Habs Sign Brisebois

InsaneHABSfan

Yesterday, my worst Habs nightmare has come true. Brisebois is back. :angry::wall: :puke:

For any length of time Brisebois is in the lineup, he's blocking the progress of any Habs farmhand / prospect / 7th or 8th defenceman on the team. That by itself is detrimental enough for the Habs. When you compound it with all the bad plays he will make, and I guarantee they will happen, in 2007-08, this signing is a step or two backwards for the Canadiens organization.

It's official

the wood is back

http://www.rds.ca/hockey/

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deceiving part is that the Dogs win the Calder Cup but no one of the player is considered NHL ready.

Hopefully Lahti is gonna be good but Grabovski is 23 years old played with the best Russia team the Dynamo,

came to America adapted very well, neara point a game, played all post season hurt and helped win a Calder Cup.

What the guy has to do to get a real chance?

Smolinski played 14 season in the NHL never won a cup, never won anything. Chipchura won a gold medal as a captain

at World Junior and played a major role at winning the Calder Cup last year. I call this a winner, a leader, that is what i

want in a team.

The deceiving part is that the Dogs win the Calder Cup but no one of the player is considered NHL ready.

Hopefully Lahti is gonna be good but Grabovski is 23 years old played with the best Russia team the Dynamo,

came to America adapted very well, neara point a game, played all post season hurt and helped win a Calder Cup.

What the guy has to do to get a real chance?

Smolinski played 14 season in the NHL never won a cup, never won anything. Chipchura won a gold medal as a captain

at World Junior and played a major role at winning the Calder Cup last year. I call this a winner, a leader, that is what i

want in a team.

I'm sure Gainey feels like you do, but in case Grabs adjusts slowly or maby fails( same for Chips) having a 14 YEAR vet like Smokie around is a good thing. He may not have won a cup , but I don't think he has too many big failures either. What don't you get about Gainey's process?

I understand your frustrations but using your Logic why doesn't Gainey just demote the whole team and bring up all the DOGS. I mean Geez they won the Calder, They are true winners....Surely they would win the Stanley cup this year!!!!!!! :wacko:

Streit right now is a better puckmover than Breezy at age 36.

Carbo also likes to use him as a forward. I would assume Streit will be higher on the depth chart then Breeze anyway, unless Patrice proves through the year to be more useful. No matter what anyone says, in any of these discussions, at 700K..... Gainey brought in a very very usefull tool .He will help the Habs this year. Besides ....it's done! Live with it. It's all up to Patrice whether he rides the pine or becomes valuable.

While I'll agree that last season Bouillon was not playing as well as he has in the past. However, Dandenault clearly was worse, and was spared the embarrassment of being the team's worse dman due to Niinamaa. I'm predicting that Frankie will bounce back with a much better season in 2007-08. Dandenault represents a bigger problem. He has 2 seasons left on a contract, and he's lowered himself well down the Habs depth chart (behind Markov, Hamrlik, Komisarek, Bouillon, and Streit). At the moment, he's at a par with, sigh, Brisebois.

Go BREEZER Go, hope this means the end of the CUBE! Ship him out!

FYI,

No free agent this summer has taken a bigger pay cut than Brisebois. Shanahan and Bertuzzi are the only ones remotely close.

I will cheer for Brisebois no matter what. I will likely get frustrated at times and want to see him benched...but I always cheer for all the players on my team.

AND I think most people would agree that Bertuzzi is overpaid as well.

I will cheer for Patrice, as I do for all of the Habs. I will also groan, shake my head, bitch and moan, drink scotch, etc... when he merits it...

In any case, it brought a smile to my face when I read how excited Patrice was to be coming back, and how he taped his sticks already. NHLers should all want to play in Montreal that badly. I know I sure would.

Welcome back, Patrice. Let's hope your tenure works out better this time.

PS - I wonder if he's going to don #43 again, or stick to his Avs number.

Edited by lazy26

Really, there was a time when I would be quite pissed over this but I've passed the point of caring about such an insignificant move.

Yes, there are those who will argue that he will be blocking the progress of a prospect (but chances are O'Byrne won't be good enough anyway), and there are those who think this will lead to some big trade for a good player, or that Brisebois is heading for a superb year as a top 4 D, but I'm not in either camp.

Certainly this a typical boring Gainey move, but there's nothing else than he's able to do it seems (bye bye Danny Markov dream - Russia, Detroit or whereever the wind takes you).

From what I can tell, it looks like the writing is on the wall for trading one of Dandenault or Bouillon, while Gorges seems headed to the AHL. But, there's also the good chance that Mark Streit is probably going to be playing full time as a forward, which opens up room for Brisebois given that Gorges is demoted (which probably will happen).

