will never score 30 again.

Smith, i compare to Rivet, he is losing speed with age and could not get back in position fast enough anymore. Philly has

again slow defenders Hatcher, Rahtje and Smith.

Sykora is playing when he has contract years, he started great but finished poorly last season.

Roloson is their aging number one but Garon is way better then any second goalie they had since Roloson is there.

I really think that they got better half of the deal with the Flyers with Pitkanen who is gonna be all over the place on the best ice of the league

with his fast,smooth skating.

Anyway they are my second favorite team in NHL and my judgment is maybe too favorable to them as much as my judgment is

too favorable for the Habs.

Au contraire, a back-up can do a lot if you want to make sure your #1 is well rested, or incase on an injury. When Huet went down, many people attributed his shoddy play as part of the reason we missed the playoffs ... and it is hard to disagree that a better goalie may have stolen a few more points than Abbie did, or at least not lose as many ;)

I personally think that this was a good tactic (offering offer sheets to dominant teams to boost up their payroll, and make it harder for every team to sign all their big guys, however, Penner may be the wrong guy to gamble on. I think that the value of a 1st, 2nd, and 3rd would probably out-weight Penner in the long run.

True, but with the players in front of the goalies...the duo will have to save them on a lot of night. Was Markkanen that bad for them last year? As much as people do rag on Aebischer for his late season collapse, he saved the Habs hide quite a bit when Huet wasn't hot out of the gates. I'll say his woes balance out over the course of the season. (I'm not saying I want him back, mind you.)

However, back to the original point. I was merely responding to the poster that said the Oilers are better than people think. I don't think the players listed are the type that are going to turn the Oilers team around. Penner? Souray? Garon? Given the reaction when Gainey signed Hamrlik, people would've gone through the roof at the contract just handed to Penner.

Who is projected to go 1st overall in 2008? If the Oilers are dead last, this could be a disaster. Imagine if this cost them a "Crosby"?

Well the idea is that getting Penner will make them not dead last. I'd take Penner over those picks - very rarely do rookies get as many goals as he did last year. And he was playing on a line with two other rookies.

Who is projected to go 1st overall in 2008? If the Oilers are dead last, this could be a disaster. Imagine if this cost them a "Crosby"?

It won't be John Tavares, despite what his agents may want. John's gotta remind them that it's his decision, his career. They work for him, not the other way around.

Well, their pick will probably be somewhere in the range of 5-10, based on their current roster I would assume.

It's possible though that they might surprise and be in the playoff mix - Pitkanen is a good player, Souray will make their PP lethal and guys who slumped horribly last year like Horcoff, Torres and Pisani might play well this season. With the addition of Penner, you're looking at a forward corps that isn't great, but has size and could do well in a crash and bang system.

You have to remember that second half when they went into the shitter, they were horribly injury-plagued. Guys like Hemsky, Torres, Pisani were missing lots of time. Then to deal the face of the franchise for nothing to come back on the roster pretty much deflated the entire season.

This is a team that should not be taken lightly next season and can do some damage. The division they're in hurts though because I think the other 4 teams are all better and thats almost half the season right there.