Habs Sign Brisebois

InsaneHABSfan

I also know Brisebois knows how to score.. on his own net.

So did Redden ... mistakes happen. If you have ever played D in any team sport, you will know this.

As I said before, glad to have Brisbois on board .... I hope all the haters stay home and boo!

• Replies 260
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Surprise surprise, my fellow work mates, friends and poolies that are not of the Habs persuasion are beginning to give their opinions on the Brisebois signing. I expected criticism. I expected the ol' "Breeze by" joke to come from them. This is what I have heard from a mixture of Hawks, Pens, Leafs, Flyers, Oilers, Flames, Sharks fans and so on; They are impressed with the move and Leaf fans (especially) are weary and a little frustrated that Gainey got Brisebois as a depth player. Overall to them it's seen that this rounds out our defence from top to bottom - solid/stable. Don't beat me up in a quote reply please. I'm just the messenger on this one.

It says alot when your enemies give a compliment. Between their opinions, the positive and the negative of opinions of Canadiens fans lies a truth that this is a good acquisition. It's clear that their concern is regular season success and Leaf fans are weary of the 16 points up for grabs and what that means to them.

I'm personally enjoying the fact that this signing is sticking in their craw. :D

What have others heard from non Habs fans on this?

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

That's such a ridiculous thing to say in a team sport like hockey. I guess Ray Bourque was just another loser while he was in Boston. I guess Dave Andreychuk was just some bum until he got a Cup in Tampa. I guess Rod Brind'Amour sucked until he got a Cup in Carolina. Obviously Smolinski isn't on the same level as those guys, but they do go to show that winning Cups doesn't make you a better player. Never winning a Cup doesn't make a guy a worse player. Using your logic, you'd rather have Grabovsky on the top line than you would Koivu!

P.S. Smolinski won gold at the 1996 World Cup of Hockey.

It's not all on players quality, it's all about team players that make the team win.

Ray Bourque was a great player BUT not a real winner and he accepted to play in mediocrity,

taking less money than he could get and licking Sinden boots all the way. He made a move at the end of his career to win a cup.

Patrick Roy never accepted that and he left Montreal to win 2 cups.

Habs history is filled with guys that never accepted defeat or just making the playoffs.

I hope i don't have to name you a few to make my point.

Ray Bourque was a great player BUT not a real winner and he accepted to play in mediocrity,

:rolleyes: You do realize you're saying that you'd prefer a "winner" like Ryan O'Byrne than a "loser" like Bourque, right? Do you realize how foolish you sound? I would LOVE for every member of the Habs to be the man Ray Bourque is. The man was loyal to his team, he accepted mediocrity out of loyalty because he loved being a Bruin. Did he like not winning a Cup in Boston? Of course not, but it was his team. Personally, I lost respect for him when he asked for a trade to a winner, it was out of character. He should have been a Bruin till the end, it's who he was.

Personally, I lost respect for him when he asked for a trade to a winner, it was out of character. He should have been a Bruin till the end, it's who he was.

Are you kidding me? He stuck with that loser organization about 6 years too long!!! They had many opportunities to build contending teams around him during his long and illustrious career, but seldom did because they were just plain CHEAP. I don't begrudge any athlete for bailing on a franchise that repeatedly drops the ball...just like I don't blame a franchise that gets rid of a player who repeatedly drops the ball. How many chances can you give?

True that. And in many people's hearts, he'll be a Bruin 'til the end. If he'd stuck around in Colorado for any longer, then sure, he's a traitor. But calling him "out of character" is the equivalent to your girlfriend saying "look, I need a break" after a big fight, and you going and sleeping with some skank at a bar, and then her getting all upset that you did that. Even though she pretty much okayed it.

And I don't see Harry Sinden sulking about it.

Are you kidding me? He stuck with that loser organization about 6 years too long!!! They had many opportunities to build contending teams around him during his long and illustrious career, but seldom did because they were just plain CHEAP. I don't begrudge any athlete for bailing on a franchise that repeatedly drops the ball...just like I don't blame a franchise that gets rid of a player who repeatedly drops the ball. How many chances can you give?