Perhaps Brisebois has some "unfinished business" in Montreal. Anyhow, I hope he plays well, but I don't expect him to do much. He'll cause some hilarious blunders in the defensive zone (hey, that's replacing Souray in a sense!), but he does have good passing skills and paired with the right player, he could quietly play a good year with Montreal and then retire.

And as so many have pointed out - he's actually glad to play for Montreal. Obviously I doubt teams were lining up for this guy, but hey...he might have something to prove.

Just one question...off topic but, who the hell is Lahti, where did he come from and i've seen his stats and they aren't impressive, how can that lead him to potential #1 liner? Was he drafted? To me he's unknown and he used to be on the canadiens.com roster but he's not there now, i don't put him ahead of Chip, Grabs ot Kosti, he hasn't proved anything.

A question for the more business minded habs fans? If I'm correct, we are still under the salary cap I'm sure, but how much exactly? Also, I think we now have too many signed players on our roster to legally start the season. Can this problem be solved by demotion or only trade?

Welcome back BEEZER

The Habs have ~5.3 Million left under the cap and that is including the full 23 man roster. I have read that this puts the Habs over the 50 maximum signed players but i have also read that Breezer was the 48th signed player. We need confirmation on this.

Just one question...off topic but, who the hell is Lahti, where did he come from and i've seen his stats and they aren't impressive, how can that lead him to potential #1 liner? Was he drafted? To me he's unknown and he used to be on the canadiens.com roster but he's not there now, i don't put him ahead of Chip, Grabs ot Kosti, he hasn't proved anything.

Lahti was signed as a free agent from the finnish league. He was one of the top scorers in that league at a young age and had 8 goals in 9 playoff games this past spring. I don't know how he will adapt to NA hockey but Selanne said in an interview that he was a great signing and he has the skill to be a top line forward on the Habs.

Edited by Mr. Nasty

People, there is a stickied cap thread at the top of this forum, we update it as soon as moves are made, one of the reasons for this is to avoid "Where are we cap-wise" questions...please try to utilize this feature.

As for the actual cap space remaining, it comes in at $4,067,000 because all bonuses count against the cap at the start of the season, plus the 2 buyouts.

As for the 50-man roster limit, this is where we're at currently:

Habs: (these contracts + buyouts leave the team with the stated cap hit above)

Steve Begin

Francis Bouillon

Patrice Brisebois

Mathieu Dandenault

Josh Gorges

Jaroslav Halak

Roman Hamrlik

Christopher Higgins

Cristobal Huet

Michael Komisarek

Andrei Kostitsyn

Tom Kostopolous

Saku Koivu

Alexei Kovalev

Janne Lahti

Maxim Lapierre

Guillaume Latendresse

Andrei Markov

Garth Murray

Tomas Plekanec

Michael Ryder

Bryan Smolinski

Mark Streit

Bulldogs:

Andrew Archer

Mathieu Aubin

Mathieu Biron

Jimmy Bonneau

Mathieu Carle

Kyle Chipchura

Jean-Phillipe Cote

Matt D'Agostini

Yann Danis

Marvin Degon

Jonathan Ferland

Mikhail Grabovski

Sergei Kostitsyn

Loic Lacasse

Francis Lemieux

Corey Locke

Duncan Milroy

Ryan O'Byrne

Carey Price

Jamie Rivers

Ryan Russell

Gregory Stewart

Cory Urquhart

Pavel Valentenko

People, there is a stickied cap thread at the top of this forum, we update it as soon as moves are made, one of the reasons for this is to avoid "Where are we cap-wise" questions...please try to utilize this feature.

As for the actual cap space remaining, it comes in at $4,067,000 because all bonuses count against the cap at the start of the season, plus the 2 buyouts.

As for the 50-man roster limit, this is where we're at currently:

Habs: (these contracts + buyouts leave the team with the stated cap hit above)

Steve Begin

Francis Bouillon

Patrice Brisebois

Mathieu Dandenault

Josh Gorges

Jaroslav Halak

Roman Hamrlik

Christopher Higgins

Cristobal Huet

Michael Komisarek

Andrei Kostitsyn

Tom Kostopolous

Saku Koivu

Alexei Kovalev

Janne Lahti

Maxim Lapierre

Guillaume Latendresse

Andrei Markov

Garth Murray

Tomas Plekanec

Michael Ryder

Bryan Smolinski

Mark Streit

Bulldogs:

Andrew Archer

Mathieu Aubin

Mathieu Biron

Jimmy Bonneau

Mathieu Carle

Kyle Chipchura

Jean-Phillipe Cote

Matt D'Agostini

Yann Danis

Marvin Degon

Jonathan Ferland

Mikhail Grabovski

Sergei Kostitsyn

Loic Lacasse

Francis Lemieux

Corey Locke

Duncan Milroy

Ryan O'Byrne

Carey Price

Jamie Rivers

Ryan Russell

Gregory Stewart

Cory Urquhart

Pavel Valentenko

Thanks

Never noticed that. Does anyone know what Breezers bonus's might be?

