toughness

NILAN/KORDIC

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's funny, I was just browsing some hockey blogs and at The Battle of California, they have a season preview on Raitis Ivanans, who was supposed to be our enforcer in 2005-06 before Chara knocked him out.

http://battleofcalifornia.blogspot.com/200...is-ivanans.html

He did well last year in LA, and they let Kostopolous walk. Kostopolous has never been a full-time goon, so we shouldn't look to him in that role at all. Really, we don't have that kind of guy right now. I don't know if it matters that much, as I think they're only useful in a handful of situations all year.

I wouldn't mind if we had a big man, a pure goon to play occasionally. But I'm not disappointed by the lack of one.

Kostopolous won't scare anyone, though. Komi can at least man handle guys if it comes to that.

It's funny, I was just browsing some hockey blogs and at The Battle of California, they have a season preview on Raitis Ivanans, who was supposed to be our enforcer in 2005-06 before Chara knocked him out.

http://battleofcalifornia.blogspot.com/200...is-ivanans.html

He did well last year in LA, and they let Kostopolous walk. Kostopolous has never been a full-time goon, so we shouldn't look to him in that role at all. Really, we don't have that kind of guy right now. I don't know if it matters that much, as I think they're only useful in a handful of situations all year.

I wouldn't mind if we had a big man, a pure goon to play occasionally. But I'm not disappointed by the lack of one.

Kostopolous won't scare anyone, though. Komi can at least man handle guys if it comes to that.

amen to that! We're not going to win or lose because of a goon being on the team. It's overall toughness, finishing our checks, etc. that'll really make a difference.

amen to that! We're not going to win or lose because of a goon being on the team. It's overall toughness, finishing our checks, etc. that'll really make a difference.

don't forget Brisebois guys :P

RYAN CLOWE :clap:

wouldn't that be nice!!!

the team would be ever so better if everybody chipped in a little toughness. not saying that every player should fight but if we played with an edge we'd be tougher to play against.

on defense, bouillon and komisarek can do the job but I would love to see others chip in a little:

a cross check or a two and slapper on an ankle may give you a penalty once but will make oppenents more reluctant to come in front of the net.

I don't know how the canadiens will do this season but if they play with passion and grit, things will look good.

Edited by marky_and_komi

I think by the end of last year, with Komi having more all-around confidence and the Lats-Laps duo we were much more energetic in the hitting department. Still, we miss a Begin in good shape. He's the real balls on this team. Without him, the team had much less fight. I think we got Kosto because he's a Begin-type of all-out shift-disturber.

Otherwise, toughness is a really broad term. Are you tough because you're bigger and hit more than your opponent? Or are you tough because you don't get intimidated by bigger, more aggressive foes?

Is Hamrlik tough? Not in the 'drops the gloves' sense but in that hard-nosed, hard-hitting way that seems to count as *real* toughness in today's preposterous 'instigatored' NHL?

Just askin'. But with Souray gone, Komi will have to drop the gloves at least once.

They did add some toughness and gritiness. However for those who think the fighters are worthless I'll give you facts "not always mind you" but the habs have been soft for years. That equals barely any playoff time. Teams that are big, tough and fighters not only get into the playoffs but do well.

Fights can bring the team together. I also get a laugh fromposters who said Rivet and Souray did a lot of sticking up for team mates, if you actually look at the number of fights the habs had as a team they were very low.

Let's hope they get a real tough guy instead of the punching bags they have had for the last 10 years.

wow... its been a few months since somebody started this exact same thread... I was almost starting to miss it.

this thread is never left alone long enough for me to start missing it :wacko::wacko:

I agree that teams that finish their checks and play an overall grittier game go further in the playoffs, BUT I don't think this equals fights. I think we've added sandpaper in the form of grit and players who are willing to go into the corners, work harder, etc. Let's give them a chance and see them on the ice before we insist we need a goon to get to the playoffs.

Let's hope they get a real tough guy

They have Komisarek who last year went head to head with Chara. Even though Chara has a size advantage on him and even though we have all seen him do the ragdoll McCabe, it was against Komisarek that I noticed Chara struggling. Chara seemed to be like a deer caught in headlights. Sort of, "I'm the king but this guy is difficult to deal with and I don't want to fight him" and he seemed uncomfortable. :D The last time Chara had that look he was dealing with Lindros in his prime. The fact that Komisarek gave Chara the same reaction as did the Big E in his prime speaks volumes. As a matter of fact, it was only the Big E and Komisarek who have had this affect based on my viewing experience.

:clap:

Edited by Athlétique.Canadien

Jim Bonneau

Search on You tube and you will find a mediocer fighter. We need someone that will go toe to toe with big George or Pens will eat us up this year. Wether you like it or not fighting is making a big comeback and we will see that right fromthe start of the season. Crosby getting a police man says one thing. It's back!!!!!!!

Good for me,I love hockey fights, bad for habs no-one can fight. Not good.

Saks....right on. We haven't had a real good fighter since Nilan/Kordic days. I guess when we had Blouin and Dave Morrisette we were "somewhat tough" because they actually won fights. I still have Blouin pounding Rob Ray to the ice with 3 consecutive rights!!!!

All of you posters who say " lets wait until the season starts.....or We don't need a goon" are crazy.

We need a guy to go against a guy like Laraque or a Chara or a Boogaard. We had a guy like that and let him go. I still say that a guy like that comes cheap most of the time. No more Vandemeer's or Downey's.....get a huge guy. Someone that when he's on the ice, NOBODY goes near him!

They did add some toughness and gritiness. However for those who think the fighters are worthless I'll give you facts "not always mind you" but the habs have been soft for years. That equals barely any playoff time. Teams that are big, tough and fighters not only get into the playoffs but do well.

Fights can bring the team together. I also get a laugh fromposters who said Rivet and Souray did a lot of sticking up for team mates, if you actually look at the number of fights the habs had as a team they were very low.

Let's hope they get a real tough guy instead of the punching bags they have had for the last 10 years.

Yep, that's why Detroit finished at the top of the Western Conference and went to Round 3. Their willingness to fight. What'd they have, 8 fights all year?

Anahiem won it all didn't they. They have 6 people who had more fights then the entire habs roster.

Detroit is the exception not the rule. I did say not always.

to show they really want to change their philosophy, they invited spuds Downey to their camp !!!