Mark Streit

MFT77

Who else is looking forward to seeing Mark Streit play an entire year on D. Whethere this will happen or not, we will see. From a fringe player in his rookie year, to a vastly improved last year. Even though a great portion was spent on forward, i see him being one of the Habs top 4 d-man. With more confidence, he should be a strong puckmoving d-man who will contribute on the PP. Reading an interview with him, he definitely now has the confidence and should move his game up a notch. Possibly paired with Hammy could make for another solid d-pairing. Can't wait to see him log some minutes on D.

well I really think he'll play on the 3rd line and will be on the second PP unit. he'll be to montreal what dandy used to be in Detroit.

Um...It is possible he will mostly play forward or have a fringe role as a utility player? We have a lot of depth on D and a lot of up and coming prospects at both D and the forward positions...can Streit really handle all that internal competition...I for one as a habs fan hope that the internal competition Gainey is doing for this club will make players strive for their top production etc

Having Streit on our third pairing will be nice, since him with Brisebois, Dandenault or Bouillon is a decent bottom pairing I think. It's really only a 2nd pairing defenceman that we need to round out our D but there's no point paying big for a star when we have so many prospects who are almost ready to join the team. It seems that by as early as next season, O'Byrne, Valentenko, McDonagh with Subban and Carle as maybes could be NHL ready.

Having Streit on our third pairing will be nice, since him with Brisebois, Dandenault or Bouillon is a decent bottom pairing I think. It's really only a 2nd pairing defenceman that we need to round out our D but there's no point paying big for a star when we have so many prospects who are almost ready to join the team. It seems that by as early as next season, O'Byrne, Valentenko, McDonagh with Subban and Carle as maybes could be NHL ready.

I think maybe O'Byrne and Valentenko you're right about. McDonagh, Subban, and Carle, I'd give them at least 2 more seasons before the NHL

I think maybe O'Byrne and Valentenko you're right about. McDonagh, Subban, and Carle, I'd give them at least 2 more seasons before the NHL

Well yeah. O'Byrne should be a lock, Valentenko is 50/50. Then I said maybe for Subban and Carle. The scouting staff (and McDonagh himself) are saying that McDonagh will very possibly be playing in the NHL next season - apparently, his strength and skating are already NHL calibre (same for Subban), he's just gotta retool his game for a season or two. I don't expect him to take any longer than that.

Well yeah. O'Byrne should be a lock, Valentenko is 50/50. Then I said maybe for Subban and Carle. The scouting staff (and McDonagh himself) are saying that McDonagh will very possibly be playing in the NHL next season - apparently, his strength and skating are already NHL calibre (same for Subban), he's just gotta retool his game for a season or two. I don't expect him to take any longer than that.

Didn't realize that. Wow, thanks.

Do you remember where you read it??

""He's very mature, he's well along in his physical development, and his skating is topnotch," Timmins said. "I don't think you'll see him too long at the university level before he turns pro. He's there physically; he just needs to be able to play the game at a higher level."

McDonagh, a player who clearly has places to go and people to see, is actually in no big rush.

"I'm going to play a good year there and, hopefully, develop. And when the year ends, sit down with the Montreal staff and really talk about whether I'm ready to make the jump," he said."

http://www.canada.com/montrealgazette/news...k=47360&p=2

I've read comments like that in different articles (Gazette, online, ...) several times. Basically, he's expected to develop very quickly.

I've always approved of the idea of Mark. That is to say that I love multi-role, dynamic players. Mark has this in spades. He can play a complete game in my mind. As a goal scorer / sniper he may be lacking but his two way game is fantastic. And he does have a great shot! The plus's certainly outway any negatives on my mind. He adds a key piece to any championship team.

I don't mind him playing a front line roles as long as the situation dictates it! I'd prefer to pure goal scoring / point producing / gifted sniper any day but I'll take Mark as part of a team effort to win games.

GO HABS GO!

I hope Streit plays defense but I really doubt that’s where he will start the year because of the log jam unless there are some trades. When he was paired with Souray I really thought he made Souray better defensively and his outlet passing skills are among the best on the team.

As long as he is playing though he is very useful, his versatility and work ethic are an excellent example for the Canadiens young team.