Give me a break, they won plenty of division titles during his time there and only missed the playoffs once while he was there. Not to mention he played in two Cup Finals with them. They were far from being a bad team. I mean, they only had one losing season his entire time there!

THE RETURN OF BRISEBOIS:

1. A good test for the supposed 'class' of Montreal hockey fans. He should be welcomed back graciously (I don't say enthusiastically) and then judged by his performance. If he faces serious boos on his return all because he was -31 like five years ago, then Habs fans are officially ignorant, classless morons. This is a good chance for us to correct some of the harm that our treatment of Brisebois has done to our rep as a city and our appeal to UFAs. Leave it to witch-hunting Habs fans to blow it.

2. Gainey has been resolutely committed to young players. He is aware of the need to develop them. If, therefore, Brisebois is on board, it's either because Bob does not believe any Hamilton D to be seriously NHL-ready; or because he believes that their development can be harmonized with Beezer on the team; or because his real intention in signing Beezer is as an insurance policy *in case* none of our young D are up to snuff. So please don't freak out that Brisebois will impede the development of our young D. Gainey has already given that angle serious thought.

3. Cup experience and the endorsement of former teammates Guy Carbonneau and Kirk Muller - that should give a clue as to the character of the man. He will be an asset in the room and a at least a minor asset to a young team that needs to learn to win.

4. Not a major move in any case. A nice depth signing - and characteristic of Gainey, making sure we have quality NHL talent at every available roster spot.

Bievenue Patrice.

People are talking about experience, chipping in points, great first pass, good backup pp guy, very good skater; plus limiting his ice time, mentoring our young players...

Makes me seriously wonder if they have ever seen this guy play. He is sh*te, end of. You pay peanuts, you get monkeys...back.

On how to be a pylon.

Let us not forget that Patrice will be an invaluable connection between the coaching staff and the players. Last year, Carbo reportedly lost some respect in the dressing room, and I think with Patrice there, the odds of this happening again are significantly diminished.

Give me a break, they won plenty of division titles during his time there and only missed the playoffs once while he was there. Not to mention he played in two Cup Finals with them. They were far from being a bad team. I mean, they only had one losing season his entire time there!

They never grabbed that one additional star player that would have put them over the top though, in spite of Ray constantly signing for far below market value. They owed it to him to open up their wallet and load up with talent at some point (a-la Colorado, Detroit)....but they never did.

Of course not, but it was his team. Personally, I lost respect for him when he asked for a trade to a winner, it was out of character. He should have been a Bruin till the end, it's who he was.

Lost respect and Ray Bourque in the same sentence it makes no sense! :blink:

Let us not forget that Patrice will be an invaluable connection between the coaching staff and the players. Last year, Carbo reportedly lost some respect in the dressing room, and I think with Patrice there, the odds of this happening again are significantly diminished.

For sure. I think Brisbois will be an excellent 5-6, or may even fill in on the top four if he has a good year, and is needed. I don't know why everyone expects to have nothing but top 2 D on this board. I think our D is looking pretty good now, and especially if we consider the near future. Of course, I expect that with all of our new D prospects we will have better Ds in the somewhat more distant future.

Go Brisbois!

Ok, since bob's hitting that crack pipe pretty hard these days...

Why dont we trade Huet for Ribeiro, put him as starting tender, Send Markov down to the minors and put Dagenais on the point, and Demote Saku, sign Traverse and give him the C?

This all sounds wacky...but in my opinion its about in sync on the same level with acquiring Brisebois!!!

What happened to the rebuilding phase? For once, just go with the damn Kids!...give them a chance!!!

Im guessing the Defence will look like the following:

Hamarlik-Streit

Markov-Komisarek

Brisebois-Boullion

Gorges? Valentenko? Emelin? Dandenault?

