New HW Fantasy Hockey Yahoo!

huzer

Ok, it's been discussed in the Sk7 thread, so...let's discuss a new league and who would be in.

Debate type: (Head to head?, Points?, and...make it a keeper?) Once we get this settled, and once registration opens, we can decide on what stats to use, and what point values to assign to them.

So, let's get some GMs signing up so we can start the debate! Obviously, I'm in. Just respond to this thread.

I'm in too.

As much as I'd like to do keeper, it requires a dedicated commish who's willing to keep records and lay down the hard word when necessary, and will put in a few years at least. A bit of an ask, compared to the old SK.

Still, Head-to-Head is an awesome set up, encourages competition and sets up some awesome upsets. It'll be hard for anyone to run away with the league (see: Palmetto Thunder est. 2004)

Even better is the maximum games, which some new GMs fail to understand until half-way through the season. While we might be able to make maximum games, it'll be on a weekly basis, not yearly, so you'll learn quick.

I also like the depth involved in SK, so we'd have to hit 20 teams with 20 players for that same level of competition for FAs. However, if we're going to have 16 GMs instead of 20, I think we should reduce the players on each team.

That's all I got for now. I miss YFLs :)

Keeper leagues aren't all that hard to take care of, I've been doing baseball and football keeper leagues for 4-5 years now. By this point, I've come up with a hardline system. Everyone posts their keeper lists at the end of the season. If you don't post a list, the Commish picks the top 4 players from the team, based mostly on points. (i.e. If Crosby misses 20 games and is 5th on the team, Crosby still gets the nod.) Sure, people can complain, but it's their own fault for not posting a list.

Come draft time, everyone drafts their keepers in the first four rounds. If anyone screws up, they kinda get screwed. The Commish removes a wrongly drafted player from a team and puts him on the correct team. To make room on the roster and fill out the other guys roster, the first player at the wrongly drafted players position on the screwed over team is sent to the team that drafted the wrong player. (i.e. If Team A wrongly drafts Crosby, who belonged to Team B, then Crosby would be placed on Team B and the first center drafted by Team B is sent to Team A.)

Well, if we have 2-3 commissioners who are aware of how it works, it sounds workable. A keeper league would be pretty cool, and a live draft should be easy enough to do - the first 4 rounds would blow by with the preselection tool too.

It would make sense, having the annual SK overall-leaderboard league and the keeper H2H league, even if they have similar settings/positions - they both have different strategies.

But Fanpuck, are you interested in a keeper league? Would you be prepared, if not to be the co-commish, then be the Architect? Or just a consultant?

hmm I've got a deans list to get on. Plus a social life. Plus there's these things called the mountains.

I'm not good at these things anyway. Too much work.

Dude, I've been on the equivalent of the Dean's list for the past two years, have a raging social life (I guess it's hard to prove, but I have no need to impress anyone), and live near the Blue Mountains (which is more beautiful than the Appalachians in the US, where I used to live).

I've also been doing SK for 4-5 years. You can change your roster twice a week like the famed Puck7x, and still remain competitive. I used to throw 5 minutes in a day, and that would be overdoing it for some people.

This keeper league will not be HWL - it's all handled by Yahoo. You just add, subtract, substitute, and trade. That's all. If you change your mind, let us know - your passion for politics could be diverted, even if only a little bit, into some fantasy hockey that'll build friendships, provide a small outlet, and display your knowledge of hockey. And it would be a benefit for everybody ;)

If we are talking about doing the same thing we did on yahoo last season...count me in!

Last season was the worst finish I've had in about 6 years...I need to redeem myself!

If we are talking about doing the same thing we did on yahoo last season...count me in!

Last season was the worst finish I've had in about 6 years...I need to redeem myself!

It'll be a bit different, a different style of points and competition, but you're still welcome to try it.

Dude, I've been on the equivalent of the Dean's list for the past two years, have a raging social life (I guess it's hard to prove, but I have no need to impress anyone), and live near the Blue Mountains (which is more beautiful than the Appalachians in the US, where I used to live).

I've also been doing SK for 4-5 years. You can change your roster twice a week like the famed Puck7x, and still remain competitive. I used to throw 5 minutes in a day, and that would be overdoing it for some people.

This keeper league will not be HWL - it's all handled by Yahoo. You just add, subtract, substitute, and trade. That's all. If you change your mind, let us know - your passion for politics could be diverted, even if only a little bit, into some fantasy hockey that'll build friendships, provide a small outlet, and display your knowledge of hockey. And it would be a benefit for everybody ;)

:lol:

oh what a great response. That made my day. Give me a year. I need to soak myself into hockey culture first. Then I'll join a league.

As I've written, it'll be head-to-head rather than rotisserie or accumulated points.

There may be more or less positions, we're not entirely sure yet.

Scoring will also be tweaked somewhat, as well as games-played.

More managers, less managers, potential transfer into a keeper league, etc.

Here we're debating ideas, so if you have any ideas or opinions on the ideas, feel free to throw them into the ring.

Right now we're accepting all entries. Once we hit 20, however, we may be forced to refine entries to ensure dedication throughout an entire season (i.e., taking your first child as collateral in case).

Registration is in September I believe?

It will be a live draft, and if you can't make it, you will be able to pre-rank, which is almost as effective. A suitable time will be chosen closer to the actual event.

Current GMs in:

- Huzer

- TheAussiePosse

- JMMR

- Mr.Nasty

- Habitforming

- Habsfan24

~ Fanpuck33?

Huz, I'm not usually on YIM the same time most North American GMs are - would you be able to put the word out to some of the old SK GMs?

Right now we're accepting all entries. Once we hit 20, however, we may be forced to refine entries to ensure dedication throughout an entire season (i.e., taking your first child as collateral in case).

Registration is in September I believe?

It will be a live draft, and if you can't make it, you will be able to pre-rank, which is almost as effective. A suitable time will be chosen closer to the actual event.

Current GMs in:

- Huzer

- TheAussiePosse

- JMMR

- Mr.Nasty

- Habitforming

- Habsfan24

~ Fanpuck33?

Huz, I'm not usually on YIM the same time most North American GMs are - would you be able to put the word out to some of the old SK GMs?

hmmm, is this one the same as the other thread going on? if yes, would you please add the other list to this one...

• 2 weeks later...

I'm setting up this league now. Woo!

League Info:

Name: HW Head 2 Head

Password: habsworld123

Settings: Still being worked out. (Aussie...hit me up when you've got a chance)

Edited by huzer

I'm setting up this league now. Woo!

League Info:

Name: HW Head 2 Head

Settings: Still being worked out. (Aussie...hit me up when you've got a chance)

Thanks

We need the league ID# to get in. The name won't work

D'oh! forgot to post that...

League ID# is 6442.

I registered. Looks like I will miss the draft but if it works for everyone else I can pre-rank my guys. I am traveling to Moncton to see the habs play that night. ^_^

I registered. Looks like I will miss the draft but if it works for everyone else I can pre-rank my guys. I am traveling to Moncton to see the habs play that night. ^_^

I just picked a random time for the draft, that can be changed.