Price to start the season in Hamilton

alexstream

Carbo confirmed that Price would be #1 either in Hamilton or in Montreal... but that he wouldn't have him in Montreal to be #2.

During the interview, Carbo mentioned everything Huet has done up to now (lead us to the playoffs two season ago, all star game last season, good season despite missing the playoffs) and how well Halak has played last season.

You should read the article for yourself to come to your own conclusion, but I read it and I heard it on TV and I'm 100% that if Huet is still there on the 1st day of the season (so barring any trade or injury), he will "keep" his #1 spot and Price will have to wait till Huet's next groin injury...

just finished reading the article. unless price is totally magic, he'll go back down in hamilton. it wont do him any wrong either.

my feeling is that he'll be in montreal for good by the end of the season.

Edited by marky_and_komi

As much as Huet has been important for the Habs the last couple of years, I would like to see Price and Halak in Montreal whether it be at the start or later in the season. With Huet being unrestricted at the end of the year, i think it would be in the Habs best interests to trade him once the market dictates. Package him along with some others would be great. Might as well throw Price into the fire, as he has shown at every level he prospers.

Might as well throw Price into the fire, as he has shown at every level he prospers.

I'd rather see him get a full season in the AHL and another year of maturity (moreso mental than physical) before throwing him into the hottest burning fire in hockey. Why risk ruining him?

As much as Huet has been important for the Habs the last couple of years, I would like to see Price and Halak in Montreal whether it be at the start or later in the season. With Huet being unrestricted at the end of the year, i think it would be in the Habs best interests to trade him once the market dictates. Package him along with some others would be great. Might as well throw Price into the fire, as he has shown at every level he prospers.

we should be in no hurry to dump halak or huet.... we need to give this time and figure out who are goalies of the future are

Huet's gotta go later in the season, who else should they call up?

why does he have to go?

this is the right decision by Guy, no reason for carey to be here sitting on the pine

we should be in no hurry to dump halak or huet.... we need to give this time and figure out who are goalies of the future are

why does he have to go?

this is the right decision by Guy, no reason for carey to be here sitting on the pine

Huet has no value... look at how hard it was for the Sabres to trade Biron... Moreover, he's UFA next season.

Right now he has no value, but come November or December, when the teams start to show where they stand versus pre-camp predictions, maybe someone will take a chance on him, especially if Gainey is looking to make room for Price and not in need to trade a goalie.

I think starting Price in Hamilton is the right move. He's shown he can take a team through a playoff drive and handle the pressure in doing so. Now he get accustomed to playing an 80-game season with a much tougher schedule.

I guess if Huet has an absolutely disastrous camp and Price dominates it's possible he could be the starter in October but... I just can't see it happening.

By the same token, however, the next time Montreal plays a playoff series, be it this season or the next one, if he's healthy I feel certain Carey Price will be the goalie.

Price will stand on his HEAD! you heard it here and I am proud to say that this kid is a giant playing with men. I for one welcome his addition to the Habs as soon as possible. Let the good time role! He's ready and so am I to WIN!

GO HABS GO!

We knew in July that Price would start a) in Montréal, b ) in Hamilton.

I don't think it's much use to read between the lines right now. Lets wait till camp and than start reading tween them lines. Yesterday Price pulled his left groin and could have been out for months. Lets wait for a couple of weeks. Maybe.. in a couple of weeks we sign Desjardins and have him as #1 in Montréal. Who knows? ;) Time will tell..

:hlogo:

Edited by mathieu30

If you look at my avatar you'll see who I think is the man that'll help us most between the pipes this season. Everybody's forgetting about Halak but he's the true wildcard here since he has nothing left to prove in the AHL, he showed his mettle in an NHL pressure situation by the end of last year and he showed at the WC that he was near World-class level.

If anyone steal's Huet's job, it's gonna be Halak because he's almost garanteed to stay in Montreal. From then on, either he plays so well as to steal Huet's job; or he plays so well as to push Huet to excel even more. Halak's ascension was not as spectacular as Price; but it's been as fast considering Halak was a fringe prospect when we drafted him 271th overall 4 years ago.

It takes nothing away from Price. He's 2 years younger than Halak so its normal somewhere that Price gets to spend more time in the AHL if there's no place in the NHL. There's a big difference between a playoff series and a long grueling pro season.

If you look at my avatar you'll see who I think is the man that'll help us most between the pipes this season. Everybody's forgetting about Halak but he's the true wildcard here since he has nothing left to prove in the AHL, he showed his mettle in an NHL pressure situation by the end of last year and he showed at the WC that he was near World-class level.

If anyone steal's Huet's job, it's gonna be Halak because he's almost garanteed to stay in Montreal. From then on, either he plays so well as to steal Huet's job; or he plays so well as to push Huet to excel even more. Halak's ascension was not as spectacular as Price; but it's been as fast considering Halak was a fringe prospect when we drafted him 271th overall 4 years ago.

It takes nothing away from Price. He's 2 years younger than Halak so its normal somewhere that Price gets to spend more time in the AHL if there's no place in the NHL. There's a big difference between a playoff series and a long grueling pro season.

I think at the end of the day, Halak will be one of our two goalies this season because one of several things happens:

a- Huet continues in the #1 spot and so Price is sent to minors to be #1 in Hamilton, and then, as you said, Halak will push Huet, or

b- Price is so good that the team eventually trades Huet (whether at the beginning of the year/ training camp or a little later) and Price is the starter with Halak as his back up.

I think long term, our goaltending is set between Halak and Price, with this season being the season where it shifts away from Huet at some point (could be sooner, could be later).

What would scare me is if the team trades Halak instead of Huet if they find Price is ready. I know we need help at other positions, and teams could want Halak, but our future at goaltending is Price and Halak and you can never have too much depth at goaltending (witness an injury (Huet) or someone suddenly playing badly (Theodore) and you want your back up to be good enough to be a starter)

Edited by ShortHanded

Does any of this sound familiar? That is, our youth having to do their AHL time maybe moreso than other teams in the NHL? Many have been complaining about it from time to time. Why Brisebois? Why does this player have to wait or that player? Well, anyone remember the Nova Scotia Voyageurs? It seems to me that Dryden, Shutt, Lapointe, Savard, Lemaire amongst others played for the Nova Scotia Voyageurs. The only player to immediately break through was Lafleur. Sam Pollock understood and endorsed keeping the gems in the farm system longer than other teams did.

It seems to me that Gainey has retained this philosophy. In time Price (just like Dryden) will make the team. I never really considered that Gainey is emulating Pollock's style until I really thought about it.

Patience.