Dandenault in danger of losing his job?

Jean

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070911...2/1002/CPSPORTS

What it says basically is than Carbo wants to keep 8 D in the team. He consider Markov, Harmlik , Komisarek , Streit, Brisebois and Bouillon to be locks. This leaves Dandenault, O'Byrne, Gorges, Rivers and Côté competing for the other 2 spots.

Has Dandenault really fallen behind that much, or are our young D that good? I sure hope its the second case...

If Streit hadn't played as well at the wing as he did last season, that might have been a role Dandenault could have filled. It's pretty obvious that in signing Brisebois, it meant Dandenault was going to be on the hot seat going into this season. If he doesn't make the team out of camp, I don't know how he'd welcome a role in Hamilton, so maybe Gainey can deal him to a team looking to build up their blueline a little.

http://www.cyberpresse.ca/article/20070911...2/1002/CPSPORTS

What it says basically is than Carbo wants to keep 8 D in the team. He consider Markov, Harmlik , Komisarek , Streit, Brisebois and Bouillon to be locks. This leaves Dandenault, O'Byrne, Gorges, Rivers and Côté competing for the other 2 spots.

Has Dandenault really fallen behind that much, or are our young D that good? I sure hope its the second case...

Question, did the article say if Carbo considers these guys his locks, or if it's the author who considers them locks? Did Carbo say anything to indicate it's Dandy who's fight for a spot with the "Kids"?

I personally have no problem with this, as I think of all our D, he was the weakest last year, and with Streit, Brisebois and Hamrlik basically doing the same things he does but better (breakout passes - Brisebois and Hamr are better, Speed - Streit is better), I wouldn't mind Dandy being the odd one out.

The author is interpreting what Carbo is saying, so he could be wrong. But if he's right than Dandenault's spot is not safe right now.

Both he and Bouillon had horrible years last year, but I expect Bouillon to rebound this season. Brisebois has the edge on him of being an equivalent player at half the pay; O'Byrne has the edge of being a hitter on a team that's short on size at D. I think his only real asset is that he plays on the side where the Canadiens are understaffed (if I'm not mistaken). I'm hoping BG can slip him and his 1.7 contract to some unsuspecting GM before Carbo has to cut him.

This article speaks to me of one very important tactic that most GM need to be ready for at the start of any season. a.) one or two players are not performing up to expectation, the rust needs to be shaken off. b.) injuries at the start of the season. c.) therefore, because of a + b or a/b; the GM need to trade.

Bob has positioned himself well to either trade up for talent or to have the rank and file to fill in until such time that it is necessary to trade to improve the on ice product.

Any way you cut it I like what I see not only on D but also on our front lines as well as our rook's, softs. Look for this to be a no second chances type camp/start to the season.

Gainey has the cards to make moves and keep things very competitive; we are in for some excitement this season.

GO HABS GO!

Edited by Chips

When we got him, he was useful - now, he isn't. He provides veteran depth, that's about it. All of Brisebois, Bouillon, Gorges and O'Byrne are not only more useful players (or in some cases, more in our long-term plans) but they provide a lot more bang for the buck. If we could clear out Dandenault's salary (of 1.7M) somehow we would definitely have enough cap space to make a big addition via trade.

Well i for one was a little surprised by that. Bouillon was way worse then Dandy last year, not that Dandy wasn't bad. If he does go with those 6, that is a pretty small D. What makes everyone think Bouillon will all of a sudden be a great D man?

If people remember, the only player who Souray played with when he was a plus is Dandy. He has the speed to make up for the mistakes of his team mates.

I would rather play Gorges and O'byrne, Brisbois as 5,6 and seven then either Boillon or Dandenault anyway.

I guess we will all know soon enough what the line and D pairings will be.

Well i for one was a little surprised by that. Bouillon was way worse then Dandy last year, not that Dandy wasn't bad. If he does go with those 6, that is a pretty small D. What makes everyone think Bouillon will all of a sudden be a great D man?

If people remember, the only player who Souray played with when he was a plus is Dandy. He has the speed to make up for the mistakes of his team mates.

I would rather play Gorges and O'byrne, Brisbois as 5,6 and seven then either Boillon or Dandenault anyway.

I guess we will all know soon enough what the line and D pairings will be.

I still think our "7th" will see plenty of time no matter what. Breezy and Hamr are pretty injury prone, and we have 2 D that have played a lot of forward to fill in for injuries in that position.

I still think our "7th" will see plenty of time no matter what. Breezy and Hamr are pretty injury prone, and we have 2 D that have played a lot of forward to fill in for injuries in that position.

Only twice in his twelve seasons has Hamrlik missed more than a dozen games in a season. He might be prone to miss a game here or there over the course of a season, but he's hardly an long term injury risk.

