Habs Sign Brisebois

InsaneHABSfan

Brisebois lol what the ###### is this. I'm buying a jersey written Brisebois sucks, or wait, I'm gonna buy a leafs jersey instead so I don't get made fun of with habs jersey.

what in the name??..... u gotta be joking right?.... otherwise that comment is worth a nomination to get lynched or banned!

ok back to the story...

Another thing worth mentioning... is the fact that in signing Brisebois (at that rate).. BG got some sort of anchorage in terms of lower-end wages... you get a "wooden" stone on the other side (of the until now inflating) team wages balance... Making the whole team sort of ponder .."Hey am I playing to my worth?"... lol yeah right! well even if it's just for a second!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

?

Good signing. Is the Montreal Canadiens a worse team with Brisebois on the team?

I don't think so. Much improved? Don't think so either. But a cheap puck-moving defenceman that know the team and the what it takes to win in Montreal. Sixth defenceman and a leader that will be needed now when both Rivet and Souray are gone.

I'm not a big fan of the breeze, but BG must see something he likes.

As many have said........in Bob we trust.

Welcome back Patrice.

Let's hope this is a mutual success.

What gets my goat is that people are calling gainey out for this move, that really isnt that bad and is pretty cheap. Brisebois up until 2001 was a solid D man for the habs, i believe he's the top ten on the all time Habs D man list? according to TSN. Anyway regardless, the most important factor of this trade is the Brisebois has won a cup, IN MONTREAL. and not only did he win it here, he won it with muller and Carbo. We need people on the team who can lead with the absense of Rivet and Souray.

All i have to say i suppose is for people to lay off this move, it's not that bad, things can only improve, and stop acting like annoying brat fans that players state are the reason that montreal is a crappy city to play for. SUPPORT

One of our main problem last season was that aside from Markov almost no D could make a pass to a rushing forward to jump start the offense. Hamrlik and Brisebois are definitely better at it than Souray, Rivet or Niinimaa.

And I do believe its something BG and GC wanted to adress this summer.

I dont see Breezer having a big role anyway. A little regular time, a little PP time, a little rest when his wonky back acts out. I believe most of Breezer's contribution will be off the ice, helping out the kids and such.

Besides, how can anyone not give a little credit to the guy? He was mercilessly booed and picked on for years; and he still decided to come back when he could have found another place or retire. Might not mean anything to all the typical bashers; but I'm sure it'll mean something to the players.

And unlike K-Lo, we're not blowing cap space on unproven talent, with revolting $$$$$$.

Agreed.

Remember, apart from O'Byrne, we have no other prospects who would be better on defense than those we already have (the many 5/6s).

But in a few years time, when Brisebois retires, we'll have a few of Emelin, Valentenko, Korpikari or Korneev jumping to get in on the action (hopefully with a transfer agreement in place), while Carle, Cepek and Subban benefiting from AHL experience, and Fischer and McDonagh finishing college, and ready to work full-time on the back end of the Blew, Blank At Ruse :D

I'm actually more interested in what will happen with our Swiss 3rd rounder, Yannick Weber - will he hit the AHL this year?

Markov

Komisarek

Harmlik

Streit

Bouillon

Brisebois

Dandenault

Gorges

That makes 8 D, and thats not even counting any minor leaguers. So who get's kicked out of Montréal now?

Last year, we had 8 defencemen who played at least 41 games with the team (Markov, Souray, Rivet, Bouillon, Streit, Komisarek, Niinima, and Dandeneault). Injuries, illness and benchings mean there's plenty of work to go around, even if no one gets traded. Not to say that it's impossible someone gets traded if they feel that O'Byrne can contribute...

hey we got (officially) 4 (four) top 4 defensemen that can be on the starting line up at any time, I might add btw that two are right shots! not bad not bad at all!

if Bouillon and Streit or Dandy play to their number 5 potential then we got a descent defensive corps

One of our main problem last season was that aside from Markov almost no D could make a pass to a rushing forward to jump start the offense. Hamrlik and Brisebois are definitely better at it than Souray, Rivet or Niinimaa.

And I do believe its something BG and GC wanted to adress this summer.

I dont see Breezer having a big role anyway. A little regular time, a little PP time, a little rest when his wonky back acts out. I believe most of Breezer's contribution will be off the ice, helping out the kids and such.

Besides, how can anyone not give a little credit to the guy? He was mercilessly booed and picked on for years; and he still decided to come back when he could have found another place or retire. Might not mean anything to all the typical bashers; but I'm sure it'll mean something to the players.

If I can get tickets for the first game of next season, I will give him a standing ovation. He really deserves one. The guy has one huge set of kojones.

IMO, he will start as our 5th or 6th dman, but will end up being our real #4.

I don't know if any of you remember, but one of Brisebois' best season (maybe not stats wise, but overall) was when paired with Weinrich, while used as #2.

It all crumbled when Weinrich left... Briser inherited the #1 and the 4M contract.

Well, in my books, Hamrlik is a way faster, better, more rounded, grittier dman than Weinrich. Giving a "perfect" partner for Patrice.

Brisebois might very well be our #3 point getter on D. His offensive instinct is way better than anyone besides Markov and Hamrlik and his defensive play, IMO is better than Streit (although I would have to check again I guess...)

In depth analysis in french on my blog... ;)

If I can get tickets for the first game of next season, I will give him a standing ovation. He really deserves one. The guy has one huge set of kojones.

IMO, he will start as our 5th or 6th dman, but will end up being our real #4.

I don't know if any of you remember, but one of Brisebois' best season (maybe not stats wise, but overall) was when paired with Weinrich, while used as #2.

It all crumbled when Weinrich left... Briser inherited the #1 and the 4M contract.

