Question about the 50 player roster limit?Mac?

Easy Ryder

With Ryder signed we are over the 50 players roster limits.

However there are some players who may have only a bulldogs contract in hand.

Jimmy Bonneau, Francis Lemieux,Ryan Russel, Jamie Rivers, Marvin Degon ??

Where do they come from ?? Degon?? from the Rags, Ryan Russel when did i missed those

moves never heard of them.

With Ryder signed we are over the 50 players roster limits.

However there are some players who may have only a bulldogs contract in hand.

Jimmy Bonneau, Francis Lemieux,Ryan Russel, Jamie Rivers, Marvin Degon ??

Where do they come from ?? Degon?? from the Rags, Ryan Russel when did i missed those

moves never heard of them.

I doubt BG would put us over the limit... I'm sure quite a few of these are not NHL contracts. No basis for this, just my opinion.

The roster limit and how it works make me believe a trade is coming. I think that Ryder's signing brings us to 48 total players whereas 3 or them are not SPC contracts.

Little help with the SPC's anyone?

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

(a) Not more than 50 players signed to Standard Player's Contracts and not less than 24 players and 3 goalkeepers under contract.

Age 18 and age 19 players who were returned to Canadian Major Junior Hockey clubs, and who have not played 11 games in the NHL in one season, shall be exempt from inclusion in the 50 player limit.

Any club violating this provision shall be liable to loss of draft choices as determined by the Commissioner.

The way I read it, basically even two way contracts where the player never goes from the AHL or ECHL to the NHL count against this number.

Also, unless a player (that is under contract and still eligible for junior) returns to junior before playing in 12 games (or more) in the NHL, they count against the 50 contract limit.

Ahl or ECHL only contracts (Beauregard for example) do not count against the 50 contract limit.

Clear as mud?

Edited by Habitforming

We're at 46 players.

http://walzy.hd-graphics.de/contracts.php

Click on Montreal, subtract the following players: Cullimore (buyout), Salmalienen (buyout), Benoit (unsigned RFA), Perezhogin (unsigned RFA). That leaves 5 goalies, 15 defence, and 26 forwards.

The following players are not signed to NHL contracts, therefore cannot play for the Habs, although they can play for the Bulldogs:

G Cedric Desjardins, F Ajay Baines, F Eric Manlow, F Thomas Beauregard, D Jon Gleed. I think that's all of them. Some have those guys counting towards the 50, but they are not signed to SPC's. This is actually a small loophole around the 50 player limit, AHL only contracts, but it doesn't really mean much in the end.

We're at 46 players.

http://walzy.hd-graphics.de/contracts.php

Click on Montreal, subtract the following players: Cullimore (buyout), Salmalienen (buyout), Benoit (unsigned RFA), Perezhogin (unsigned RFA). That leaves 5 goalies, 15 defence, and 26 forwards.

The following players are not signed to NHL contracts, therefore cannot play for the Habs, although they can play for the Bulldogs:

G Cedric Desjardins, F Ajay Baines, F Eric Manlow, F Thomas Beauregard, D Jon Gleed. I think that's all of them. Some have those guys counting towards the 50, but they are not signed to SPC's. This is actually a small loophole around the 50 player limit, AHL only contracts, but it doesn't really mean much in the end.

That's right.

The one thing that scares me using the AHL only contracts for players is a situation like Beauregard.

We have not seen him play in Pro hockey yet and if he lights it up there he can be signed as a UFA by any NHL team because we don't own his rights. The only drawback for a NHL team that wants him, is when/if he is sent to the AHL he has to go back to the Bulldogs because of his contract there.

Why is this stopping the four teams that wanted to sign him in the first place (Dallas, Toronto, Los Angeles and Montreal)?

Edited by Habitforming

That's right.

The one thing that scares me using the AHL only contracts for players is a situation like Beauregard.

We have not seen him play in Pro hockey yet and if he lights it up there he can be signed as a UFA by any NHL team because we don't own his rights. The only drawback for a NHL team that wants him, is when/if he is sent to the AHL he has to go back to the Bulldogs because of his contract there.