That Dandy's stock has fallen so far is another subtle indicator of how much better the Habs are than when we first acquired him (unfortunately, this failed to show up in the standings last year - go figger). Dandeneault is a bit of a mystery, really - how such a smooth skater can be so essentially medicore beats me. Bouillon, conversely, is noone's idea of a star, but at least he can lead a spectacular rush on occasion, and he can dish out some startlingly good physical play when healthy. So he'd be ahead of dandy on my depth chart too.

Edited by The Chicoutimi Cucumber

That Dandy's stock has fallen so far is another subtle indicator of how much better the Habs are than when we first acquired him (unfortunately, this failed to show up in the standings last year - go figger). Dandeneault is a bit of a mystery, really - how such a smooth skater can be so essentially medicore beats me. Bouillon, conversely, is noone's idea of a star, but at least he can lead a spectacular rush on occasion, and he can dish out some startlingly good physical play when healthy. So he'd be ahead of dandy on my depth chart too.

Yeah, it's nice to see. Like when we turned Dumont down. A couple of seasons ago we would have been ecstatic about the signing of Dumont but last year we had no room for him - and this year we have even less room.

This means the Habs are deeper at the defense position than last year when, at approximately the same time, Dandy's job was safe and we even acquired Patrick Traverse and Jane Niinimaa . I'd hate to see Dandy at $1.7M/yr spending a lot of time in the press gallery or in Hamilton. That would be quite a waste of cap room. BG should try to complete a trade but I can't see too many takers for Dandenault.

This means the Habs are deeper at the defense position than last year when, at approximately the same time, Dandy's job was safe and we even acquired Patrick Traverse and Jane Niinimaa . I'd hate to see Dandy at $1.7M/yr spending a lot of time in the press gallery or in Hamilton. That would be quite a waste of cap room. BG should try to complete a trade but I can't see too many takers for Dandenault.

There would be a few takers for sure.

Keep in mind the best case scenario is a 3rd-4th rounder for him.

Pheonix, Columbus, Washington. Florida, maybe even St.Louis would all take a shot with him for what he can bring to the table. I think BG is waiting until after camp to see who is the odd man/men out before he moves guys for late picks.

Just ship him off for a late round draft choice, save some shekles and bring up a kid who might also make mistakes, but has a lot more upside.

my point, exactly :clap: even a 5th rounder would make me happy :hlogo:

Like i have stated before, BG will hopefully ship out the Cube. I know he is a favorite amongst many, and i applaud his effort, but if the Habs are to be in the upper echelon of the NHL, there is no use for Bouillion. He is small, overated and always the cause of goals against. Why can't people see this. I would take a bag of pucks back for him. There are much better choices out there. Who cares if he gets the odd big hit. He is constantly beaten one on one and is too small to cover many of the bigger forwards. It's not like he makes great outlet passes. Much rather keep DANDY.

I think it's just you and me on the cube MFT77. Everyone else seems to think he is some awsome find, player or something. I posted something like this a while back and someone actually said he was the best 5 man in the league. When I came to, i had to read it again just to make sure i read it right. LOL.

We are definitely in the minority on him.

Like i have stated before, BG will hopefully ship out the Cube. I know he is a favorite amongst many, and i applaud his effort, but if the Habs are to be in the upper echelon of the NHL, there is no use for Bouillion. He is small, overated and always the cause of goals against. Why can't people see this. I would take a bag of pucks back for him. There are much better choices out there. Who cares if he gets the odd big hit. He is constantly beaten one on one and is too small to cover many of the bigger forwards. It's not like he makes great outlet passes. Much rather keep DANDY.

I think it's just you and me on the cube MFT77. Everyone else seems to think he is some awsome find, player or something. I posted something like this a while back and someone actually said he was the best 5 man in the league. When I came to, i had to read it again just to make sure i read it right. LOL.

We are definitely in the minority on him.

I belong to your oppenents on this. 2 years ago (before his injury) he was VERY GOOD defensively, giving big body checks, a crowd pleaser (the Darcy Tucker thing), and his first pass is almost always good. Last year though, he was awful, but i'm confident i might be the Habs player who will increase his game the most this year (maybe with Plex or Kost). IMHO, he could be a VERY decent 6th Dman.

MFT77, i honestly don't see which games you saw saying he's constantly beaten one on one, do you means against Jagr and Crosby ???

Cube will scrap too. I'd take Bou over Not-so-Dandy any day. I think when Dandy came here BG expected alot more from him. He makes big cash in my eyes. Trade him if you can for either picks or even a HEAVYWEIGHT.

Boullion is a good 5 or 6 defenseman. I like him better than Dandenault. He brings intensity to the team and if he stays healthy he will not hurt the team. :hockey:

I belong to your oppenents on this. 2 years ago (before his injury) he was VERY GOOD defensively, giving big body checks, a crowd pleaser (the Darcy Tucker thing), and his first pass is almost always good. Last year though, he was awful, but i'm confident i might be the Habs player who will increase his game the most this year (maybe with Plex or Kost). IMHO, he could be a VERY decent 6th Dman.

MFT77, i honestly don't see which games you saw saying he's constantly beaten one on one, do you means against Jagr and Crosby ???