PP time? PLEASE NO...Brisebois has a marginal at best shot...And fumbles a perfect tape to tape pass as i recall!!

Looks like im going to get some grey hairs at the age of 20 due to the stress he causes me from his endless goof ups in the past and the many more to come for the 07.08 season. As far as Im concerned...its going to be a painful season to watch if he gets the same kind of role that was equivalent to that of Rivet's.

For sure. I think Brisbois will be an excellent 5-6, or may even fill in on the top four if he has a good year, and is needed. I don't know why everyone expects to have nothing but top 2 D on this board. I think our D is looking pretty good now, and especially if we consider the near future. Of course, I expect that with all of our new D prospects we will have better Ds in the somewhat more distant future.

Go Brisbois!

Bacchus, as the God of Drink (wine), you must be right! If, perhaps just a bit tippsy, I would say Brisebois as a very good 6-7 d-man.

Just so people know, Gorges can't go down to the AHL without being waived. So I think his spot on the team as a spare is pretty safe.

We carried 8 D last year, there's no reason we won't do it again this year.

Just so people know, Gorges can't go down to the AHL without being waived. So I think his spot on the team as a spare is pretty safe.

We carried 8 D last year, there's no reason we won't do it again this year.

Actually, saskhab, there is a reason that was not there last year: Bulldogs like Price, Chipchura, O'Byrne, etc.

Carbo may have to go with one less D and carry one more forward. Is Gorges going to be kept around just in case..??

Actually, saskhab, there is a reason that was not there last year: Bulldogs like Price, Chipchura, O'Byrne, etc.

Carbo may have to go with one less D and carry one more forward. Is Gorges going to be kept around just in case..??

I think they'd rather risk losing Murray than Gorges on waivers, so if someone forces their way on to the team than I think he's the first one down and Gorges stays with the main team.

Why dont we trade Huet for Ribeiro, put him as starting tender, Send Markov down to the minors and put Dagenais on the point, and Demote Saku, sign Traverse and give him the C?

This all sounds wacky...but in my opinion its about in sync on the same level with acquiring Brisebois!!!

What happened to the rebuilding phase? For once, just go with the damn Kids!...give them a chance!!!

Hamarlik-Streit

Markov-Komisarek

Brisebois-Boullion

PP time? PLEASE NO...Brisebois has a marginal at best shot...And fumbles a perfect tape to tape pass as i recall!!

Looks like im going to get some grey hairs at the age of 20 due to the stress he causes me from his endless goof ups in the past and the many more to come for the 07.08 season. As far as Im concerned...its going to be a painful season to watch if he gets the same kind of role that was equivalent to that of Rivet's.

Gainey signs Brisebois and the sky is falling? Why does everyone automatically assume 3+ rookies are going to make the team every single season. Is it because Hockey's Future puts some arbitrary ranking of #2 for the prospects? Is it because the Bulldogs won the Calder, and although I didn't see any games, it seems like a lot of that was on the shoulders of Carey Price. One of the deficiencies in the Habs farm system for a few years have been dmen. Markov and Komisarek are the last of the drafted/developed guys to make the team. O'Byrne, when drafted, was a known project (more so that usual, if I remember correctly). To expect the jump after one season in the AHL is a bit of a stretch. Valentenko? They were impressed at the development camp with him, but he will probably need time to adjust to NA. He is only 19. Emelin? He's not coming over. So let's see, does that mean you want Biron? Rivers? Archer? Cote? Career AHLers? Montreal has finally drafted some quality prospects in McDonagh and Fischer. How about giving them some time to develop before we rush late round draft picks into the lineup. Believe it or not, not all drafted players make the NHL.

Brisebois will not have the same role as Rivet. (Rivet shouldn't have seen as many minutes as he did while playing with the Habs.) If you listen to Gainey's comments that Brisebois brings in excellent depth, what's hard to understand? He's obviously agreed to a diminished role with the team, and won't be seeing 20+. I might be in the minority, but I'd rather see Brisebois on the ice than Bouillon. Man, do I feel bad for Patrice, he was made such the scapegoat for a weak team, and it seems so-called fans are ready to do it again before he even dons the jersey. $700k for a good veteran depth defenseman. I'm pleased with that.