Well, in my books, Hamrlik is a way faster, better, more rounded, grittier dman than Weinrich. Giving a "perfect" partner for Patrice.

Brisebois might very well be our #3 point getter on D. His offensive instinct is way better than anyone besides Markov and Hamrlik and his defensive play, IMO is better than Streit (although I would have to check again I guess...)

In depth analysis in french on my blog... ;)

I will be at your side. I was talking about this tonight I hope he gets the loudest cheer next seaosn for the home opener. I was not a Brisebois fan in-fact I really did not like him very much but I was just frustrutaed with how terrible of a team the Canadiens had. I wish him health and success with the Canadiens.

I will listen on the internet, open my window and shout "Allez Patrice" into the Tokyo Red Light district.

My guess is Brisebois would like to finish his career on a good note, best of luck to him and to the Habs this season. We ought to be careful, ripping Quebecois who don't want to play in Mtl no matter the offer, then ripping one who does want to play here and is coming back for like one-sixth of his old contract.

When he pulls on the jersey I will support him :hlogo:

I will listen on the internet, open my window and shout "Allez Patrice" into the Tokyo Red Light district.

My guess is Brisebois would like to finish his career on a good note, best of luck to him and to the Habs this season. We ought to be careful, ripping Quebecois who don't want to play in Mtl no matter the offer, then ripping one who does want to play here and is coming back for like one-sixth of his old contract.

When he pulls on the jersey I will support him :hlogo:

:clap::clap: me too!

FYI,

No free agent this summer has taken a bigger pay cut than Brisebois. Shanahan and Bertuzzi are the only ones remotely close.

I will cheer for Brisebois no matter what. I will likely get frustrated at times and want to see him benched...but I always cheer for all the players on my team.

Too much love for me.

My frustration is not on Brisebois back, it's more the sum of the moves. Acquiring a depth defensemen

doesn't make us miss playoffs, it will not make Habs making it either.

We are supposed to be stacked with hot prospects but there will be no place for them in the team except for Kots.

Instead of doing like the Sabres, Sharks and the Ducks and trust the kids to replace veterans we bring veterans to replace veterans.

Lahti, Smolinski, Kostopolos and Brisebois are five spots that could have been battled at the camp.

Grabovski, Chipchura, Ferland, O'byrne, Coté have no chance to crack the line up with established players in front

of them.

My problem with these established players is that they are not there as 1-2-3-4 defense or top six forwards, and they take

rookies place.

wow!

76% of around 5000 RDS subscribers me included (web version) are happy that Brisebois is back! !

I am pleasantly surprised to hear the number of supporting fans is high . (76% according to RDS and CoRvInA. Let's hope a strong welcome gets him on his game and somehow patrice pulls off a great career season. I hope his numbers are better then souray's in Edmonton.

A question for the more business minded habs fans? If I'm correct, we are still under the salary cap I'm sure, but how much exactly? Also, I think we now have too many signed players on our roster to legally start the season. Can this problem be solved by demotion or only trade?

Welcome back BEEZER

Too much love for me.

My frustration is not on Brisebois back, it's more the sum of the moves. Acquiring a depth defensemen

doesn't make us miss playoffs, it will not make Habs making it either.

We are supposed to be stacked with hot prospects but there will be no place for them in the team except for Kots.

Instead of doing like the Sabres, Sharks and the Ducks and trust the kids to replace veterans we bring veterans to replace veterans.

Lahti, Smolinski, Kostopolos and Brisebois are five spots that could have been battled at the camp.

Grabovski, Chipchura, Ferland, O'byrne, Coté have no chance to crack the line up with established players in front

of them.

My problem with these established players is that they are not there as 1-2-3-4 defense or top six forwards, and they take

rookies place.

lahti will battle for a spot at camp. He is 24 and I think he can reasonably be called a "kid" or "prospect." Kosto is probably the 13th forward, and I prefer not to have kids sitting in the press box.

The D is hard to project as I think there are enough guys around that a trade is likely. I think O'Byrne will get every shot in camp to play his way onto the D corps. I really don't see Cote as much of a prospect, more of injury filler.

I might agree with you about Smolinski v. Chipchura, but I think it is quite reasonable to think that Chips will do better to start on the 4th line rather than be immediately thrust into the shutdown centre position.

I think Grabs will be fighting with Lahti for a LW spot, and I think either of the two could need some more seasoning before prime time.

I think Brisebois will make a lot of people happy, but I also think that BG and Carbo will have no trouble moving Brisebois into the 7th D-Man slot if one of the kids pushes his way into the corps.

Don't forget that we have many young players with important roles on this roster already, such as Higgins, Pleks, Kostitsyn, Komisarek and even Lapierre. It's not like there is no youth on the team. There is value in having experience to pair with that youth. Is the balance imperfect at the moment? perhaps, but it is not so bad as I think you are portraying.

Edited by Fanpuck33

The only defenceman with even a chance of making the team at the start of the year is O'Byrne and some would argue even that. And if O'Byrne is good enough to make the team, he would still get a starting spot - Brisebois would steal Bouillon or Dandenault's (or Gorges') spot, not a rookies.

Also, Gainey knows that the young guys need icetime as his philosophy is building from within and he did ice a team with 6 rookies on it at the start of 05'-06'. He is adding guys like Kostopoulos because he doesn't think guys like Chipchura and Ferland can make our team and because he doesn't think guys like Grabovski are worth using on the fourth line.

Lahti is 24 year old, I believe the same age as Higgins and Plekanec, and he's a rookie, so don't consider him a veteran that steals roster spots because he's one of the young guys that can still improve and if Selanne's words of praise can be taken perfectly seriously (which they can't) then this guy even has 1st line NHL potential.