Thanks

Never noticed that. Does anyone know what Breezers bonus's might be?

Details of the bonus are never made public, but it's safe to say that they are classified as all "A-level" bonuses. These are along the lines of incentive clauses - games played (I think that will be part of it), goals, hits, etc. The fact that the bonuses equal the base salary means they are maxed (A-level bonuses cannot exceed base salary levels.)

Breezers bonus might be , beaing funny "score a goal" :P but beaing realistic maybe includes, playing all 82 games, 15-20 goals, +-, the usual.

Breezers bonus might be , beaing funny "score a goal" :P but beaing realistic maybe includes, playing all 82 games, 15-20 goals, +-, the usual.

I doubt it's playing all 82 games since he has a 2% chance of actually doing that. Maybe he has to play 60+ games.

Anyways, like some of you have said, this move has very little significance, it will not make or break us so there's no point being mad over it.

If we have 4 million left why didnt we sign Danny Markov to whatever he wanted....

:hlogo:

gainey doens't have to reach the limit just because it's there.

Exactly, we are better on D this season coming up with our two additions as compared to last year, and it's cheaper.

You should go buy a Leafs jersey, you're a joke and what I would describe as a typical leafs fan. Whine and sulk over a move that hasen't had a negative effect on the team. We haven't even started the season yet and you are whining about a depth move. I am sure you'll be the first to jump right back on the wagon when we have a good year as well. This team is in fine shape, we will make the playoffs and depending on our goaltending we could do some damage.

All you whiners out there should at least wait until you have a reason to act like little bitches, give the team a couple of weeks, or at least let them get out of their golf shoes and into their skates before the bashing begins, I've never seen such a group of "Habs" fans that act like leaf fans in all my life as on this forum. Not to mention the fact that you STILL bash leaf fans and you're the exact same!!!!!

Ah, so the move had a positive effect you mean?

I'm sure Gainey feels like you do, but in case Grabs adjusts slowly or maby fails( same for Chips) having a 14 YEAR vet like Smokie around is a good thing. He may not have won a cup , but I don't think he has too many big failures either. What don't you get about Gainey's process?

I understand your frustrations but using your Logic why doesn't Gainey just demote the whole team and bring up all the DOGS. I mean Geez they won the Calder, They are true winners....Surely they would win the Stanley cup this year!!!!!!! :wacko:

Call me wacko, or whatever i don't care.

I said Grabovski and Chipchura are the players that i expected to have a chance this year,

i didn't mention all the team just the key players. Winners tend to win, losers tend to lose.

My last word on the subject is that one of the reason they said they bring Brisebois is to help the kids.

Kids what kids? At 23-24-25 they are not kids anymore and there will be no kids on defense.

What is done que sera sera, i will live with it i go to at leat 12 game a year and i will analyse

the moves in the season. We will talk about the moves then.

Winners tend to win, losers tend to lose.

That's such a ridiculous thing to say in a team sport like hockey. I guess Ray Bourque was just another loser while he was in Boston. I guess Dave Andreychuk was just some bum until he got a Cup in Tampa. I guess Rod Brind'Amour sucked until he got a Cup in Carolina. Obviously Smolinski isn't on the same level as those guys, but they do go to show that winning Cups doesn't make you a better player. Never winning a Cup doesn't make a guy a worse player. Using your logic, you'd rather have Grabovski on the top line than you would Koivu!

P.S. Smolinski won gold at the 1996 World Cup of Hockey.

With this being official, I hope the coach will now open up the offense with some actual plays. I know Brisebois can pass when not constantly harrassed. Nothing like watching Montreal shoot ins followed by cycle the puck..cycle the puck..cycle the puck.......... :huh:

I'm pretty sure Breezer will fit in the Habs leaning toward a speedier team (Harmlik over Souray, Smolinki over Bonk, Kosto over Murray/Ferland, etc). As long as Breezer can hit rushing forwards o the Habs can take advantage of the young speedy forwards like Higgins, Plex, Kosty it shouldnt handicap the Habs at all.

As for the issue of O'Byrne's development. It wont hurt him at all to play a 2nd pro season in the AHL. Defensemen are always longer to develop; bigger defensemen especially. That O'Byrne is so close already means he's way ahead of his projected development. One more full season in Hamilton will only do him good and make him much more ready when he makes the jump. Breezer and Dandy won't be there too long; so using that short span of time to spend extra development time on O'Byrne isnt a negative.