Why is this stopping the four teams that wanted to sign him in the first place (Dallas, Toronto, Los Angeles and Montreal)?

two plausible answers

1) It is a gentlemen's agreement thing ala RFA signings.

2) If you sign him out of hamilton, you'd better be sure he sticks with the big club, otherwise when he gets sent down to the AHL, the dogs would have little incentive to play him.

Well, Beauregard said himself that team offered him some NHL contracts but when he saw the Habs get interested, he had no problem signing a AHL deal.

So, it's basically a he's Habs property but unofficially.

two plausible answers

1) It is a gentlemen's agreement thing ala RFA signings.

2) If you sign him out of hamilton, you'd better be sure he sticks with the big club, otherwise when he gets sent down to the AHL, the dogs would have little incentive to play him.

The "unofficially" part bugs me, and the gentlemans agreement is likely killed after the RFA offers being tendered.

The Leafs for example have jack s*%^ in the minors, so it would be just like them to overpay just to get him.

The "unofficially" part bugs me, and the gentlemans agreement is likely killed after the RFA offers being tendered.

The Leafs for example have jack s*%^ in the minors, so it would be just like them to overpay just to get him.

It's Beauregard's choice. We could still sign him to a NHL deal if he impresses in training camps and we have a roster spot open (amongst the 50).

Marvin Degon is getting paid 850 000$ !!

5.10 shooting right 190lbs never ben drafted.

It's seems a lot for a guy we never heard of, hey it's more than Brisebois been offered...

probably 850,000 on a 2-way contract. While he is not playing for the habs, he is making much less, I'd imagine.

Marvin Degon is getting paid 850 000$ !!

5.10 shooting right 190lbs never ben drafted.

It's seems a lot for a guy we never heard of, hey it's more than Brisebois been offered...

You're allowed to pay up to $850,000 to any player that qualifies for a rookie contract. I guess Degon does. His salary might be a lot less, though. $850,000 includes a signing bonus. So when we go to qualify him next year, it may be for a couple hundred thousand dollars less.

You're allowed to pay up to $850,000 to any player that qualifies for a rookie contract. I guess Degon does. His salary might be a lot less, though. $850,000 includes a signing bonus. So when we go to qualify him next year, it may be for a couple hundred thousand dollars less.

Well I can't speak to the actuality of the bonus, I can say that Degon's contract is base of $560,000, with the other $290,000 in bonuses of some sort, and yes, it is a 2-way deal.

To respond to the first post of the thread, all players mentioned there are indeed under contract with the Habs, and the team is currently at 46 players (my cap hit numbers differ from the link provided for some players, but I've got the same ones listed as signed.)

If I'm not mistaken, Baines' time in Hamilton may be done, one of he or Manlow signed only a 1-year deal last offseason; I've see the former's name listed as a UFA on a couple of different websites.

Does anyone know for sure whether Cullimore and Salmelainen have indeed been bought out? I know they were both waived which is a necessary precursor to being bought out, and I read reports (that sounded suspect) that the Habs promised Chicago they would buy out Cullimore as part of the trade, but I never heard anywhere authoritative that either player had been bought out.

Does anyone know for sure whether Cullimore and Salmelainen have indeed been bought out? I know they were both waived which is a necessary precursor to being bought out, and I read reports (that sounded suspect) that the Habs promised Chicago they would buy out Cullimore as part of the trade, but I never heard anywhere authoritative that either player had been bought out.

Yes, both Cullimore and Salmelainen have officially been bought out. If you go to the NHLPA site and do a search, you'll notice that both players are listed as Habs still (so are Johnson, Downey, and Co), but are "unsigned."

Cap hits:

Cullimore: 07-08: $620,667 08-09: $639,667

Salmelainen: 07-08: $75,000 08-09: $125,000

• 3 weeks later...

FYI, another website that breaks down all salaries for the Habs including the AHL and performance bonuses. It is not much different than nhlnumbers.com.

The Habs have 48 players under contract according to this site.

http://www.nhlscap.com/salarynumbers/montreal.htm