EA Releases NHL 08 Ratings!

jetsniper

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/815/815300p1.html

I figure we can keep talk of this years ratings seperate from the other video game talk (the Wii topic is just basically our floating video games thread now).

I'm hoping this is just an IGN error but I'm curious as to why Brisebois and Vaananen are still on the Avs roster.

Good, the last time I loved a configuration (04), they totally changed the next year.

I can't play 2004 anymore, it's so slow. Even at it's highest speed, the players move like semis. But 2005 was a total trainwreck.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/815/815300p1.html

I figure we can keep talk of this years ratings seperate from the other video game talk (the Wii topic is just basically our floating video games thread now).

I'm hoping this is just an IGN error but I'm curious as to why Brisebois and Vaananen are still on the Avs roster.

They have Perezhogin, Salmalainen and Cullimore on the Habs roster, alongside Smolinski, Hamrlik and Kostopolous. The ex-Habs were gone months ago. Why not just make them free agents, if it's too late in the development stage to drop them from the game altogether.

NHL 08 is to be released on September 11, 2007. In this year's update to the series, NHL 08 will feature the Skill Stick System which EA says will allow gamers to more easily control the puck.[5] There will also be a way to release the puck and control your player around the defender then retrieve the puck to perform impressive dekes.

NHL 08 will also include "Goalie Mode", where users can control their goalie with a new 3rd person camera. Another new feature is the ability to create custom plays, where you can take a team into practice mode and work on creating a custom play.

New communication will occur through the controller rumble feature allowing users to communicate with a teammate in multiplayer games. Users can call for the puck by tapping the ice with their stick just like the pros.

With the NHL going to the Rbk Edge jerseys, with new color patterns, striping and even new logos for some teams, for the 2007/08 NHL season, EA Sports has reported that all 30 teams new jerseys will be on the game.

A Dynasty Mode allows users to create a dream team from Fantasy Draft and play through to the Stanley Cup.

The game's customization features have been revamped, especially the Create-A-Team feature. The Create-A-Team feature has a color picker similar to the one used in 2K Sports' All-Pro Football 2K8.

Playoff mode lets you select your favorite team and jump right into the post-season.

For the first time ever, the game will feature all 29 teams in the American Hockey League.[6] Players will be able to develop talent through the AHL, and then call up their prospects to play in the NHL. Every AHL team will be fully playable. [7]

Next generation features include the creation of custom plays, on the fly AI, a new skating engine, goalie mode and 3 on 3 online play.

Commentary is once again provided by Gary Thorne and Bill Clement for the Xbox 360 and Playstation 3 versions of the game, however, Commentary for the PC and Playstation 2 versions have yet to be announced.

Carolina Hurricanes centre Eric Staal is the cover man for NHL 08.

I'm sure the rosters will be fixed if every teams new jersey is going to be in the game. Some teams aren't releasing theirs until after the game is out (although I'm sure EA was allowed to get sneak peeks so they could stick them in the game)

Canadiens player stats are not that accurate, some of them are over exagerated and some underated, example Latendresse, he has more stats in speed then his toughness/checking... Doesn't make too much sense....

Edited by Nesquik

Will all those lovely updates and new features be included in the PS2 version? If the PS2 version is merely a roster upodate like last year then I aint gonna bother.

Will all those lovely updates and new features be included in the PS2 version? If the PS2 version is merely a roster upodate like last year then I aint gonna bother.

I doubt it. The current-gen(PS2, PC) are always simple roster updates. They've been running the same 3D engine since 2005.

PS2 is last-gen.

I've read in a couple places that PS2 will be up to date with the current gen. I wouldn't miss it either, they've totally redone the skating engine and it's amazing. Don't worry though Fanpuck, the controls haven't changed. Quite simply though, the demo is amazing.

PS2 is last-gen.

I've read in a couple places that PS2 will be up to date with the current gen. I wouldn't miss it either, they've totally redone the skating engine and it's amazing. Don't worry though Fanpuck, the controls haven't changed. Quite simply though, the demo is amazing.

i just dont like the fact that the skaters dont really go fast...but i guess its ultra realistic

i just dont like the fact that the skaters dont really go fast...but i guess its ultra realistic

Yeah, they're back to the speed of 04 but I can deal with that considering all the other upgrades they made. The Goalie AI seems to be MUCH better, I haven't scored a cheap/ridiculous goal yet. That makes me look forward to the Play Creator so much more because it looks like it will be needed.

You will be able to play with all the 29 AHL team.. Real roster. As for the control change, there is some, you can now deflect the puck and you have a new 1on1 deking system, who is pretty nice btw. One more week to wait!

You will be able to play with all the 29 AHL team.. Real roster. As for the control change, there is some, you can now deflect the puck and you have a new 1on1 deking system, who is pretty nice btw. One more week to wait!

Thats not a control change, those are just new features. The control scheme hasn't changed at all.

Picked up EGM today while I was out doing some grocery shopping and they gave it an amazing review. It got a 9.5/10 and two 9/10s since EGM always has three people who do a review. Best quote of the three little reviews : "I'm going to make the bold claim that this game will do for real hockey what NHL '94 did for fake hockey: make it relevant again"

Man, I can't wait for the online leagues. First thing I'll do is join an online league.

For anyone else who bought the game and didn't know, the code to unlock all the Edge jerseys was leaked this morning by Reebok for a couple hours.

rbkedgesite.png

Just at the bottom there. Not a fake either, some people question it but I entered it onto my copy and it worked.

For anyone else who bought the game and didn't know, the code to unlock all the Edge jerseys was leaked this morning by Reebok for a couple hours.

rbkedgesite.png

Just at the bottom there. Not a fake either, some people question it but I entered it onto my copy and it worked.

Weird that the game starts out with the RBK jerseys and the code unlocks the old ones. I figured it would be the other way around.

So far, I don't like it better than last year's. I'm really disappointed with the passing. The passes go automatically to the player you aim at, whereas you used to be able to pass it around the end boards and whatnot. I definitely need to mess with the interception sliders, that's out of control. Passes get blocked like nobody's business. Goalie AI doesn't seem much improved either, I've seen quite a few really lame goals in just the three games I played.