Edited by huzer

Gainey might think Patrice brings excellent depth, but Carbo distributes the minutes and decides who dresses. If you think Rivet got too many minutes (which really I don't, it's just that he and Souray weren't good partners and they faced added minutes because Bouillon & Dandy never got back into form at any point last year... hence Rivet's strong performance with more minutes in San Jose last year), then why wouldn't Breezy get similar treatment as the most experienced blueliner (at least in age, he has played in 208 less games than Hamrlik) on the team?

I really don't like that our D has gotten older and more injury prone than last year's group. I do hope that Breezy helps raise the level of competition and the best guys will win out, but I have a gut feeling that Carbo will lean on the veterans like he did last year.

Gainey might think Patrice brings excellent depth, but Carbo distributes the minutes and decides who dresses. If you think Rivet got too many minutes (which really I don't, it's just that he and Souray weren't good partners and they faced added minutes because Bouillon & Dandy never got back into form at any point last year... hence Rivet's strong performance with more minutes in San Jose last year), then why wouldn't Breezy get similar treatment as the most experienced blueliner (at least in age, he has played in 208 less games than Hamrlik) on the team?

I really don't like that our D has gotten older and more injury prone than last year's group. I do hope that Breezy helps raise the level of competition and the best guys will win out, but I have a gut feeling that Carbo will lean on the veterans like he did last year.

DID Carbo lean on the veterans? Let's see, he totally alienated Rivet, and gave Streit a ridiculous amount of ice, while continuing to further Komi's development...as for forwards, he crapped all over Samsonov, aggravated Kovalev, got admirable production out Plekanec and Higgins, and seemed to take a personal interest in the development of Latendresse.

In fact, the pattern last year was Carbo winning the rookies and losing the vets. I suspect that Beezer is brought in partly to adjust that pattern. Now, you're saying that you don't trust Carbo to put the best players on the ice - fine, but that's not a result of his catering to veterans.

By the way, Huzer's post above is spot-on if you ask me. Well done.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

Hamarlik-Streit

Markov-Komisarek

Brisebois-Boullion

Streit's a LD and nowhere near 1st pair material. Emelin isnt even signed. Brisebois is a RD, Bouillon a LD.

Whose really been hitting the crack pipe?

DID Carbo lean on the veterans? Let's see, he totally alienated Rivet, and gave Streit a ridiculous amount of ice, while continuing to further Komi's development...as for forwards, he crapped all over Samsonov, aggravated Kovalev, got admirable production out Plekanec and Higgins, and seemed to take a personal interest in the development of Latendresse.

In fact, the pattern last year was Carbo winning the rookies and losing the vets. I suspect that Beezer is brought in partly to adjust that pattern. Now, you're saying that you don't trust Carbo to put the best players on the ice - fine, but that's not a result of his catering to veterans.

By the way, Huzer's post above is spot-on if you ask me. Well done.

I don't think one benching is "totally alienating" a guy. He gave him top 4 minutes, and still played Bouillon and Dandenault on D while giving Streit all his minutes at forward, rather than the more responsible minutes on D. I'm not saying he'll deny minutes to a youngster even though they are one of the best players, but vets don't play themselves out of roles... their attitude has to be so reprehensible that he forces Carbo's hand (Samsonov). Kovalev got more minutes than any forward last year, time on both special teams units despite indifferent play. Down the stretch, Niinimaa got more starts on D than Streit did, and Gorges got few chances. And Perezhogin got juggled around and chastized by Carbo despite being a successful component of one of the best shutdown lines in the game... his 'alienation' of players wasn't limited to vets. And even Carbo admitted that benching Rivet was the wrong move, he put him right back in and gave him the same minutes as before the next night.

I'm not saying he hates youngsters, I'm just saying he likes his vets.